• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Congratulations to Kim Ng

Revad

43 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Honestly, it's just like when people say Arte Moreno was there first Mexican-American team owner, it really doesn't matter and I don't think ethnicity played a role in his purchase of the team. 

Kim Ng doesn't have a Y chromosome. I'm not exactly sure why that's a pertinent detail in the hiring process.

I agree. Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier was also no big thing, and we should stop glamorizing it.

16 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I agree. Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier was also no big thing, and we should stop glamorizing it.

I’m uneasy about hiring someone based on gender or race or whatever, just the best person for the job. But I expect big things from Ng  as she is clearly talented.

15 hours ago, Second Base said:

Honestly, it's just like when people say Arte Moreno was there first Mexican-American team owner, it really doesn't matter and I don't think ethnicity played a role in his purchase of the team. 

Kim Ng doesn't have a Y chromosome. I'm not exactly sure why that's a pertinent detail in the hiring process.

any profession that is so white male dominated as to have never had anything other than white males doing it should make those details pertinent.

it mattered when a mexican bought a major sports professional sports franchise. it mattered the first time a black man was allowed into mlb, or as an nfl qb, or as an nfl head coach, etc. etc. and it matters now when an asian american female gets a position that no other asian or female has ever held before.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Jackie Robinson is in the HOF not because of the color of his skin, but because he was effing amazing at baseball.

I understand what you are saying...but please don't reduce what Jackie Robinson endured because he was black while being effing amazing at baseball.  He is in the hall of fame for many reasons including playing baseball.

11 minutes ago, ukyah said:

everybody knows she got hired because of her immense qualifications, but the rest is pertinent too. no matter how much you'd like it not to be.

Historically, how many other people also immensely qualified to be a GM were over-looked for what-ever reason...it's nice to see qualifications and performance be recognized independent of other qualities.

16 hours ago, floplag said:

Oh wow i had forgotten about her im embarrassed to admit.  Heard her name everywhere a few years back then nothing... glad shes finally getting a shot. 

I think a lot of people had, it had been a while since she was even mentioned as a candidate...  I think when she took a job with MLB itself she likely fell off some front office peoples' radar.  Like everything else it may have been a case of what have you done for me lately.  Her not being a part of any one teams front office likely lowered her profile a bit.   

I wonder if she had given up on getting that top spot and Jeter calling changed all that.  The end result is someone who was seen as highly capable is finally getting their shot, and MLB may have seen a glass ceiling shattered.

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I really don't think the Angels missed out on any opportunities here. They culled known people that were working for clubs in positions that qualified them for the job. 

Right.  They cast a wide net and ended up hiring the second in command with the Braves, who are a very successful organization, and a guy who has spent close to a decade working under one of the best in the business (Anthropolous) and is widely considered to be very strong at scouting and developing talent.

I'm super happy with our pick of Minasian, and likewise, I'm super stoked for Ng and the Marlins.  I think it is reasonable that we can be happy for both parties while not feeling like we missed out.