• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tommy La Stella traded to the A's for Franklin Barreto

mmc

15 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Somewhat TIC. I've always said I'd rather have Trout for life than win titles, since people remember GOATs, not titles. But he's also clearly on the back 9.

You can’t clearly say that. You need more proof than 30 games in a weird season. Trout won the MVP last year. I think he’s owed more than that to think he’s done. But sure you go right ahead and think that. 

11 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm good with this trade. Value is value, and while Barreto isn't a pitcher, he does have value as a player with versatility, a high ceiling and 5 years of control.

I wonder if Eppler is going to try and swing a trade for a front of the rotation starter by dangling Jordyn Adams, Brian Goodwin and Luis Rengifo. 

Where have you been?  

Uhh guys this guy is only 24 and has a really high ceiling, I honestly thought we wouldn't get anything better for Stella, it appears nobody wants to help us with pitching, we'll see what people think Simba is worth.

We won't face the A's again this year and having LaStella on the A's makes them easier to root for (I want them to pull it off this year). 

3 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

It's weird; my next teams after the Angels are probably the A's, M's, and Rs. I rooted for the Rangers in both WS. But I wasn't paying much attention those seasons, so things changed when I discovered Kinsler, Odor, etc. And Dipoto makes it impossible now too.

Still like the A's, though. And have empathy for M's' and Rs' fans, even if I currently hate their teams.

Yep, Dipstick makes the Mariners putrid, radioactive toxic waste.  Untouchable.

2 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

Like I said, it doesn’t matter who the Angels picked up for La Stella at MIF. It’s irrelevant. La Stella was not the future. Rengifo and Fletcher are. 

You’re completely missing what I’m saying. But I can’t any more I think you’re doing it on purpose. Rengifo is not the future. The guy isn’t very good offensively and defensively he’s mediocre. That doesn’t scream starter to me. 

3 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

You’re completely missing what I’m saying. But I can’t any more I think you’re doing it on purpose. Rengifo is not the future. The guy isn’t very good offensively and defensively he’s mediocre. That doesn’t scream starter to me. 

Perhaps they see Rengifo as a solid backup infielder type and Barreto has more of that heavy build for an everyday SS.  Perhaps they want the two to battle it out to the death.

6 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

Like I said, it doesn’t matter who the Angels picked up for La Stella at MIF. It’s irrelevant. La Stella was not the future. Rengifo and Fletcher are. 

I'm kinda thinking they could've picked up a middle reliever for him. 

Angels career stats   .289 / .353 / .483 / .836 

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Where have you been?  

Everywhere. Bought a travel trailer. Lots of camping. Followed @Chuckster70's example and put on 20 lbs of muscle. Used my chainsaw a lot, planted lots of trees. Learned how to install a sprinkler system and drip lines. Tried to play OOTP 20 but my team kept losing because I traded Mike Trout for Zack Borenstein. Impregnated my wife, got my son settled in at school, started my own school year. Started my own men's bible group, that's going really well. 

I know everyone else hates 2020, but it's been great for my family and I. I care very little about the Angels or prospects anymore. But it's nice to stop by every once in a while and see how everyone is doing.

1 minute ago, Angel said:

This also likely means Arte has decided not to resign Simmons I'm like 99% sure.

So you can almost trust me on this one.

Agree.  I think Simmons is the next to go.  

And, again, I don't want people to be surprised if he's not traded for a pitcher.  I would totally be fine with a solid catching prospect if that player were more valuable than any pitcher we could get.  

I'm fine with this trade. While it would have been nice to be surprised with a solid pitching prospect, Barreto is a useful piece and still could develop into a good major leaguer. He's only a couple years removed from being considered a 55 FV prospect (e.g. Brandon Marsh) and #32 on Fangraphs' list for 2018. He's been really good in AA and AAA the last two years, but hasn't had a chance to break into the majors with the Semien and Lowrie/Profar in the middle infield. Not sure why he didn't get more of a chance this year, although I suppose the A's like Kemp's OBP.

I also think this means Simmons will be dealt. Next year the Angels will go with Fletcher and Barreto/Rengifo. Who knows, maybe they re-sign La Stella in the offseason.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Why?

letting Simmons walk without getting something.  anything.  would be a mistake.  I'd rather see them save their money and spend on pitching.  If Arte were to increase payroll then I'd like to see Simmons back.  But if I had to prioritize, I would put all my resources in obtaining a front line starter somehow.  some way.  

Barreto is going to be our experiment for the rest of this season he is out of options and must get service time, we will resign Simba if he doesn't pan out.  OR we are trading Simba now and gambling that either Rengifo or Barreto pan out, or both, OR they're planning on signing a cheaper (than Simba) middle infield stop gap and letting these two figure it out regardless of the outcome.

20 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

This is a future @Lou "I agree" post. Even if he doesn't think so now. Rengifo will be a productive player. And a MIF of Fletcher and Rengifo at a combined total of $3 M gives the Angels space to get more starting pitching.

Hope you’re right and he becomes something he isn’t now. I just don’t see it from watching him. 

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Agree.  I think Simmons is the next to go.  

And, again, I don't want people to be surprised if he's not traded for a pitcher.  I would totally be fine with a solid catching prospect if that player were more valuable than any pitcher we could get.  

I almost trust you.

15 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Everywhere. Bought a travel trailer. Lots of camping. Followed @Chuckster70's example and put on 20 lbs of muscle. Used my chainsaw a lot, planted lots of trees. Learned how to install a sprinkler system and drip lines. Tried to play OOTP 20 but my team kept losing because I traded Mike Trout for Zack Borenstein. Impregnated my wife, got my son settled in at school, started my own school year. Started my own men's bible group, that's going really well. 

I know everyone else hates 2020, but it's been great for my family and I. I care very little about the Angels or prospects anymore. But it's nice to stop by every once in a while and see how everyone is doing.

Congrats dude! Glad all is well

Franklin Barreto content from BA

Franklin Barreto, 2B

In return for La Stella, the A’s picked up Barreto, a young infielder who started his career with the Blue Jays, then was dealt to Oakland as the centerpiece in the Josh Donaldson trade in 2014. Since then, he’s bounced from Triple-A to the big leagues and had been squeezed out of the regular playing time and had just 10 plate appearances all season. With the Angels, Barreto will get a change of scenery and ample playing time to potentially unlock the talent evaluators had lauded for years.

2019 (Players that stood out last ST)

8. Franklin Barreto, INF/OF, Athletics

A former top prospect who made his major league debut last year, Barreto has been squeezed from the Athletics' middle infield plans with incumbent shortstop Marcus Semien and newly acquired Jurickson Profar taking over at second base. As a result, the Athletics have been trying Barreto in center field, where he is still very much learning a new position. He's a natural shortstop by trade, and he really profiles more as a second baseman in the future. 

After waiting a couple of games to see Barreto really challenged in the outfield, the wind was blowing out in tough conditions on March 13 against the Cubs. On two hard-hit balls to either side of him, Barreto took some circular routes to the ball. Both hits were into the gap and would have been tough plays for even the best defensive center fielders, but he wasn't really close to either one. Seeing these plays made me question just how much value Barreto will bring in the outfield. I believe that you can't just take any athlete or baseball player and stick him in the outfield. Reads, especially with challenging winds and the sun, are difficult. And with Barreto's prospect pedigree at shortstop, I don't believe he's really had much experience in he outfield before this year. The way he's been hitting this spring, I would honestly like to see him more at shortstop. If Semien doesn't hit well enough, Barreto, with his projectable hit tool, plus bat speed and compact swing, might be the guy to step in and get everyday at-bats there. I just haven't seen him used in that role.

2019 (Fantasy Stock)

📈 Surging
Franklin Barreto, Athletics
Triple-A Las Vegas (Pacific Coast)
13.3 RAA, 1.2 WAA, 181 OPS+, 192 XB+, 302 SB+

Barreto is a four-time Top 100 Prospect who exhausted his rookie eligibility last season—barely—but entered 2019 with no footing in Oakland. He looked like a new player at Triple-A this year, slashing his strikeout rate from 32 percent to 25 percent while maintaining power and showing greater willingness to run. In June, Barreto smashed nine homers and went 6-for-6 in steals. Now the 23-year-old is the Athletics' primary second baseman after taking over for Jurickson Profar, reminding us all that fortunes can change quickly in baseball.

Franklin Barreto, 2B/SS
Triple-A Nashville

Outside of a few tape-measure home runs, Barreto hasn’t found much success in Oakland yet. The Athletics like his well-rounded game, though, and expect he will catch on to major league pitchers. After all, he has batted more than 1,200 times at Double-A and Triple-A at a young age because the ball comes off his bat so well. Barreto also brandishes plus speed, a strong arm and good hands at either middle infield spot.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.06.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.06.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.05.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.04.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.04.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 10.05.47 PM.png