• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Congratulations to Kim Ng

Revad

5fb34612329d1.image.jpg

The Marlins have made a groundbreaking hire, as the team announced that Kim Ng will be the team’s new general manager.  MLB Network’s Jon Heyman was the first to report the news that Ng will join the Marlins, making her the first Asian-American GM in Major League Baseball history and the first woman to ever act as a GM for a men’s team in any of the major North American sports.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/marlins-to-hire-kim-ng-as-general-manager.html

Did the Angels miss out on not hiring her?

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Don’t recall seeing her name in our list of finalists.  Not too surprised. All she’s done is win.  We are 1-69.  

She was interviewed in 2011, when they hired Dipoto.  She likely wasn’t interviewed this time because they didn’t see it as a good fit.   She could be amazing as a GM, I hope she is.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

She was interviewed in 2011, when they hired Dipoto.  She likely wasn’t interviewed this time because they didn’t see it as a good fit.   She could be amazing as a GM, I hope she is.  

Yeah, that ship sailed 9 years ago.  She moved on, we moved on.  

31 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

She's consonant with success. NGL, a big miss

So we've already failed with our selection of GM a day after it's been announced. Got it. 1 she wasn't one of the people we interviewed so we didn't miss on anything. 2 we have no idea how our guy will do or how she will do, hope she does well but who the heck knows on either of the hires at the moment right now it's just well wishes and hopes. 3 I don't know what NGL means.... 4 Go Angels we made our hire there is no going back now. Wait a couple years and then get back to me.

I'm happy to hear she will get the chance after being an assistant with other organizations. There weren't a lot of these jobs open this offseason. I'm glad she got one of them. I think it remains to be seen how good the MIA job is, though. Will it be a situation where they can keep their homegrown talent (Stanton, Yelich), or will they still sell off players like that because of cost?

1 minute ago, Jeremiah said:

I'm happy to hear she will get the chance after being an assistant with other organizations. There weren't a lot of these jobs open this offseason. I'm glad she got one of them. I think it remains to be seen how good the MIA job is, though. Will it be a situation where they can keep their homegrown talent (Stanton, Yelich), or will they still sell off players like that because of cost?

Stanton it's looking more and more like the right call to sell him off that guy is consistently injured. Yellich may be a big regret though. 

It's awesome that she got hired, but how can you say that the Angels may have "missed out" on her? What moves has she made in the last 24 hours since Minasian was hired as GM makes you think that the Angels missed out on her?

The Angels hired the person they thought was best suited for their job, and the Marlins hired the person they thought was best suited for their job.

Both haven't been on the job for more than a day. You can't say that the Angels may have "missed out" on her.

Honestly, it's just like when people say Arte Moreno was there first Mexican-American team owner, it really doesn't matter and I don't think ethnicity played a role in his purchase of the team. 

Kim Ng doesn't have a Y chromosome. I'm not exactly sure why that's a pertinent detail in the hiring process.

Happy for her. Should be good overall for baseball. 

She clearly has a lot of experience, but I'm not sure what her background is as far as expertise. The impression I got is that Arte was focused on player development and scouting particularly. It may be from the previous interview that he didn't feel that she was the strongest candidate in those areas compared to other options. 

But who knows. Maybe he made a huge error. 🤷🏻‍♂️