• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tommy La Stella traded to the A's for Franklin Barreto

mmc

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

It’s possible. He’s had a .926 OPS in 2019 in AAA. And high .800’s the year before. Fletcher’s numbers in his age 21-23 seasons weren’t close to Baretto’s either.

Yeah, it's possible. But I'd say it's beginning to become pretty doubtful. Like I said, he doesn't even have to be that good of a hitter for this trade to easily be worth it.

Time will tell

Just now, Vladdylonglegs said:

It’s too bad Eppler waited until the very few trade pieces he had are 1 month rentals. Simmons and La Stella should have been gone in December 2019 at the latest. 

It makes me laugh when the press and fans bring up the trade deadline that forces lazy GM’s to make last minute stupid decisions when they should’ve been working all season long to make better decisions. The smart GM’s pounce on these giveaways. 

11 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Franklin Barreto content from BA

Franklin Barreto, 2B

In return for La Stella, the A’s picked up Barreto, a young infielder who started his career with the Blue Jays, then was dealt to Oakland as the centerpiece in the Josh Donaldson trade in 2014. Since then, he’s bounced from Triple-A to the big leagues and had been squeezed out of the regular playing time and had just 10 plate appearances all season. With the Angels, Barreto will get a change of scenery and ample playing time to potentially unlock the talent evaluators had lauded for years.

2019 (Players that stood out last ST)

8. Franklin Barreto, INF/OF, Athletics

A former top prospect who made his major league debut last year, Barreto has been squeezed from the Athletics' middle infield plans with incumbent shortstop Marcus Semien and newly acquired Jurickson Profar taking over at second base. As a result, the Athletics have been trying Barreto in center field, where he is still very much learning a new position. He's a natural shortstop by trade, and he really profiles more as a second baseman in the future. 

After waiting a couple of games to see Barreto really challenged in the outfield, the wind was blowing out in tough conditions on March 13 against the Cubs. On two hard-hit balls to either side of him, Barreto took some circular routes to the ball. Both hits were into the gap and would have been tough plays for even the best defensive center fielders, but he wasn't really close to either one. Seeing these plays made me question just how much value Barreto will bring in the outfield. I believe that you can't just take any athlete or baseball player and stick him in the outfield. Reads, especially with challenging winds and the sun, are difficult. And with Barreto's prospect pedigree at shortstop, I don't believe he's really had much experience in he outfield before this year. The way he's been hitting this spring, I would honestly like to see him more at shortstop. If Semien doesn't hit well enough, Barreto, with his projectable hit tool, plus bat speed and compact swing, might be the guy to step in and get everyday at-bats there. I just haven't seen him used in that role.

2019 (Fantasy Stock)

📈 Surging
Franklin Barreto, Athletics
Triple-A Las Vegas (Pacific Coast)
13.3 RAA, 1.2 WAA, 181 OPS+, 192 XB+, 302 SB+

Barreto is a four-time Top 100 Prospect who exhausted his rookie eligibility last season—barely—but entered 2019 with no footing in Oakland. He looked like a new player at Triple-A this year, slashing his strikeout rate from 32 percent to 25 percent while maintaining power and showing greater willingness to run. In June, Barreto smashed nine homers and went 6-for-6 in steals. Now the 23-year-old is the Athletics' primary second baseman after taking over for Jurickson Profar, reminding us all that fortunes can change quickly in baseball.

Franklin Barreto, 2B/SS
Triple-A Nashville

Outside of a few tape-measure home runs, Barreto hasn’t found much success in Oakland yet. The Athletics like his well-rounded game, though, and expect he will catch on to major league pitchers. After all, he has batted more than 1,200 times at Double-A and Triple-A at a young age because the ball comes off his bat so well. Barreto also brandishes plus speed, a strong arm and good hands at either middle infield spot.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.06.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.06.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.05.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.04.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.04.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.05.47 PM.png

In case anyone missed the reports on this young man. Super talented with minor league results.

Let's hope with consistent playing time it clicks for this kid.

1 minute ago, Fourts said:

Huh?  You’re analogy here makes no sense since IPs point was we sold something that we got for cheap and got something back that has some LT potential.   It would be like trading a penny stock for a start-up tech company or CV19 research stock.  

27B49958-2F7C-449A-988E-950B6A85F262.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Hubs said:

It’s possible. He’s had a .926 OPS in 2019 in AAA. And high .800’s the year before. Fletcher’s numbers in his age 21-23 seasons weren’t close to Baretto’s either.

Those numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt, LV is a pretty high octane hitting environment as is the entire PCL.   Barreto's got contact issues.  He improved on it from 2018 but it's likely going to continue to be a problem.  He's still a high risk guy and hopefully he shows signs of sticking with regular at bats.  But he's basically an advanced lottery ticket.

17 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

LOL.   Always hilarious when the village idiot tries to play it off like he's smart.   

What excuse am I making?  Im pointing out the obvious, which you always miss because you're incapable of seeing the forest for the trees.   La Stella was so highly thought of that he was previously acquired along with two years of control for a minor league RP that is out of baseball.   Dude has ONE month of control left.   Now they got 5 years of control over someone that can actually field a position and fills a need moving forward.  No idea if he's going to actually pan out, but it's not like acquiring a defensive black hole when you have two other MIF under contract for 3-4 more years as was the case with Grant Green.

The Angels got pretty much all you could get out of a one dimensional talent that they were able to get more out of than anyone else previous had.

"do you like apples?"

"How do you like them apples!!"

every time I see @Inside Pitch throw a beat down on @RendZone it makes me think of that scene from good will hunting where Will just abuses the pony tail guy.  

and if it wasn't clear @RendZone.  you're the pony tail guy.  

1 minute ago, mymerlincat said:

I like the trade, but can people stop staying the A's are only 1 month or 30 games of La Stella?  That is total bullshit, they are a lock for the playoffs which what they're actually acquiring La Stella for.

The one month of control is WHAT THE ANGELS HAD......  

It's a GREAT move for the A's... but it doesn't change what his value was to the Angels -- that's the only team I'm concerned about in this..

12 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

I like the trade, but can people stop staying the A's are only 1 month or 30 games of La Stella?  That is total bullshit, they are a lock for the playoffs which what they're actually acquiring La Stella for.

In which they’re only guaranteed 3 games. So...

They could have played better poker and waited till it was closer to the deadline.

Near contenders always panic as the deadline approaches. Especially teams like the Jays, who are desperate to squeeze into the playoffs. Or a good team looking for playoff insurance.

La Stella and Simmons are perfect for those scenarios. 

The La Stella trade is ok, not great, not terrible. Time will tell.

Also, the odds are that most traded pending free agents don't resign with their old club. Once ties are severed it seems to be final.

Just now, Duren, Duren said:

They could have played better poker and waited till it was closer to the deadline.

Near contenders always panic as the deadline approaches. Especially teams like the Jays, who are desperate to squeeze into the playoffs. Or a good team looking for playoff insurance.

La Stella and Simmons are perfect for those scenarios. 

The La Stella trade is ok, not great, not terrible. Time will tell.

Also, the odds are that most traded pending free agents don't resign with their old club. Once ties are severed it seems to be final.

The deadline is 2 days away.

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

"do you like apples?"

"How do you like them apples!!"

every time I see @Inside Pitch throw a beat down on @RendZone it makes me think of that scene from good will hunting where Will just abuses the pony tail guy.  

and if it wasn't clear @RendZone.  you're the pony tail guy.  

And yet we continue to miss the postseason and hang around last place to watch a $90M first place team pick us clean. You guys can continue to lather yourselves with Eppler’s cream but the standings don’t lie. There is nothing IP says that can change that.