• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Mr Inbetween - Anger Management @Lou @Redondo @True Grich

Spoiler

Do you find yourself agreeing with Ray in the Anger Management classes? I must admit I do a lot more than I would have thought considering his history and choice of work etc.

Can't decide whether that is because of good writing or whether I'm actually a dormant psychopath just waiting to go all Falling Down on the world.

5 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Hide contents

Do you find yourself agreeing with Ray in the Anger Management classes? I must admit I do a lot more than I would have thought considering his history and choice of work etc.

Can't decide whether that is because of good writing or whether I'm actually a dormant psychopath just waiting to go all Falling Down on the world.

Spoiler

I agree with him on some level... but not to the extreme he does things.  I have mellowed quite a bit over the years. The world has changed quite a bit, it's not as safe any more. I don't sweat the small stuff... and usually it's all small stuff. 

26 minutes ago, True Grich said:
  Hide contents

I agree with him on some level... but not to the extreme he does things.  I have mellowed quite a bit over the years. The world has changed quite a bit, it's not as safe any more. I don't sweat the small stuff... and usually it's all small stuff. 

Spoiler

I liked the way he handled the guys that knocked his girl's ice cream away and were dicks about it. Extreme, no doubt, but like he said in the therapy, if more people got a slap for being a clear and obvious dick maybe there would be less of it around. I'm a pretty non-violent guy, but I find it hard to argue with that.

Agree on the mellowing with age, if I find myself angry at something ridiculous like traffic or weather or some ridiculously small perceived slight I more often than not end up laughing at myself pretty quickly these days. It's a much nicer life by not getting all het up over minutiae.

21 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I'm much more diplomatic in my old age

He does make some good points though

6 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I will say that I have less patience on AW though... To combat that, I've put several guys on ignore.  If I didn't, I would probably regret what I post.  Then again, maybe not - but it would tick off Chuck to some degree.

15 minutes ago, True Grich said:
  Hide contents

I will say that I have less patience on AW though... To combat that, I've put several guys on ignore.  If I didn't, I would probably regret what I post.  Then again, maybe not - but it would tick off Chuck to some degree.

Spoiler

I think to varying degrees we are all a bit of a caricature of ourselves on the internet.

Has anyone watched the Mare of Easttown on HBO?  According to the description Kate Winslet stars in this series as a small town detective who investigates a local murder as her own life crumbles around her.  Supposedly it's getting huge views, like more that GOT type views.  But I don't think I've heard anyone give their opinion on it yet.  

Just watched Nobody, starring Bob Odenkirk:

It's just a shoot 'em up really, plenty of fairly unbelievable action sequences like a John Woo or maybe John Wick to keep you entertained but nothing in the way of character development or intrigue. 

I think Odenkirk is trying to be Bruce Willis and I don't he think he quite pulls it off. On the other hand the cameo by Christopher Lloyd (the Doc from Back to the Future) was brilliant fun and probably worth the time invested on its own. 

It was OK. 6/10 

HBO Max:  Mare of Easttown  A detective series set in small town PA with a heavy dose of Rolling Rock and Yuengling as it should be if set in PA.  They really captured what small town life and police work without the glitz.  The characters were developed well.  Although they focus on Mare mainly.  Only thing I didn't like was it had just a bit too heavy of a dose of gay and disabled that just seemed out of place for the story.  It's just not what you think of in blue collared PA, especially the gay part.  As far as the policing part.  Really well done with moving goalposts.  Really good drama/cop series that I'd recommend.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

HBO Max:  Mare of Easttown   Although they focus on Mare mainly.  Only thing I didn't like was it had just a bit too heavy of a dose of gay and disabled that just seemed out of place for the story.  It's just not what you think of in blue collared PA, especially the gay part.  As far as the policing part.  Really well done with moving goalposts.  Really good drama/cop series that I'd recommend.

Expect a lot more of this. Commissioners aren't looking at scripts without disabled and gay characters being a cornerstone of the storylines. So, regardless of the story, if you want your show commissioned you're going to have to write in some disabled and gay character storylines to even get a reading. This leads to writers over egging the pudding so to speak, by writing in too woke of a manner for fear of being left on the shelf.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

HBO Max:  Mare of Easttown  A detective series set in small town PA with a heavy dose of Rolling Rock and Yuengling as it should be if set in PA.  They really captured what small town life and police work without the glitz.  The characters were developed well.  Although they focus on Mare mainly.  Only thing I didn't like was it had just a bit too heavy of a dose of gay and disabled that just seemed out of place for the story.  It's just not what you think of in blue collared PA, especially the gay part.  As far as the policing part.  Really well done with moving goalposts.  Really good drama/cop series that I'd recommend.

What’s your issue with disabled people? Why shouldn’t they be represented in media? It wasn’t in your face. There is just a minor character with Down’s Syndrome

4 minutes ago, failos said:

What’s your issue with disabled people? Why shouldn’t they be represented in media? It wasn’t in your face. There is just a minor character with Down’s Syndrome

I don't have an issue with disabled or gay, but they just seemed to throw it in there just to throw it in there.  I thought the gay part especially was overused and really had no reason to be in the series.  The disabled for Down's was just odd.  At least the main characters son having a disability, was a big part of the story and is not a minor character.  

10 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I don't have an issue with disabled or gay, but they just seemed to throw it in there just to throw it in there.  I thought the gay part especially was overused and really had no reason to be in the series.  The disabled for Down's was just odd.  At least the main characters son having a disability, was a big part of the story and is not a minor character.  

Oh you’re talking about the grandson. Plenty of people have autism or disabilities. I didn’t think they were token characters and I found the little girl with Down’s Syndrome to be very sweet.

The lesbian daughter was annoying though.

3 minutes ago, failos said:

The grandson’s developmental issues are also a pivotal part of the story due to Mare’s son similar issues.

So you don't think that 3 characters with developmental issues, and 5 gay characters in a series in smalltown PA is too much?  With 3 of the characters in the main family.  Again, if they just stuck with the 2 characters, which as you said, are pivotal to Mare's story, it would not seem like they were throwing it in your face.

2 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

So you don't think that 3 characters with developmental issues, and 5 gay characters in a series in smalltown PA is too much?  With 3 of the characters in the main family.  Again, if they just stuck with the 2 characters, which as you said, are pivotal to Mare's story, it would not seem like they were throwing it in your face.

It didn’t bother me nor did it affect my enjoyment of the show. I think it’s unusual how you’re counting people who are different from yourself. I didn’t even notice there were 5 gay characters. Now Netflix shows, throw that shit in your face and make it unavoidable to notice.

2 minutes ago, failos said:

It didn’t bother me nor did it affect my enjoyment of the show. I think it’s unusual how you’re counting people who are different from yourself. I didn’t even notice there were 5 gay characters. Now Netflix shows, throw that shit in your face and make it unavoidable to notice.

If I wanted to count who was like myself, the answer would be 0.  Zero Asians in the show.  

And the only reason I counted was because you wanted to point it out.  I just said there was a heavy dose that seemed out of place.

1 minute ago, gotbeer said:

If I wanted to count who was like myself, the answer would be 0.  Zero Asians in the show.  

And the only reason I counted was because you wanted to point it out.  I just said there was a heavy dose that seemed out of place.

I didn’t know you are Asian, I always thought people said you’re Asian like they call Adam Asian.

But when I meant people like yourself I was implying that you probably don’t have any disabilities and are heterosexual.

Anyways, I like seeing people with disabilities get a chance to act in shows ( like the kid from breaking bad). But I hate woke bullshit. I’m sure the creators of the Mare of Easttown were trying to be inclusive of people since it’s a trend, but it didn’t really seem too in your face to me. I guess that’s the point I’m trying to make.