• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

through 7 episodes of S4 of The Expanse. 

Amazon really upped the budget, and the show still has a pretty intriguing narrative and main cast.  Will be watching the final 3 eps on my plane rides over the next week. 

6 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

I wasn't that impressed with the story.

Hide contents

In some ways it felt like Star Trek  VI, a reunion show to give the original stars a final bow.

As for the story, felt like they took a lot from the original.  R2D2 with a secret message.  Rey, Poe, Finn, Chewie running through the Star Cruiser echos back to Leia, Luke, Han, Chewie doing the same thing.

Having to destroy an antenna, very similar to the original.

Spoiler

I kind of liked that they went the nostalgia/final bow route.  This is what, 31 years in the making?  I still remember watching it in the theaters when it came out when I was a kid.  So there were a lot of emotions there.  Especially the final set and going back to Tatooine.

It definitely had a lot of flaws.  They were trying their hardest to make it too complicated and put stupid story lines in.  Like inserting Finn way too much with whatever crap secret he had that he never told.  At least they fixed the abomination of Rose and made her absolutely minimal.  In a way, they deleted/ignored 1/3 of The Last Jedi, which is fine by me.  

But overall, they focused mainly on Rey and Kylo.  Which is what should have happened from the very beginning.  

41 minutes ago, Tank said:

my daughter has netflix. may have to ask her how to use it.

Yep. If there's something that you want to watch that you expect to be on Disney+, yet isn't, it's very likely still on Netflix due to their previous deal with Disney. It seems that the moment a film falls off of Netflix,  it will immediately jump to Disney+.

Also...

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

8/10

It feels to me that this is what Abrams had intended from the start of this arc. The movie did its job. It was a blast to watch. Given choices made in The Last Jedi, I think that everything could have unfolded as it did without need to have 

Spoiler

Rey end up being Palpatine's granddaughter.

That just seemed unnecessary. They could have come up with better on that front.

I had issues with The Last Jedi, but it had absolutely nothing to do with story choices or subversion of expectation. I felt that Last Jedi was too constrained as to location and wasted a good amount of time on a mission that lacked truly earned stakes. It was just a poorly executed film that dragged.

Solo sucks.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - 7/10

Easily my least favorite Tarantino flick. The  second half of the film was a strong B and the conclusion was excellent. But boy oh boy the first half was a total mess and QT staples just weren’t there. Uninteresting dialogue. Flashbacks weren’t interesting. Wasn’t really feeling the co-mingled storylines. Movie fell pretty flat in a lot of ways. 

It was wonderfully shot and the performances by Pitt and Leo were great. 

May modify after another viewing.

On 12/15/2019 at 5:01 PM, RallyMo said:

Mr. Robot has been really, really, really good this season. It's had some slip ups along the way, but the entirety of this season has been really good. It'll be interesting to see if they can stick the landing.

It really took an interesting twist in the last 3 episodes.  Endings in general seem to be difficult.

Goodbye,  friend.

Spoiler

Was the white light the end, or a transition to a new beginning?

Hello Elliot

On 12/23/2019 at 2:12 PM, RallyMo said:

Also...

8/10

It feels to me that this is what Abrams had intended from the start of this arc. The movie did its job. It was a blast to watch. Given choices made in The Last Jedi, I think that everything could have unfolded as it did without need to have 

Hide contents

That just seemed unnecessary. They could have come up with better on that front.

I had issues with The Last Jedi, but it had absolutely nothing to do with story choices or subversion of expectation. I felt that Last Jedi was too constrained as to location and wasted a good amount of time on a mission that lacked truly earned stakes. It was just a poorly executed film that dragged.

Solo sucks.

Spoiler

Thinking about it more.  The big moment of all the Star Wars movies was "I am your father".  Looking back at the three new films, it mirrors the first 3 films quite a bit.  But the I am your father moment of Rise was so blah.  I almost wished Rey would have been Obi Wan's great granddaughter.  Because at least that would set up the Obi Wan series.  

Oh, I still think the characters of Rose and Finn were absolutely trash, and should have been left on the cutting room floor.    

On 12/23/2019 at 3:19 PM, Adam said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - 7/10

Easily my least favorite Tarantino flick. The  second half of the film was a strong B and the conclusion was excellent. But boy oh boy the first half was a total mess and QT staples just weren’t there. Uninteresting dialogue. Flashbacks weren’t interesting. Wasn’t really feeling the co-mingled storylines. Movie fell pretty flat in a lot of ways. 

It was wonderfully shot and the performances by Pitt and Leo were great. 

May modify after another viewing.

Cliff beating the crap out of the guy at the ranch is the best scene in any movie this year.  Just give Pitt his Oscar already.

”Fix it!”

Amazon:  The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel  This is one hyped on Amazon for the last few years.  Kind of looked too girly for my taste.  But people on here were recommending it.  So on this long holiday, binged it.  Man, there is something about a proper Jewish girl swearing.  A bit unrealistic, but funny.  Yeah, I can see why it won an Emmy.  Definitely worth a watch.

Netfilx:  Don't fuck with Cats Hunting an Internet Killer  So gave this docuseries a shot.  I mean the title is just shitty.  And true to the title, it is about a bunch of SJW's.  But it is also turns out these SJW's were on to something, or possibly feeding something.  This isn't a typical Netflix's really good serial killer docuseries' that they have put out in the past.  This is a really obscure chapter in killings (and not even serial killings), but it really is a fascinating look into a killer.  This is definitely worthwhile to any crime/murder series buff and it combines SJW's to make it just fascinating.

15 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Netfilx:  Don't fuck with Cats Hunting an Internet Killer  So gave this docuseries a shot.  I mean the title is just shitty.  And true to the title, it is about a bunch of SJW's.  But it is also turns out these SJW's were on to something, or possibly feeding something.  This isn't a typical Netflix's really good serial killer docuseries' that they have put out in the past.  This is a really obscure chapter in killings (and not even serial killings), but it really is a fascinating look into a killer.  This is definitely worthwhile to any crime/murder series buff and it combines SJW's to make it just fascinating.

so what do they do, surround the killer and then yell at him for triggering them? or for culturally appropriating the cavemen of ancient times?

Watched Uncut Gems and Knives Out fairly recently. Uncut Gems is likely going to be my favorite movie of the year. Have seen pretty much of everything I'm interested in this year with the exception of Little Women, Waves, and Honey Boy, and I'm not sure any of those will beat out Uncut Gems. It's just an anxiety inducing mess, but it's great.

Knives Out is also good if you enjoy murder mystery whodunits along the lines of And There Were None, Sleuth, Gosford Park, etc...

Marriage Story is also worth checking out on NetFlix. Among my top 5 for the year currently.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:12 PM, RallyMo said:

Also...

8/10

Reveal hidden contents

Solo sucks.

Just got back from watching it. Thought it was the best of the new trilogy. Rogue One is still the best Star Wars movie since the original series still  though.