• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Julio Teheran (1 year, $9 million)

mmc

He, like Bundy, provides MUCH needed durability.

Seven straight seasons making at least 30 starts, four of those seven producing solid WHIPs and the other three producing WHIPs in the 1.30s, allowing under 7 hits/9 innings the past 2 combined seasons

Main issue those past two seasons is the BBs (4 per 9 innings).    If Callaway can channel the command, could be a solid contributor.    

3 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Did you take idiot pills today?  WTF man.  Neither Harvey or Cahill averaged 175+ innings prior to the Angels signing them.

Scotty is looking at this from the worst perspective. This isn’t quite the same as last year. 

Cahill and Harvey weren’t durable and Cahill was older. Both Bundy and Teheran are well under 30. 

We have a real pitching coach this season. 

What we had last year were a bunch of kids pitching because we had nothing better. This year we have a top of baseball lineup and a rotation/pen that can keep us in games. It isn’t shutdown, but it’s relying on a great offense. It makes us legit playoff contenders for a change. 

A one year deal for Teheran means we aren’t losing any resources or committing long term to a bad option. It gives us flexibility to add at the deadline when there may be more options available. It also gives the farm time to develop in value. 

Understand, this wasn’t how I wanted the offseason to go. I’m bummed about it, but 1) It’s nothing like last year; 2) There’s definitely things in it to be optimistic about. 

I think I’d skip Keuchel at this point. But if you can get Ryu for 3 years, I’d jump on that. 

11 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

There’s a reason this guy couldn’t get any more than a one-year deal and for only $9 million. Because the underlying numbers suggest he’s another Blanton waiting to happen.

Steamer is projecting an ERA close to 5.5 with a 0.5 WAR. 

You're not wrong but he's actually someone that may just need some tweaking.   I'm trying to find an article that broke his numbers down on a pitch type basis.  Dude was wrecking people when focusing on a sinker/change mix and getting lit up on his regular FB and slider..   Basically, his entire success was built on being the complete opposite of what they are pushing now -- they need for him to embrace his strengths.

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

This is honestly a pretty good signing, since it's only one year. He eats innings and we don't throw away any prospects. I still think he has the potential to explode Blanton style, but at least it doesn't mortgage the future.

He is way better than Blanton ever was.

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Scotty is looking at this from the worst perspective. This isn’t quite the same as last year. 

Cahill and Harvey weren’t durable and Cahill was older. Both Bundy and Teheran are well under 30. 

We have a real pitching coach this season. 

What we had last year were a bunch of kids pitching because we had nothing better. This year we have a top of baseball lineup and a rotation/pen that can keep us in games. It isn’t shutdown, but it’s relying on a great offense. It makes us legit playoff contenders for a change. 

A one year deal for Teheran means we aren’t losing any resources or committing long term to a bad option. It gives us flexibility to add at the deadline when there may be more options available. It also gives the farm time to develop in value. 

Understand, this wasn’t how I wanted the offseason to go. I’m bummed about it, but 1) It’s nothing like last year; 2) There’s definitely things in it to be optimistic about. 

I think I’d skip Keuchel at this point. But if you can get Ryu for 3 years, I’d jump on that. 

This

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

You're not wrong but he's actually someone that may just need some tweaking.   I'm trying to find an article that broke his numbers down on a pitch type basis.  Dude was wrecking people when focusing on a sinker/change mix and getting lit up on his regular FB and slider..   Basically, his entire success was built on being the complete opposite of what they are pushing now -- they need for him to embrace his strengths.

I think there's a much better chance of that happening with Callaway and Maddon around than there would have been from last year's crew.  

2 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

No, the point is to be vastly improved over what the Angels had last season and he would be.

Mike DiGiovanna said incremental upgrade not vast upgrade.

So Bundy and Tehearan are incrementally better than Harvey and Cahill. I agree with that.

We still have giant holes at 1 and 2 or are placing extremely high expectations on Ohtani. 

We still have time but I will not pretend like Bundy and Teharan are what I hoped for. 

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Main issue those past two seasons is the BBs (4 per 9 innings).    If Callaway can channel the command, could be a solid contributor.    

Could the same thing not be said for Hansel Robles?  Wasn't he considered to be a wild pitcher also?

Robles seemed to have gained better control, so I'm hoping that Calloway can help Teheran gain better control also.  This does seem to be the big knock on him.

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

Mike DiGiovanna said incremental upgrade not vast upgrade.

So Bundy and Tehearan are incrementally better than Harvey and Cahill. I agree with that.

We still have giant holes at 1 and 2 or are placing extremely high expectations on Ohtani. 

We still have time but I will not pretend like Bundy and Teharan are what I hoped for. 

We were talking specifically about Keuchel.  He would be a vast upgrade.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Well, let’s hope so. I don’t know if the Angels are in a position for an experiment (they need certainty at this point), though maybe they can extract some value out of him. I hope that Eppler has something else up his sleeve (a trade for a #1/#2 type?) because this is underwhelming, so far.

2 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

Well, let’s hope so. I don’t know if the Angels are in a position for an experiment (they need certainty at this point), though maybe they can extract some value out of him. I hope that Eppler has something else up his sleeve (a trade for a #1/#2 type?) because this is underwhelming, so far.

You are right they need certainty, and they got that.  They got a guy who will pitch 175 plus innings and give you better than league average ERA.  He made 33 starts last year and in 24 of those starts he gave up 3 runs or less.  He’s pretty damn consistent.  

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

Over who Harvey and Cahill? Absolutely. I like Keuchel as a 2/3 type SP. Problem now is we need a 1.

Maybe trade (back) for Clevinger. 

Here is the point I was trying to make about Keuchel:

If the Angels sign Keuchel, he would be this rotations number one which would be a vast improvement over who the Angels had as their number one last year.

22 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Oh God

Ohtani (whom I loooooove) who hasn't pitched in a long while and will be on a innings limitation is not a 2

Bundy is not a 3 

Keuchel, even if we get him, is not a 1 

Ohtani, Canning, Bundy, Heaney, Teheran, Pena/Sandoval is the rotation as of now. And that's if they go 6.

Yes we need depth, but if they go for Keuchel, are they gonna do a 6 man straight? That's a good way of limiting innings.