• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

going to see rise of Skywalker tomorrow. looking forward to it. have watched the last Jedi twice to refresh on the story lines, like the kid who wears the resistance ring and the golden pair of dice that kylo ren found when the rebels abandoned the base at the very end of the movie.

Netflix:  The Witcher  I thought this was one confusing series.  They liked to use flashbacks and maybe even flashforwards without telling you they were flashing back and forward.  And everything in the series just seemed to be out of order.  In the end, I think it all comes together.  But in the series, I just didn't know what was going on half the time.  The story was with wizards and knights, and the witcher who isn't a witch but has mystical powers and kills things and seems to get his ass kicked a lot, but then ends up winning, but is always broke.  So I guess the GOT or fantasy crowd might like it.  There is potential in this series, but it needs a bunch of editing help.

It needed a lot of over eager producer editing. The disjointed storyline simply made it hard to watch. There were a few times I thought I must have skipped an episode. This is on the Producers table for being too close to the production and not sitting in a chair watching it without knowing how it unfolds.

I am no fan of focus groups, they often feel the need to make a comment even if none are needed. But in this case they probably should have brought in a few people that were not connected to the production to guage their reactions. Can they follow the storyline as presented or did they need to either play it out linear or dilineate time frames. 

What struck me in the first episode was Cavill's voice. It felt like a cartoon voice, too resonate, too epic hero. By the third episode it was just a character voice but still seemed over the top, like they added a filter in audio post. 

12 hours ago, Lou said:

will I be lost if I only watched the original Star Wars?

if you've only watched the original trilogy (episodes 4-6) then there will be some things that you won't understand. if you watch The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, you'll be fine. They're both on Disney+. Watching episodes 1-3 isn't necessary (unless you enjoy seeing Natalie Portman looking amazing).

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

@Blarg  Oh good.  So it wasn't just me.  It's a shame too.  It has the potential to be a really good series.  

* edit.  And if you really want to get confused.  Look up Witcher timeline.  It's all over the place.  

Yeah, the timeline for the show is about 16+ years of flip flopping from what I could parse and more if you want to look at his childhood abandonment. Obviously not good storytelling if a fantasy world junkie like you were wondering why characters bounced from one status to the next but also never aged. 

Kevin Hart's Don't F**K This Up documentary was really good.  When I first started watching it I figured it was something that his team created and put it out to make him look good but it covers a lot of his mess ups and shows him being an ignorant ass.  I thought it gave a real look into the life of a famous person taking off into stardom and the pitfalls that may come of it.  It felt really honest which i appreciated.  

The Rise of Skywalker - A

thought it was very well done and resolved all of the major plotlines that needed to be resolved. It also opened the up the possibility for some spin offs. 

found several parts in the last third of the movie to be very emotional for me.

was surprised at revelation of Rey's lineage, but disappointed in how it was delivered to the audience. 

Spoiler

I liked the scene with Han an awful lot. I like how "Ben" came around and how Rey stood firm in her resolve. Expect to see someone in the future find the two lightsabers Rey buried. also expect to see a story arc about Zorii and Poe.

Rise of Skywalker was a mess. Rian Johnson was taking the series in an awesome direction with The Last Jedi, but Disney gave in to the fanboys and contrived an episode 9 that was predictable, safe, and emotionally unaffecting.

TLJ > TFA >>>>>>>>>>> TRoS

Spoiler

It took zero risks. They "killed off" Chewie, only to reveal 2 minutes later that he was actually aboard another ship that nobody saw. They erased C3PO's memory, only to have it restored.

The first half of the movie was Rey and company chasing a thing that will lead them to another thing that will lead them to another thing. They find the first thing on accident by falling through quicksand, and then it's conveniently right there. Kylo Ren's plan was to take Rey to Exeter (sp?) where they'd defeat Palpatine together. So why didn't he just say, "You can stop looking for the wayfinder. I'll take you there myself."

The Resistance spends Episodes 8 and 9 trying to recruit help, with no luck. Lando is gone 45 minutes and brings back the entire universe.

Palpatine has been spending 100 years on a weird planet building thousands of star destroyers and Snokes in front of a crowd of shadowy Sith folk. Um, OK. Did I mention that each of the star destroyers is equipped with a planet destroyer, and that one shot from a X-Wing to the planet destroyer completely obliterates the entire ship. 

I did like Rey mortally wounding Ren and then healing him. I also liked the Han Solo appearance.

Honestly, the movie was a lot of fun to watch, but as soon as I thought about it, I couldn't get past the lazy writing.

Edited by Taylor

On 12/30/2019 at 2:19 PM, OCAngelsNotLAA said:

Kevin Hart's Don't F**K This Up documentary was really good.  When I first started watching it I figured it was something that his team created and put it out to make him look good but it covers a lot of his mess ups and shows him being an ignorant ass.  I thought it gave a real look into the life of a famous person taking off into stardom and the pitfalls that may come of it.  It felt really honest which i appreciated.  

Cool, I'll start this now. I passed on it because I thought it was a comedy special and he's a little too animated for me. If you are on a Kevin Hart kick, he had one of my favorite podcasts of the year. He was direct, insightful, and just said a lot of shit people need to hear that face tough times or adversity. This was about 8 months ago, though, so the car accident had not happened yet, but a lot of the other shit had. Changed my outlook on him as a person.

Edited by Brandon

I saw a bunch of movies last week. Here are my updated rankings:

1. A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

2. Knives Out

3. Uncut Gems

4. Dark Waters

5. Rocketman

6. Parasite

7. 1971

8. Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood

9. The Farewell

10. Queen & Slim

1. Ford v Ferrari

2. Toy Story 4

3. The Peanut Butter Falcon

4. The Lighthouse

5. Avengers: Endgame

6. Us

7. Little Women

8. Midsommar

9. Jojo Rabbit

10. Frozen II

11. Spider-Man: Far from Home

12. Doctor Sleep

13. Ad Astra

14. Judy

15. Booksmart

16. Shazam!

17. Captain Marvel

18. It Chapter Two

19. Joker

20. Ready or Not

21. Good Boys

22. Apollo 11

23. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

24. Pokémon Detective Pikachu

25. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

26. Jumanji: The Next Level

27. Yesterday

28. Pet Sematary

29. Long Shot

30. Annabelle Comes Home

31. The Best of Enemies

32. Crawl

33. Glass

34. Zombieland: Double Tap

35. Happy Death Day 2U

36. Stuber

37. The Secret Life of Pets 2

38. The Lion King

39. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

40. Isn’t It Romantic

41. Ma

42. Brightburn

43. Cold Pursuit

44. Escape Room

45. Greta

46. Child’s Play

2 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Yeah but your wife also made you like the chick Ghostbusters.

We both enjoyed it. We have a similar taste in movies.

Which I'm grateful for. She has no interest in the Nicholas Sparks-esque romance movies. Her favorite genre is horror.

On 12/30/2019 at 2:19 PM, OCAngelsNotLAA said:

Good call. I liked all six episodes. There is nothing like a story about someone that seems to have everything, fucks up multiple times, but finds a way to persevere. Ironically, that video I put in my last post is the same one that is shown in the documentary.

23 hours ago, Taylor said:

Rise of Skywalker was a mess. Rian Johnson was taking the series in an awesome direction with The Last Jedi, but Disney gave in to the fanboys and contrived an episode 9 that was predictable, safe, and emotionally unaffecting.

TLJ > TFA >>>>>>>>>>> TRoS

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

the emperor died when Darth Vader threw him into the abyss on the Death Star. How did he come back to life? and who/what was snokes? where did he come from? I agree with you about Chewie - there was zero reason to believe he was on another ship that none of us ever saw.

I'd like to see it again.

I still wonder about the golden dice and what they meant to the story.

Spoiler

Palpatine said at the beginning of the movie that he created Snoke, and then there was a shot of giant test tube looking things with two Snoke faces inside.

I don't think the intention was ever to bring Palpatine back. But when the Star Wars fanboys reacted so vehemently to TLJ, Disney freaked out and course corrected to a storyline that would hopefully make the fanboys happy.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

thanks. there was a lot to consume and that's why I want to see it a second time.