• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tommy La Stella traded to the A's for Franklin Barreto

mmc

Just now, Dochalo said:

letting Simmons walk without getting something.  anything.  would be a mistake.  I'd rather see them save their money and spend on pitching.  If Arte were to increase payroll then I'd like to see Simmons back.  But if I had to prioritize, I would put all my resources in obtaining a front line starter somehow.  some way.  

See my post just above yours. Yes, Simmons will be traded (I think); he has value to a contender wanting elite defense at SS. I wouldn't be surprised if a deal is pending.

Barreto gives Eppler some options in the infield. He'll want to get a good look at Barreto and if he shows signs of potential, the Angels could go the budget route of Fletcher at SS, Barreto at 2B, and Rengifo as the UT. If he's not confident in Barreto/Rengifo, he could kick the tires on players like Jonathan Villar, Brad Miller, and Jurickson Profar, all of whom bring something offensively to the team.

Interesting:

mystery40.pngMichael Chaney

2 hours ago

I think I’m in the minority here (and I’m not an Angels fan), but I really like this move for the Angels. La Stella wasn’t going to bring much because he’s a rental in this market, so it’s smart to take a chance on Barreto.

Barreto has been pretty bad as a major leaguer, but his minor league track record is strong and he still has all the tools. For a lot of young players, they just need consistent at bats, and the A’s have been too good to have the patience to let him play every day and work through his struggles.

pkdryan13

1 hour ago

I’m an A’s fan who agrees. Matt Chapman and Matt Olson said coming up through the minors, it was Barreto that people came to see rather than them (readers of this, try your hardest to not be morons and construe this as someone saying Barreto is or will be better than either Chapman or Olson).

2 minutes ago, Angel said:

Interesting:

mystery40.pngMichael Chaney

2 hours ago

I think I’m in the minority here (and I’m not an Angels fan), but I really like this move for the Angels. La Stella wasn’t going to bring much because he’s a rental in this market, so it’s smart to take a chance on Barreto.

Barreto has been pretty bad as a major leaguer, but his minor league track record is strong and he still has all the tools. For a lot of young players, they just need consistent at bats, and the A’s have been too good to have the patience to let him play every day and work through his struggles.

pkdryan13

1 hour ago

I’m an A’s fan who agrees. Matt Chapman and Matt Olson said coming up through the minors, it was Barreto that people came to see rather than them (readers of this, try your hardest to not be morons and construe this as someone saying Barreto is or will be better than either Chapman or Olson).

Yeah I've warmed to this deal. 

But I really hope Simmons is gone. I want to see the remainder of the season with Barreto and Fletcher at 2B/SS together. 

2 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Based on my Baseball Reference scouting of Barreto, his big downfall appears to be his inability to take a walk. 7 walks in 219 plate appearances. Oof

It improved a bit his last two years in the minors.

Former top prospect who doesn't break into majors, perhaps due to inconsistent at-bats and players blocking him, gets a change of scenery and a chance to play. I like that scenario.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah I've warmed to this deal. 

But I really hope Simmons is gone. I want to see the remainder of the season with Barreto and Fletcher at 2B/SS together. 

We're going to see a lot of Barreto for the remainder of the year. He'll be getting all of Rengifo's playing time at the very least, and if Simmons is dealt, he'll platoon at 2B/SS with Fletcher.

Franklin Berreto Winter League 2018-2019

2018-19 22 -5.5 Aragua VEWL FgW           55  228 199 37 70 12 1    7      38 7 1    20 35 .352 .417 .528 .944 105 3     5      0    4  2

Howie Kendrick anyone?  Yeah that's optimism and I know he's a SS.  Dude's about to get the most consistent ABs of his career, we're going to see who he is real shortly.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

We're going to see a lot of Barreto for the remainder of the year. He'll be getting all of Rengifo's playing time at the very least, and if Simmons is dealt, he'll platoon at 2B/SS with Fletcher.

I’d be ok with that. Let the kids play. Bring up Marsh as well see what he can do and start Adell everyday. Also trade Goodwin Simmons and some other pieces that are getting costly. 

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Wishful thinking, maybe - that the Blue Jays are disappointed in Pearson (who is injured) and desperate enough with Bichette out. Stranger things have happened. Maybe Simmons and Castro for Pearson and a 40/45 FV prospect.

I’m not sure we get Pearson without giving up Marsh and Simmons.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I’m not sure we get Pearson without giving up Marsh and Simmons.  

If we use FV as a barometer, Pearson isn't that much more valuable than Marsh (60 vs 55), and Simmons has solid value for a contender without a shortstop. As I said, Simmons and Castro seems more likely, or maybe Simmons and Adams.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Just now, Game 6 said:

Dang, you are totally tied into the prospect world. I checked it out and yeah, either would be a nice return. Probably Nate Pearson if we can get him. Throw in a couple of prospects also.

Not really, but thanks. There are guys here who know much more than I. I just looked at Toronto's prospect page on Fangraphs to see who their best SP prospects are.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

So were about 75+ guys already out of baseball

35 of the first 39 picks made by Dipoto are out of pro ball.   So are 24 of the next 40.

Nutty.

My point was just because a Dipoto drafted they guy doesn't mean he sucks.  Maybe it just means ge probably sucks.....

28 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Let's not sour on Rengifo yet. I can see him being the type of player that takes a bit to mature and find his place. With Fletcher and now Barreto in the fold, Rengifo probably won't be a starter but could be a very nice UT.

I don’t think there’s any reason to be down on Rengifo.  I think he’s the same type of prospect that we was before the season started.  No better no worse.  

2 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

No. There is no flurry of trades coming as a result of La Stella leaving. It’s La Stella. Let’s not overplay it. He’s making 3.25 now, and is a FA. Do we want to give $ 6-7 M for a dude who can’t catch a ball? 

I think you’re short changing the guy a bit.  Not going to be as simple to replace as you seem to think.  I think the deal is fine and I get why the Angels decided not to retain him but I think this is debatable.  Replacing the bat is not clear right now.  And maybe they just won’t.  Not like the Angels have a great track record filling holes in right away.  There’s definitely room to wonder about this.