• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

17 hours ago, Taylor said:

Lou, I have a really great show recommendation for you.

It's an older HBO show called The Wire.

Watching LoD it feels like a British attempt at The Wire but without the authenticity, or level of craft. That's not to say LoD isn't a good show, it is, the difference is people will still be talking about The Wire a hundred years from now, and God willing, they will still be trying to convince Lou to watch it.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Watching LoD it feels like a British attempt at The Wire but without the authenticity, or level of craft. That's not to say LoD isn't a good show, it is, the difference is people will still be talking about The Wire a hundred years from now, and God willing, they will still be trying to convince Lou to watch it.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

I don't think LoD is trying to be The Wire in any sense at all. 

Both of these shows are among my favourites, but I don't see any similarity beyond the genre.

The Wire is much more of an all round social commentary than just a crime drama, showing all sides of the crime game and it's societal impact: police, criminals, victims, students, teachers, politicians, reporters etc all with deep back stories to examine big social ideas. It's a show about modern America's social challenges and the blurred lines between good and bad. Each season had an overlap of characters but a fresh perspective.

LOD is purely a Police procedural with the overwhelming amount of camera time being taken by police officers, the back stories are nowhere near as deep or as far reaching and the social commentary isn't really there. It's a show about coppers nicking coppers and every season is fairly similar in setting.

Both are superior quality TV dramas I'd recommended to anyone into crime fiction.

9 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Both of these shows are among my favourites, but I don't see any similarity beyond the genre.

The Wire is much more of an all round social commentary than just a crime drama, showing all sides of the crime game and it's societal impact: police, criminals, victims, students, teachers, politicians, reporters etc all with deep back stories to examine big social ideas. It's a show about modern America's social challenges and the blurred lines between good and bad. Each season had an overlap of characters but a fresh perspective.

LOD is purely a Police procedural with the overwhelming amount of camera time being taken by police officers, the back stories are nowhere near as deep or as far reaching and the social commentary isn't really there. It's a show about coppers nicking coppers and every season is fairly similar in setting.

Both are superior quality TV dramas I'd recommended to anyone into crime fiction.

Yeah they are different shows but LoD is more than just a procedural. It's pointing it's aim back on the police department, the legal system and the politics of it all. Obviously it's not as deep as the wire but it's subject matter is much closer to it than any of the other British crime shows I've seen.

LoD Season 3

This was a real step up for an already good show. It actually made me mad at one point, and it's a rare feat to get me to feel much of anything. It was great that they let us spend more time with some characters that I didn't expect to see again. While the plot of this season can feel perhaps a little too polished it manages to work with the help of some rather humanized 'bad' guys. When you find yourself feeling conflicted about a character that's when you know a show's done a great job.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:02 AM, Redondo said:

Started the Bridge on Hulu

It's the one that takes place in El Paso and Juarez

Weak acting through the first 2 episodes

Wanted to watch the Bridge on Amazon, Norwegian series, but it costs per show

I'm sure Lou can watch it

Stick with it...it gets really good.

i've been rewatching LOD with my brother on the weekends. He's really been enjoying it, especially as we wrapped up S3 today, which was such a brilliantly done season.

he's an accountant and he tends to overanalyze things a lot, and that part gets annoying pretty quickly. 

1 minute ago, Tank said:

i've been rewatching LOD with my brother on the weekends. He's really been enjoying it, especially as we wrapped up S3 today, which was such a brilliantly done season.

he's an accountant and he tends to overanalyze things a lot, and that part gets annoying pretty quickly. 

Hey, were accountant brothers brothers!

6 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

Stick with it...it gets really good.

Into S2 now and it's better

Character development by the writers is making it work

About half way through S1 the show improved, but the first few episodes were weak