• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tommy La Stella traded to the A's for Franklin Barreto

mmc

Didn't read more than the first 3 pages. I'm not so frustrated at the return for la Stella as much as I am in trading him period. If Eppler anything to impressive pitching in any meaningful way then he should have just held on to him. Obviously any chance to re sign him goes down and I would have preferred that to this move. He's one of the top bats in the lineup, he's a great guy to have on the team, and he is versatile. Seems like a Dipoto move. Trade for the sake of trading.

5 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Didn't read more than the first 3 pages. I'm not so frustrated at the return for la Stella as much as I am in trading him period. If Eppler anything to impressive pitching in any meaningful way then he should have just held on to him. Obviously any chance to re sign him goes down and I would have preferred that to this move. He's one of the top bats in the lineup, he's a great guy to have on the team, and he is versatile. Seems like a Dipoto move. Trade for the sake of trading.

Except we got four years of control instead of 30 games.  

1 hour ago, Lou said:

And since they have 28 regular season games left, that would total 31.

I guess merlin was right.

Well technically they’re only guaranteed two playoff games right? I mean it’s a three game series but...

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Except we got four years of control instead of 30 games.  

Right. But what I was saying was that I would have preferred to extend La Stella. Maybe they already tried and were unsuccessful so I can't say definitely that Eppler screwed up. I just don't see how 4 years of control matters if the guy can't hit. Extend the proven commodity instead of trading for a younger non-prospect. This guy is literally the same type of player Eppler has traded for time and time again (former top 100) and they never pan out. 

6 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Right. But what I was saying was that I would have preferred to extend La Stella. Maybe they already tried and were unsuccessful so I can't say definitely that Eppler screwed up. I just don't see how 4 years of control matters if the guy can't hit. Extend the proven commodity instead of trading for a younger non-prospect. This guy is literally the same type of player Eppler has traded for time and time again (former top 100) and they never pan out. 

Like when he traded for La Stella and then when he traded for Bundy. 

45 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Well yes, he played in four consecutive postseasons with the Cubs before coming to Anaheim and now he’s going back to the postseason. He has to feel like he escaped the rock.

Edited by RendZone

2 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I already miss Tommy LaStella.  I was happy when we got him, because I suspected he'd get a chance to play.  He's a glue guy, a gamer.  Someone any winning team needs.  

Hopefully, we will  attempt to bring him back over the winter, as a utility infielder/outfielder, once we get the infield pieces sorted out.  

Yeah I think people forget about they sometimes.... we can just sign him in the offseason. It’s not like he could be potentially be gone forever. And in exchange we got a high upside infielder with a lot of control.

3 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Yeah I think people forget about they sometimes.... we can just sign him in the offseason. It’s not like he could be potentially be gone forever. And in exchange we got a high upside infielder with a lot of control.

It's going to be significantly harder to sign him now, particularly if the A's are interested. Definitely won't get a team friendly deal anymore.

While I want Ps back in trades, I have no problems with this return.  Gives us a super cheap MI option next year.  with letting Simmons go, we’d likely had to spend $5m or more on a depth MI.  Now they don’t have to - thus allowing more money to either a SP or RP option next year instead.  Freeing money next year from Simmons and/or a LaStella type pickup next year is a big bonus.  Plus he’s got upside to turn into more potentially.  

37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Like when he traded for La Stella and then when he traded for Bundy. 

Not really what I was referring to. I didn't know La Stella was a former top prospect. The difference in trading for them was that they were already established major league players. Neither were lighting the world on fire, but they didn't give up much to get them and they had proven they could at least compete.  

I'm talking more the Alex Meyer type. Guys who were former top prospects that came up to the MLB and couldn't figure it out. I could be completely wrong obviously. Earlier in Eppler's tenure I would have backed this, but at this point it just seems like a dumb trade. Better to try to extend La Stella, an actual proven commodity, then to hope a guy that can't figure it out at the plate suddenly does. 

6 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Not really what I was referring to. I didn't know La Stella was a former top prospect. The difference in trading for them was that they were already established major league players. Neither were lighting the world on fire, but they didn't give up much to get them and they had proven they could at least compete.  

I'm talking more the Alex Meyer type. Guys who were former top prospects that came up to the MLB and couldn't figure it out. I could be completely wrong obviously. Earlier in Eppler's tenure I would have backed this, but at this point it just seems like a dumb trade. Better to try to extend La Stella, an actual proven commodity, then to hope a guy that can't figure it out at the plate suddenly does. 

Eppler has been better with trades than with free agency.  So even if you extend La Stella you are probably still looking at hitting the market for a middle infielder.  I am willing to give this trade some time to see how it works out.  

12 minutes ago, Fourts said:

While I want Ps back in trades, I have no problems with this return.  Gives us a super cheap MI option next year.  with letting Simmons go, we’d likely had to spend $5m or more on a depth MI.  Now they don’t have to - thus allowing more money to either a SP or RP option next year instead.  Freeing money next year from Simmons and/or a LaStella type pickup next year is a big bonus.  Plus he’s got upside to turn into more potentially.  

So you think this move means we're not trading Simmons?  I'm pretty sure this means he's being traded or at the very least walking, the kind of salary we can free up for pitching is too good to miss.