• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tommy La Stella traded to the A's for Franklin Barreto

mmc

Next year without Barreto our middle infield depth was Fletcher and Rengifo.  That is it.  I guess some dude named Eric Rivera (I think that is his name) has been on the taxi squad.  So there is that I guess.  We were worse off at middle infield major league depth than any other position.  Worse than pitching, worse than catching, worse than 1st base.  

Just now, Stradling said:

We are sellers.  He can be re-signed after the season.  Within the division is meaningless when we are out of it and we don't play them again this season.  If you and I know that pitching is a need then Eppler knows it as well.  That means pitching wasn't going to happen.  This team needs pitching, this team needs major league ready middle infield depth and this team needs catching.  It got one of the three for 30 games of La Stella.  

Good points. I’m just pissed because I came into this season excited about Maddon and La Stella teaming up again...and La Stella had been great since he joined the team. 

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Next year without Barreto our middle infield depth was Fletcher and Rengifo.  That is it.  I guess some dude named Eric Rivera (I think that is his name) has been on the taxi squad.  So there is that I guess.  We were worse off at middle infield major league depth than any other position.  Worse than pitching, worse than catching, worse than 1st base.  

Rojas too, but the MIF depth is definitely something to be addressed.

24 minutes ago, failos said:

Because La Stella is a fan favorite maybe? He’s been one of the only bright spots on this shitty ass team....and Eppler traded him for another infielder instead of addressing the team’s actual need: pitching. La Stella deserved an extension not a trade within our own division. If you don’t get why people are upset then I don’t know what to say to you.

Simmons FA.   
La Stella  FA...   

Don't look now but the Angels needed an IFer, in large part so they can use the money it would take to retain those guys on .. oh I dunno, maybe  ESTABLISHED pitching?   Beyond that your bright spot was a defensive liability who cost the team multiple games because he can't field any position worth a shit.

There is a reason he's never been allowed to take the field at any one position for more than 350 innings more than once in his entire career.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

So....  Just to look at this outcome a little differently.

Eppler turned RP Conor Lilis-White, into 1.5 seasons of Tommy La Stella and potentially 5 years of a 24 year old former 4 time top 100 SS/2B who posted a.900+ OPS in AAA.

Conor Lilis-White is out of baseball.

Why are some of you crying?

Because it wasn't Dustin May.

Eppler turned RP Conor Lilis-White, into 1.5 seasons of Tommy La Stella and potentially 5 years of a 24 year old former 4 time top 100 SS/2B who posted a.900+ OPS in AAA.

Probably because La Stella was a pretty solid player for us and Baretto is not a pitcher. 

La Stella is a free agent in a month. They can resign him if they want. Though I think it’s LaStella or Simmons next year, or LeMahieu or Semien honestly, and only one of those four FA. 

I didn’t remember much about Barretto but in 4 years of Major League AB’s he has accumulated only 205 AB’s. So let’s not judge him to harshly. He’s just 24. It not like he’s 27 or 28. He used to be a top prospects and frankly kills the ball in AAA. Yes like Ward, and Walsh, and some of you have brought up Grant Green.

He’s good defensively. He makes sense as a utility guy. If he plays most days at 2nd or SS going forward, I could see him hitting as well as La Stella did in his two years here.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

La Stella is a free agent in a month. They can resign him if they want. Though I think it’s LaStella or Simmons next year, or LeMahieu or Semien honestly, and only one of those four FA. 

I didn’t remember much about Barretto but in 4 years of Major League AB’s he has accumulated only 205 AB’s. So let’s not judge him to harshly. He’s just 24. It not like he’s 27 or 28. He used to be a top prospects and frankly kills the ball in AAA. Yes like Ward, and Walsh, and some of you have brought up Grant Green.

He’s good defensively. He makes sense as a utility guy. If he plays most days at 2nd or SS going forward, I could see him hitting as well as La Stella did in his two years here.

I like the trade, but I'd be absolutely blown away if that happens. Obviously hoping it does. La Stella put up a 122 OPS+ in his 2 years in Anaheim, that's a lot to ask out of Barreto. I'd settle for a 95 OPS+ with great defense out of him

28 minutes ago, RendZone said:

He’s a hint, Eppler has had about 5 months to think about it so please spare the Excuse-a-Matic machine response. 

LOL.   Always hilarious when the village idiot tries to play it off like he's smart.   

What excuse am I making?  Im pointing out the obvious, which you always miss because you're incapable of seeing the forest for the trees.   La Stella was so highly thought of that he was previously acquired along with two years of control for a minor league RP that is out of baseball.   Dude now has ONE month of control left.   Now they got 5 years of control over someone that can actually field a position and fills a need moving forward.  No idea if he's going to actually pan out, but it's not like acquiring a defensive black hole when you have two other MIF under contract for 3-4 more years as was the case with Grant Green.

The Angels got pretty much all you could get out of a one dimensional talent that they were able to get more out of than anyone else previous had.

This is like being proud of still holding AT&T stock after you bought it in March 2019. 

1 minute ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

It’s too bad Eppler waited until the very few trade pieces he had are 1 month rentals. Simmons and La Stella should have been gone in December 2019 at the latest. 

Nice hindsight post. In Dec 2019, the Angels thought they would be more competitive in 2020, and over a full season.

3 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I like the trade, but I'd be absolutely blown away if that happens. Obviously hoping it does. La Stella put up a 122 OPS+ in his 2 years in Anaheim, that's a lot to ask out of Barreto. I'd settle for a 95 OPS+ with great defense out of him

It’s possible. He’s had a .926 OPS in 2019 in AAA. And high .800’s the year before. Fletcher’s numbers in his age 21-23 seasons weren’t close to Baretto’s either.