• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A handful of the remaining FA starting pitchers: any interest?

rafibomb

I think the Angels should get Ryan Tepera.  Of those pitchers the one that I think has the lowest risk is Yusei Kikuchi.  So I’m mildly interested in him.  Rodon is interesting as well but mega health risk.  Given the injury at the end of last season I have no interest in Kershaw.  The others, meh.  Maybe Duffy has some use as back end/spot starter. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think the Angels should get Ryan Tepera.  Of those pitchers the one that I think has the lowest risk is Yusei Kikuchi.  So I’m mildly interested in him.  Rodon is interesting as well but mega health risk.  Given the injury at the end of last season I have no interest in Kershaw.  The others, meh.  Maybe Duffy has some use as back end/spot starter. 

Tepera shows up every season and bores his way to a solid season.  One of those guys that has been a solid slop reliever.  

4 hours ago, UtahHalo said:

If Greinke can be had for anywhere near the $9MM estimated market value on Spotrac, the Angels should be all over that.

I'm all aboard this as well if we don't get Rodon. Just enough depth and more veteran presence to have Detmers and Canning on the outside looking in when the season starts with no pressure to perform.

Edited by rafibomb

I have to assume something is wrong with Rodon health wise.  I've mentioned it a few times, but he is a slam dunk QO candidate, so the fact that the White Sox didn't offer it to him is a red flag to me.  I am assuming Kershaw will either re-sign with the Dodgers or go play for the Rangers.

Danny Duffy might be worth taking a flyer on.  He's been a solid, if unspectacular, pitcher in the recent past.  Not a high ceiling, but he'd likely be able to provide some decent innings and can likely be had on a very cheap deal (1yr, 2-3mil?) given recent health issues.

As it stands, I'm assuming we have ~10-20mil left to spend, assuming Arte either stops at last year's payroll of increases it a bit further.  I am assuming we will see, at the minimum, another reliever, middle infielder, and backup catcher.  

14 hours ago, rafibomb said:

To add on here are some of the remaining relievers:

Colin McHugh

Kenley Jansen

Ryan Tepera

Andrew Chafin

Tony Watson

STEVE CISHEK

Richard Rodriguez

Joe Kelly

Adam Ottavino

Chris Martin

Jimmy Nelson

Archie Bradley

Unless they say they want to be a starter and the Angels sign them and we all just ridiculously assume they are probably better as a starter than the other actual starters already in the organization.

15 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Starters (projected WAR on FanGraphs)

Carlos Rodon (3.8)

Clayton Kershaw (3.1)

Yusei Kikuchi (2.2)

Zack Greinke (1.9)

Michael Pineda (1.6)

Tyler Anderson (1.3)

Matthew Boyd (1.3)

Johnny Cueto (1.0)

Danny Duffy (2.1)

Kwang Hyun Kim (1.3)

The bigger question is, would any of them be willing to change their routine to pitching every sixth day?

Rodon, Cishek, Watson, Duffy.

But honestly at this point I pivot and try to sign Trevor Story to a 21-22M deal for 2 seasons.

See if he wants to re-enter the market in two years after establishing he can hit outside Coors.

16 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Starters (projected WAR on FanGraphs)

Carlos Rodon (3.8)

Clayton Kershaw (3.1)

Yusei Kikuchi (2.2)

Zack Greinke (1.9)

Michael Pineda (1.6)

Tyler Anderson (1.3)

Matthew Boyd (1.3)

Johnny Cueto (1.0)

Danny Duffy (2.1)

Kwang Hyun Kim (1.3)

Im actually liking the shorter term concept, ive warmed to it, the reality is we dont need 5-10 year guys, we have a ton of kids that will be ready in a couple years.  Sure an ace would be nice, but it isnt requisite if we make the right moves elsewhere.
This class had a lot of big names, none that had zero concerns.
There are still some options here that make some sense, and some i just cant see.

16 hours ago, rafibomb said:

To add on here are some of the remaining relievers:

Colin McHugh

Kenley Jansen

Ryan Tepera

Andrew Chafin

Tony Watson

STEVE CISHEK

Richard Rodriguez

Joe Kelly

Adam Ottavino

Chris Martin

Jimmy Nelson

Archie Bradley

This is the list i think im most concerned with.
We still need at least one more top bullpen arm in my opinion. 
There is a lot of help on this list to be had.  
Heck even Cishek didn't pitch poorly overall and finished way better than he started.