• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

51 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I've always wondered about this show.  Give a review of it por favor.  

It's a good show, it just completely lacks believability to me. Mrs. Maisel is so far out of her husbands league it's hard to imagine him leaving her for a boring secretary. And if she is so smart why would she marry that POS in the first place?

21 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Ironic since it’s loosely based off a real story. I’ve heard other comedians talk about Lenny Bruce and his wife on the show. I haven’t seen it but comedians talk about the real parts of the show that happened in real life.

I think she is entirely made up though, right? They just thrust her character into the real world.

22 hours ago, Blarg said:

I am truly going to hate when they quit producing The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. 

Binged that whole series the past few days. I agree with you. Was bummed out last night when I watched the last episode ...mostly because I didn't know that there were only 8 episodes in the new season.

"Monk" is excellent as her father.
Going to go look up "The Good Place" 

Netflix:  Hinterland  A British crime/cop drama.  Similar to others British crime dramas like Broadchurch and Happy Valley.  Biggest difference is each crime is an episode instead of an entire season.  And each episode is about an hour and a half, with the season only being 4.  While each episode seems like a one off, there is something happening in the background that finally gets revealed in the third season.  Overall, a good Brit crime drama.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:30 PM, Brandon said:

Ironic since it’s loosely based off a real story. I’ve heard other comedians talk about Lenny Bruce and his wife on the show. I haven’t seen it but comedians talk about the real parts of the show that happened in real life.

No, it is not based in any way on Lenny Bruce's wife, she was a stripper and they had divorced before the story line starts. This is completely a fictitious character but based on the early years of the Borscht Belt comics of the 60's like Joan Rivers and Totie Fields. 

On 12/10/2019 at 5:56 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

It's a good show, it just completely lacks believability to me. Mrs. Maisel is so far out of her husbands league it's hard to imagine him leaving her for a boring secretary. And if she is so smart why would she marry that POS in the first place?

Spoiler

If you pay attention to the backstory they are tied together through Temple and family. Driving forces in the 1950's Jewish communities in New York. Their vacations in the Catskills point out how connected and known everyone is. So their coupling isn't out of the question, she's a debutante that has an off putting sense of humor, he is accepting and looks like a guy that will be a successful breadwinner. Women's roles were subservience and he seemed to let her be herself more so than society approved of at the time.

The straying of her husband is simply based on him feeling tied to a family he wasn't prepared for and locked into a job that was handed to him without merit. He wants to be a rebel and that's the reason for the stand up comedy but realizes he is a failure at that as well so the secretary is an ego boost since she wants him even though he is married. 

The backstory is slow to develop that puts them together and separates them as well. The modern man Joel represents, taking the parental responsibilities while being divorced, is as out of character and so is Midge braving the world of comedy and eschewing her own children to pursue a career. Wrap this all in the late 50's early 60's romantic musical theme the show is shot in and it melds pretty well. 

The acting is superb, the sets, costuming, choreography and cinematography is all top notch. I really can't nit pick it, even when the storytelling goes a little far simply because it is exactly what it is, a nostalgic look at the subject matter and not perfect drama.

Edited by Blarg

Netflix:  Dark Crystal Age of Resistance  I know I've seen the original way back in the day, but have no recollection of what it was about.  This new Netflix series was actually pretty good, but the hardest part is getting past the puppeteering.  Sometimes it flows well, other times it looks like rushed puppets.  Story line is pretty good.  Starts slow, but becomes better as the season goes on.  And definitely more suited as a season than a movie.  I think this one is going to be more on tastes than anything.  So if you have fond memories of the original Dark Crystal, then it'll be for you.

Watched the first episode of Ray Donovan on Amazon and liked it. Went to watch episode 2 and they want $1.99 per episode for the rest of the shows? Or sign up for Showtime. I'll pass.

Started Dogs of Berlin last night on Netflix. First episode was interesting so I'm looking forward to watching more. German language so you need to use subtitles. @Lou you might like this if you haven't seen it yet.

25 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Watched the first episode of Ray Donovan on Amazon and liked it. Went to watch episode 2 and they want $1.99 per episode for the rest of the shows? Or sign up for Showtime. I'll pass.

I don't like that Amazon does this when they also offer up the actual channel as a stand alone (like HBO, Starz, etc.) for something like $8 a month. Sign up or cancel at anytime. I do this with Power on Starz, just sign up when the show airs and cancel after. Showtime might even throw you a free trial period to where you don't even need to go the whole month just to watch the show.

But if you are binging and not following the show live I'd say wait a few weeks. The new season is on episode 5, as of this morning. The seasons are 10 or so episodes. You can just binge all seven seasons within a month.

42 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Started Dogs of Berlin last night on Netflix. First episode was interesting so I'm looking forward to watching more. German language so you need to use subtitles. @Lou you might like this if you haven't seen it yet.

thanks. it doesn't sound familiar. I'll definitely check it out.

going to start Ray Donovan tonight. 

53 minutes ago, Redondo said:

Yeah, that's one thing I don't like about Amazon.  They say it's part of Amazon, but when you click, it's part of the HBO or Starz or something that you have to pay for, but can watch it on Amazon for free once bought.  Actually I think there is a lawsuit against amazon for deceptive practices.  

I don't think it's deceptive that there are multiple options for purchase....single, episode, single season, etc. 

However, I think they should include the monthly option, too. If someone buys each episode of that season it's basically $20 for one season, whereas someone else can just order Showtime through Amazon for $8 and get every episode of every season.

On 11/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, Lou said:

I think it was S3 that I gave up on Mr Robot 

On 11/11/2019 at 4:10 PM, Taylor said:

That's too bad. You probably missed the episode that was shot in one single take.

S3 ended up being the best season of the series so far.

On 11/26/2019 at 4:12 PM, Taylor said:

Mr. Robot is excellent this season. Every episode has been incredible and moved the plot forward (even that weird episode where they were wandering through the woods).

Mr. Robot has been really, really, really good this season. It's had some slip ups along the way, but the entirety of this season has been really good. It'll be interesting to see if they can stick the landing.