• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Finished season 4 of The Expanse. It continues to be a really engaging, quality SciFi show but I can’t help but feel like it could be better. The plot runs at hyper speed and rarely slows down enough to let the audience fully connect with the characters. 

I thought season 4 seemed like they rushed the story a bit too much.  Like that whole planets storyline could have been expansed another season.  And Mike Napoli is still awesome in it.

1 minute ago, gotbeer said:

I thought season 4 seemed like they rushed the story a bit too much.  Like that whole planets storyline could have been expansed another season.  And Mike Napoli is still awesome in it.

Lol. Yeah, I have felt that way about every season. They love to introduce a great scenario then rush through it to get to the next great scenario. I mean they have gone from a missing persons case and some geo-political maneuverings affecting miners in the asteroid belt to

Spoiler

exploring other galaxies through a ring created by an extinct alien civilization 

all in the span of 3 seasons.

I would’ve loved if they could’ve dedicated an extra season to each of the major plot lines.

Netflix:  Kevin Hart Don't F**k this Up.  This is one of those weird self documentaries.  It showed his warts and all.  But it just seemed like he was using this documentary to explain his big miscues.  Almost trying to use this series to gain forgiveness and show he should host the Oscars.  That whole part with the gay staffer just seemed forced.  There is a lot you learn about him, so worth a watch.  

22 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Netflix:  Kevin Hart Don't F**k this Up.  This is one of those weird self documentaries.  It showed his warts and all.  But it just seemed like he was using this documentary to explain his big miscues.  Almost trying to use this series to gain forgiveness and show he should host the Oscars.  That whole part with the gay staffer just seemed forced.  There is a lot you learn about him, so worth a watch.  

Yeah I actually respect what he's trying to do though I'd rather he take the Chappelle route. He's try to to get back in the Woke world's good graces without bending a knee. 

I started watching The Expanse after seeing people mention it here.  I watched the first season when it aired on SciFi channel but fell behind when the second season came out and never got back into it.  I picked up with the first episode because while I remembered some of it I didn't remember nearly enough to jump into season 2.  I don't think at the time I appreciated how good the episodes look compared to some other SciFi shows.  It makes me think more of Battlestar Galactica rather than old school Star Trek which some other recent SciFi space shows I've watched (nerd alert) follow which are cheesier when it comes to visuals and the story.  

Netflix:  Messiah  This is one of those philosophical series, that's going to rile up a bunch of feathers.  Is he or isn't he.  Then you add in points of view.  Then you add in greed and power.  They add enough in to make you not believe, and enough to make you believe.  Then as a kicker, you add in the flawed apostles.  Half the show has subtitles, mainly the beginning, so you are halfway intruding on Lou's world.  Overall, I thought this was a good take on WWJD if he was around right now.  This is probably not going to be for everyone because it deals with a lot of various religions.  But it does make you think.

25 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I started watching The Expanse after seeing people mention it here.  I watched the first season when it aired on SciFi channel but fell behind when the second season came out and never got back into it.  I picked up with the first episode because while I remembered some of it I didn't remember nearly enough to jump into season 2.  I don't think at the time I appreciated how good the episodes look compared to some other SciFi shows.  It makes me think more of Battlestar Galactica rather than old school Star Trek which some other recent SciFi space shows I've watched (nerd alert) follow which are cheesier when it comes to visuals and the story.  

I've read the books, at least the original trilogy. I'm running into the same challenge with the show, haven't made it through season 1, that I did with the books...Holden is a whiny bitch who seems to go out of his way to do the wrong thing

Not sure how true the show is to the books but so far in the show Holden is definitely a guy I want to see get punched in the face more often than not.  I understand that he isn't like Miller or Amos but his always do good hero mentality doesn't cut it in quite a few of the situations they're in.  Doesn't mean he should do a 180 but his actions sometimes seem to be more detrimental than actually helping his crew or whoever.  That said it seems like most shows/stories have that character these days so they can clash with the ones that just don't give a crap and will pull the trigger literally or figuratively without thinking twice.     

On 1/6/2020 at 10:26 AM, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Not sure how true the show is to the books but so far in the show Holden is definitely a guy I want to see get punched in the face more often than not.  I understand that he isn't like Miller or Amos but his always do good hero mentality doesn't cut it in quite a few of the situations they're in.  Doesn't mean he should do a 180 but his actions sometimes seem to be more detrimental than actually helping his crew or whoever.  That said it seems like most shows/stories have that character these days so they can clash with the ones that just don't give a crap and will pull the trigger literally or figuratively without thinking twice.     

His characterization is one of my problems with the show. He is the prototypical television hero without an ounce of nuance in his body. Don't get me wrong, I like the show quite a bit, but the characters lack the nuance of those you would find in say, Battlestar Galactica.

I finally watched "Joker" last night.

It was just 'OK.' I can see where the hype came from but it was just so derivative and I think tying this into the batman universe is problematic. I'm almost 100% sure that the creators were big fans of Taxi Driver and probably watched Network while they were writing the script. The studio told them, 'hey we love it but we're not sure how we can market this" so they said, 'what if we make this into a Joker origin story, would you go for it then???' The rest is history. 

Amazon:  The Report  So a documovie about the CIA's detention and interrogation program.  Hard to believe they could get away with some shady stuff like what was in this movie.  For history buffs, definitely worth the watch.  Even for the casual viewer, it's worth watching, just to know the shit they did.