• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Julio Teheran (1 year, $9 million)

mmc

We don’t really have the ability to go get an ace because there really aren’t any available.  However having Bundy and Teheran really does give us the ability to take some risk with Ryu because those guys eat a ton of innings.  They also allow us to put Ohtani on an innings limit early this off season which will piss some people off but might be necessary his first year back from TJ surgery.

1 minute ago, VariousCrap said:

Here is the point I was trying to make about Keuchel:

If the Angels sign Keuchel, he would be this rotations number one which would be a vast improvement over who the Angels had as their number one last year.

I completely agree with you that it would be better. 

It's just not that difficult to improve a 90 loss rotation who was near the bottom in every category.

Personally I'm not content with incrementally better. We need to be exponentially better.

I'd guess the majority of this board wanted something like Cole and Wheeler and we ended up (so far) with Teheran and Bundy. (Although Rendon wasn't on my radar at all and I love that deal) 

I'm glad your excited. I'm not there yet. Like someone else said perhaps the consistency of Tehran and Bundy allows us to take a risk with Ryu. 

Then I'd be giddy. 

3 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

Well, let’s hope so. I don’t know if the Angels are in a position for an experiment (they need certainty at this point), though maybe they can extract some value out of him. I hope that Eppler has something else up his sleeve (a trade for a #1/#2 type?) because this is underwhelming, so far.

Not gonna lie -- I said nearly the same exact thing about him...   But, there is more there than it seems at first look and if there was a guy they would take a chance on trying to get more out of he's as good an example as any.   It's not like they need to try to teach him a pitch or rework his delivery, it's just a matter of increasing the usage of an elite level pitch and throwing less of the ones that get hit really hard.   

Anyway, your data is dead on but he's exactly the sort of guy where xFIP and FIP would miss on because it's so tied into his pitch usage.

Guys guys guys... literally everyone talking about someone being a #1... honestly, put that thought out of your head, were not getting what you would call a #1.  There isnt one left in FA and the trades are just not seemingly viable.
Be happy with the 2/3s and hope for a better offense.
Right now thats the path were on.

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

It's just not that difficult to improve a 90 loss rotation who was near the bottom in every category.

Personally I'm not content with incrementally better. We need to be exponentially better.

I'd guess the majority of this board wanted something like Cole and Wheeler and we ended up (so far) with Teheran and Bundy. (Although Rendon wasn't on my radar at all and I love that deal) 

I'm glad your excited. I'm not there yet. Like someone else said perhaps the consistency of Tehran and Bundy allows us to take a risk with Ryu. 

Then I'd be giddy. 

it sounds as if there are no pitchers still available that would make you giddy 

3 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Then I'd be giddy. 

I'll change my feelings of "giddy" to "optimistic" if we get Ryu or Keuchel.

I'd then like a trade for Contreras.

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

Guys guys guys... literally everyone talking about someone being a #1... honestly, put that thought out of your head, were not getting what you would call a #1.  There isnt one left in FA and the trades are just not seemingly viable.
Be happy with the 2/3s and hope for a better offense.
Right now thats the path were on.

100% truth.  We all wanted it, but it isn't going to happen.

At this point, the Angels just a need a guy who can be their number one.  That is where Keuchel or Ryu would come in.

This signing makes me believe we are done in the FA pitching market.  I still can see us trade for Boyd or probably Ray more likely, but if we sign either Keuchel or Ryu, we have basically eliminated our chances of trading for any additional arms during the year if we are within striking distance.  Plus we still need to sign a catcher.   I think this is a good move, and is very Billy Bean like.  Let's say he produces to the effect of 170 Innings with an ERA around 4.30.  Isn't that more than worth 9 million?

Just now, tchula said:

This signing makes me believe we are done in the FA pitching market.  I still can see us trade for Boyd or probably Ray more likely, but if we sign either Keuchel or Ryu, we have basically eliminated our chances of trading for any additional arms during the year if we are within striking distance.  Plus we still need to sign a catcher. 

Hogwash.  The Angels can still afford Keuchel or Ryu and the defense-minded catcher they want.  If the Angels are in the hunt for the division/playoffs come the trade deadline, Arte would be willing to make a trade that takes him over the luxury tax.

2 minutes ago, tchula said:

This signing makes me believe we are done in the FA pitching market.  I still can see us trade for Boyd or probably Ray more likely, but if we sign either Keuchel or Ryu, we have basically eliminated our chances of trading for any additional arms during the year if we are within striking distance.  Plus we still need to sign a catcher. 

ummm, what? 

4 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

100% truth.  We all wanted it, but it isn't going to happen.

At this point, the Angels just a need a guy who can be their number one.  That is where Keuchel or Ryu would come in.

Yep, for me it comes down to Kuechel and Castro, both should fit under the threshold.  Any gravy would be a possible upgrade in RF on a 1yr deal, but im not expecting that.