• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trading Ohtani

22 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

When Ohtani came to the US he signed with the team that was able pay him the highest amount.

I will not be surprised if the same thing happens with his next contract.

This is incorrect and, even if the Angels could pay him the most, if he only cared about the money he would have waited what, two years until he was eligible to come over as a FA? Poor argument.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Texas had more. 

According to Spotrac on July 2, 2017 Texas signed 7 players using a total of $3,855,000 out of their allocated $4,750,000 pool.

Unless they traded for money, which I haven't found, they had less than the Angels when Ohtani signed.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/international/2017/texas-rangers/

Edit found story where the traded for money, but didn't say how much

Edited by Slegnaac

23 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

According to Spotrac on July 2, 2017 Texas signed 7 players using a total of $3,855,000 out of their allocated $4,750,000 pool.

Unless they traded for money, which I haven't found, they had less than the Angels when Ohtani signed.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/international/2017/texas-rangers/

Edit found story where the traded for money, but didn't say how much

This says Texas had the most money at $3.5 million and Seattle had as much as the Angels but I was wrong about the Cubs. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2747793-ranking-the-top-7-shohei-ohtani-favorites-heading-into-the-winter-meetings

17 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

As I recall the Angels had the most International signing funds available because of transactions the Angels made to maximize the dollar value. Seattle had the second most funds available, iirc.

Therefore the Angels were able make the best financial offer.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21712038/shohei-ohtani-sign-los-angeles-angels

Many baseball observers had long assumed Ohtani would choose a higher-profile franchise such as the Yankees or Dodgers, who would have both welcomed him into their rotation and lineup. He received serious attention from Seattle and Texas, who both could have given him more money than the Angels.

Just now, Hubs said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21712038/shohei-ohtani-sign-los-angeles-angels

Many baseball observers had long assumed Ohtani would choose a higher-profile franchise such as the Yankees or Dodgers, who would have both welcomed him into their rotation and lineup. He received serious attention from Seattle and Texas, who both could have given him more money than the Angels.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-sign-ohtani-20171208-story.html

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

The Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Royals, A's (!), Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres and Reds were all limited to $300,000 total bonus money that year, as a penalty for exceeding the limit in previous year(s).

4 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

The Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Royals, A's (!), Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres and Reds were all limited to $300,000 total bonus money that year, as a penalty for exceeding the limit in previous year(s).

Dodgers yes, but not Yankees, Mets, Red Sox. 

On 7/11/2023 at 10:19 AM, AngelsLakersFan said:

How many people in Japan are going to tune into Ohtani playoff games? I think that’s a huge multiplier potentially. I have no idea what that’s worth of course.

According to the results of the survey in June 2022, the audience rating for the Angels' games on NHK satellite broadcasting (NHK-BS) was just over 1%. The number of contracts for NHK-BS in 2022 was 22.67 million, so the actual number of viewers is just over 200,000.

AbemaTV, one of the Japanese online TV stations, had over 17.5 million views of MLB games in July 2021. There were many free broadcasts of Angels' games among MLB on AbemaTV and Ohtani had hit many home runs in June 2021.  It is estimated that the avarage number of free viewers of the each Angels' game was estimated to be close to 1 million.

There are also other online TVs with MLB coverage in Japan, and there must be overlapping viewers, it can be said that around 1 million people are watching the broadcast of the each Angels' game in Japan.

References in Japanese:

Results of the 2022 National Individual Viewership Survey in Japan (PDF)

Number of pay/multi-channel broadcasting contracts in Japan

Abema TV Views

On 7/11/2023 at 10:31 AM, AngelsLakersFan said:

The Angels most prominent in stadium sponsor is for a Japanese cat treat. Looking at the banner behind home plate is often more enjoyable than watching an Angels hitter bat. If the Dodger traded for him today I suspect they would quickly secure significant sponsorships at significantly higher value.

Reference in Japanese: The Shizuoka Shimbun (Local newspaper in Japan) April 16,2023

According to the article above, 
"Starting April 24, ads for this company will appear every home game throughout the season at Angel Stadium. The sponsorship agreement will continue beyond this season."
"In addition to the west coast, where TV commercials have already been aired, the program began airing in 6 states on the east coast in April."

-----

Churu appeared at the home stadium of the Los Angeles Angels, which belongs to the 2-way player Shohei Ohtani!
In addition, the music of Churu, which is familier with its TV commercials, will be played in the stadium.
Let's support Ohtani with cats😽

It is unknown what will happen if Ohtani moves to another team.

On 7/10/2023 at 7:53 PM, Slegnaac said:

When Ohtani came to the US he signed with the team that was able pay him the highest amount.

I will not be surprised if the same thing happens with his next contract.

No, he signed with the team that could give him a two way role he wanted, in the location he wanted, that paid him the most money.

Just now, Turd Ferguson said:

Looks like we will field offers: Angels Will Reportedly Consider Shohei Ohtani Trade Offers; Deal Seen As Unlikely - MLB Trade Rumors

It's the right thing to do, see if a team will ante up the Godfather offer; if not, then hang on and take your chances, I guess.

Have to we got no choice and I believe some team in contention will pony up for him

On 7/11/2023 at 5:47 PM, Slegnaac said:

As I recall the Angels had the most International signing funds available because of transactions the Angels made to maximize the dollar value. Seattle had the second most funds available, iirc.

Therefore the Angels were able make the best financial offer.

No. The Angels did not have the most. The Mariners did. 

Also, some of the teams in his final 7 were limited to $300k

1 hour ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Looks like we will field offers: Angels Will Reportedly Consider Shohei Ohtani Trade Offers; Deal Seen As Unlikely - MLB Trade Rumors

It's the right thing to do, see if a team will ante up the Godfather offer; if not, then hang on and take your chances, I guess.

This is best for business 

rip the band aid off 

1 hour ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Closing off any options would make no sense.....this is a huge decision that could shape the franchise for a very long time....It is frustrating (given a long season) but the next week may matter, a lot....if they win 4 of 6 from the Stros and Yanks, maybe the vibe is different....if they lose 4 or 5 of 6 and the downward trend continues, you need to know what might be out there.....

I’ve said this many times, but the whole narrative that “Ohtani wants to win” is dumb. 

Of course he wants to win. Who doesn’t want to win? What player has ever said he doesn’t want to win?

What none of us knows is “how much does the chance to win impact where you want to play? Is it 100%? 70%? 50%? 30%?”

None of us knows and he is not saying. 

Anytime anyone asks him anything that even remotely suggests a decision between teams, all he says is “I’m with the Angels. I don’t know what will happen in free agency. I am thinking about the season. Etc etc.”

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’ve said this many times, but the whole narrative that “Ohtani wants to win” is dumb. 

Of course he wants to win. Who doesn’t want to win? What player has ever said he doesn’t want to win?

What none of us knows is “how much does the chance to win impact where you want to play? Is it 100%? 70%? 50%? 30%?”

None of us knows and he is not saying. 

Anytime anyone asks him anything that even remotely suggests a decision between teams, all he says is “I’m with the Angels. I don’t know what will happen in free agency. I am thinking about the season. Etc etc.”

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

22 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yep.  The guys who signed with the Mets last winter wanted to win too.

The guys who signed with Oakland, though...while they probably want to win too, they might have been more interested in just grabbing some money and staying out of AAA.

Edited by Lazorko Saves