• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trading Ohtani

18 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

This is fish is rotten from the head down. The head is the only thing that hasn't changed here. Something about the entire losing culture of this organization stinks from the top to the bottom. Was there a single Angels' fan that was hoping Arte wouldn't sell the team???

Mrs. Moreno

1 hour ago, gurn67 said:

This is fish is rotten from the head down. The head is the only thing that hasn't changed here. Something about the entire losing culture of this organization stinks from the top to the bottom. Was there a single Angels' fan that was hoping Arte wouldn't sell the team???

Trent Rush, Roger Lodge.  Etc. 

No doubt at this point, we have to trade him. I get that there will be lost revenue by trading him, but it’s what’s best for the team.

Ohtani isn’t signing here, and the prospect haul would be much much greater than just a compensation pick for losing him to free agency.

He could really tip the scales in helping a contender win this year. I’d favor a trade with the Rangers, Houston, or Seattle. Deplete their prospects!

11 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Trade him for whatever you can get.

And for the love of God, make Arte sell this team.  Enough with an owner who wants a fancy sports car and clothes to show off, meanwhile his house is rotting and falling apart from the inside. 

Arte is like our middle eastern neighbor.

I think we have a good young nucleus with O'Hoppe, Neto, Moniak, Adell, and Detmers.  The possibility of adding another piece or two by trading Ohtani is enticing.  The economic measure of satisfaction is the "util".  I, personally, would derive more utils from watching Ohtani in a playoff race and the postseason, then from watching him in play for a Halo squad that is just not going to get it done.

2 hours ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

I hate to see him go, but the odds of signing him are so small that trading him will at least gets you a decent return.

I predict the Angels keep him, then he signs elsewhere, and the Angels lose him for nothing.

Yep.  Arte ain't trading his cash cow, he'll milk those endorsement and marketing teats until the second Ohtani's locker is gone.

Unless Perry can somehow pitch him on it, I just don't see it happening.  Moreno just isn't the type of guy who's going to put the future talent depth of the franchise over his shiny object fetish (and yet another reason we needed him to sell in the offseason, because we all saw this coming).

Just now, IheartLA said:

I noticed for Ohtani’s homer they didn’t bring the kabuto out. Is everyone in the dugout just defeated and giving up now that 66% of the starting lineup is out?

I think it’s more why celebrate when they hit a home run that brings them within five runs in the 8th inning. 

I want the Angels to trade him because I think the chances of re-signing him are slim to none. The current collapse puts the final nail in the coffin. Ohtani has been open about wanting to compete, and there's really no reason to think that the Angels are capable of doing that in the near future.

Which leaves two choices:

1. Keep Ohtani on the off chance they can pull it together in the second half. This is the "So You're Telling Me There's A Chance!" Option. Sure, it could happen, but if you're Perry Minasian you have to look at odds, and the odds don't look good. Maybe <5% at this point. The positive is that we get two more months of Ohtani and Arte gets to try to make him an offer he can't refuse before the vultures jump in.
  2. Trade him for the best offer. I think people underestimate what teams will offer. Ohtani is a unique talent, so we can't just consider him a typical two month rental. He's the best player in the game and unique in baseball history. He instantly improves any contending team. I'm guessing that they'll be able to get a package of either one emerging young player with star potential a couple solid prospects, or a nice prospect only package of two good ones and two or three fringe ones.

Two weeks ago I was 50-50. When Trout got hurt, I was maybe 75% in favor of trading him. Now I'm at 90%. 

Or to put it another way, time to cut your losses and get the best package you can. I honestly think there's a good chance that there's a "Prospect bidding war" for him - with half a dozen teams making competitive offers, even upping the ante against each other. Someone might overpay significantly.

44 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think it’s more why celebrate when they hit a home run that brings them within five runs in the 8th inning. 

They were bringing it out before in blowouts, feels like the air has been knocked out of the team. I mean I understand we are under .500 more than halfway through the season, but if Ohtani is going to be traded I'm guessing the kabuto will go too.