• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trading Ohtani

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

How many people in Japan are going to tune into Ohtani playoff games? I think that’s a huge multiplier potentially. I have no idea what that’s worth of course.

In the post season?  I don’t think it provides much of any revenue for that team that season. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

In the post season?  I don’t think it provides much of any revenue for that team that season. 

The Angels most prominent in stadium sponsor is for a Japanese cat treat. Looking at the banner behind home plate is often more enjoyable than watching an Angels hitter bat. If the Dodger traded for him today I suspect they would quickly secure significant sponsorships at significantly higher value.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The Angels most prominent in stadium sponsor is for a Japanese cat treat. Looking at the banner behind home plate is often more enjoyable than watching an Angels hitter bat. If the Dodger traded for him today I suspect they would quickly secure significant sponsorships at significantly higher value.

There was an article saying the Angels get $10 million annually in Japanese advertising. So maybe the Dodgers could secure $10 million in advertising the last two months, but that would maybe go against advertising they’ve already sold for the year. 

On 7/9/2023 at 2:52 PM, Reveille1984 said:

Yep.  Arte ain't trading his cash cow, he'll milk those endorsement and marketing teats until the second Ohtani's locker is gone.

Unless Perry can somehow pitch him on it, I just don't see it happening.  Moreno just isn't the type of guy who's going to put the future talent depth of the franchise over his shiny object fetish (and yet another reason we needed him to sell in the offseason, because we all saw this coming).

Those endorsements contracts should have been for the whole season.  I dont see why the Angels would lose that stream.

Edited by stormngt

3 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Unless a stipulation in contract.

I would think any original contract would be for the season.  It makes no business sense for Angels  to accept advertisement condition of one player being on the team or month to month.

3 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

When Ohtani came to the US he signed with the team that was able pay him the highest amount.

I will not be surprised if the same thing happens with his next contract.

Maybe but I bet he only takes offers from teams that are contenders. Even if the Angels offered him $100 mil a year, he wouldn’t sign. 

7 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Another angle.

Ohtani has only known the Angels organization. Obviously there's a comfort zone there, but over time it's possible that he just wants a change. Not even necessarily from the losing history every season of his time here, but just for a fresh perspective. New team mates, coaches, a different environment. Probably one with a winning nucleus and currently in contention. 

If he goes to a new team at the deadline it could work both ways.

He may fit in ideally and relish being on a team contending at a higher level. As well as seeing new faces and places. On the other hand, he will be expected to be the X factor and immediately upgrade the team into World Series favorite. If he/they don't meet expectations the move won't be a success. Pressure he's never had before in MLB.

As well, a new environment for a few months may make Ohtani realize that the Angels really do provide a personal comfort zone, all things considered. And if the money is right he 'd prefer being part of a long term process that will eventually lead to a championship quality team. 

The latter possibility does seem remote, but not out of the question. Stranger things have happened, though I wouldn't bet on a return once he's actually played elsewhere.

Trade him to guarantee you can resign him.  I like it.  

47 minutes ago, Jason said:

Maybe but I bet he only takes offers from teams that are contenders. Even if the Angels offered him $100 mil a year, he wouldn’t sign. 

I doubt that any of these teams would make the highest offer.

COL

WSH

ST

PIT

OAK

KC

CWS

DET

MIN

I guess if he makes it clear he has no intentions to sign a new deal then get what you can get. I'm not so sure this situation is as clear cut as everyone seems to believe. Maybe he likes it here and believes they can build a winner. The same shit was said about Trout before he signed his extension.  Ohtani did choose to sign here over any other team, maybe that means something, maybe it doesnt. Guess we'll see soon enough.

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

I guess if he makes it clear he has no intentions to sign a new deal then get what you can get. I'm not so sure this situation is as clear cut as everyone seems to believe. Maybe he likes it here and believes they can build a winner. The same shit was said about Trout before he signed his extension.  Ohtani did choose to sign here over any other team, maybe that means something, maybe it doesnt. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Just the other day Ohtani said he wants to win. It is clear that the Angels are not a winning franchise. There is a nothing in recent history that would lead one to believe that they can build a winning team. You are right though, only Ohtani really knows what will happen. 

18 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

When Ohtani came to the US he signed with the team that was able pay him the highest amount.

I will not be surprised if the same thing happens with his next contract.

No he didn't. That's just flat wrong. The Angels were not able to offer him the most. But they were competitive.

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

No he didn't. That's just flat wrong. The Angels were not able to offer him the most. But they were competitive.

As I recall the Angels had the most International signing funds available because of transactions the Angels made to maximize the dollar value. Seattle had the second most funds available, iirc.

Therefore the Angels were able make the best financial offer.

5 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

As I recall the Angels had the most International signing funds available because of transactions the Angels made to maximize the dollar value. Seattle had the second most funds available, iirc.

Therefore the Angels were able make the best financial offer.

You remember incorrectly. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Correct, but it wasn’t the most. Seattle had more as did others including the Cubs.  

I don’t think he was ever going to sign with an NL team, pre-DH. Seattle was a player….or so everyone thought…