• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels are interested in Corey Kluber

mmc

8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I’m surprised you’d think an All Star and Cy Young pitcher with no injury history other than a fluke injury last year could be had for a nothing package....I think Junky has a more realistic package...

Well when your most recent season is the injury season and that season was his age 33 season, it tends to lead to having at least some doubts.  He didn’t pitch after May 1st last year.  So to have a top 50 prospect along with 3 other guys, I’d say we are reaching the very limits of what that should cost.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well when your most recent season is the injury season and that season was his age 33 season, it tends to lead to having at least some doubts.  He didn’t pitch after May 1st last year.  So to have a top 50 prospect along with 3 other guys, I’d say we are reaching the very limits of what that should cost.  

Marsh would be a tough deal....the other 3, not so much.....

38 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm guessing that one of Fletcher/Rengifo, and one of Suarez/Sandoval/Barria will be gone. 

A Kluber trade might look like: Marsh, Rengifo, Suarez, Walsh.

I wonder if that package could get Darvish and Contreras? 
Add Rendon and MadBum/Ryu as free agents and it's a hell of an off-season.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd rather have Rendon and Kluber than Cole alone. 

Pitcher fWAR 2014-18:

1. Scherzer 31.7

2. Kershaw 30.5

3. Kluber 30.3

He only started 7 games in 2019 due to an oblique injury (I think), and will be 34 in April, but the years remaining on his contract (2020-21) will cost the same as one year of Gerrit Cole.

It will be interesting to see what kind of package the Indians will require. It will be a big haul, but maybe not a huge one.

Fractured forearm when hit by line drive then had oblique strain during rehab from forearm injury

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

They better not give up much at all in terms of prospects for Kluber.

No one knows how he’s going to bounce back from injury and he was awful for the little bit he did pitch last season. 

I think out of all things, so far, Eppler has been VERY good with trades. Seems like he doesn't dump anyone he can. He's good with that.

Ok so if you're wondering what Kluber would cost in a deal, we can reference this article from last year, when the Padres were negotiating with indians.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/padres-talk-trade-for-indians-ace-corey-kluber-c302203284.html

Or to sum it up for you, the Indians wanted two starting major league players that were ready to step in immediately, as well as at least one to patient not named Tatis Jr. or Gore. 

So if their price has held firm, despite having one less year of team control and coming off injury, we can expect a package for Kluber to cost David Fletcher, Matt Thaiss and Brandon Marsh. 

That's an appealing package for any player. One I'm not so sure the Angels can part with. If you sub out Fletcher, and replace him with Rengifo, the Indians would likely want additional prospect capital in return to balance it out. Like Rengifo, Thaiss, Marsh and Aaron Hernandez.

Again, a lot to pay. But at this point in b the game, the Angels may not have much of a choice.

For those keeping score, that's a starting corner infielder, starting middle infielder, starting outfielder and a high octane starter/reliever..... For two years of an injured starter at 18 million a year.

Edited by Second Base

How many of you would do this trade?

Angels send 2B/SS Luis Rengifo, 1B/3B Matt Thaiss, RP Hansel Robles, OF Jordyn Adams, and OF Alexander Ramirez in exchange for SP Corey Kluber and 1B Carlos Santana? Angels take on all of Corey's and Carlos' salaries ($35.5M and $38.3M over two years total, respectively)?

Indians are competing and need a 2B to replace Kipnis (and in fact Rengifo is a very similar player to Jason). They have Jake Bauers as a candidate for 1B but Thaiss could line up there as an option or depth too (also at 3B if needed). Robles would give them a short term relief option for the back-end of their bullpen. Adams and Ramirez would be a long-term solution in the OF.

Remember that Kluber and Santana only have two seasons left, apiece, both are getting into their mid-30's, and have a pretty healthy amount of salary remaining on their contracts, so they have surplus value but not nearly as much as one might initially think (Kluber is worth about 80% of this package, Santana has little surplus value). This would give the Indians tremendous salary relief to potentially extend one or more of their younger players (Clevinger, Bieber, Plesac, heck even Lindor) which they like to do as an organization.

Too much? Too little?

Just a thought on a fine Wednesday evening.....

So if we dig a little deeper, we'll see that Kluber's home and away splits paint a picture of a starter that is utterly dominant at home, and merely very good on the road. Leaving Cleveland, I think it's fair to expect some regression, though not a lot. Watching him last year, he didn't look the same. Something seemed off, maybe he was just working through something.

If my scouts and his medical report came back clean, I'd offer a lower package. I'm not giving up Fletcher. And I'm not giving up Thaiss either, but I value him higher than others here. In fact, I'm not even giving up Marsh. Too early to sell on him, and I love his rapport with Adell too much.

This would be my highest offer. Luis Rengifo, Jordyn Adams and Jared Walsh. It's a fair offer. Cleveland gets a starting infielder and starting outfielder, as well as a corner infield/outfield power bar that can double in mop up duty in the mound.

Paying what the Indians were asking if the Padres before would be getting fleeced and would Dipoto the farm. I'm just not interested in doing that.

Edited by Second Base

53 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

I wouldn't want to give up Marsh considering Kluber was injured all of next year and going into his age 34 season. 

He's owed 17.5M in 20 and a team option at 18M in 21

If we're trading Marsh it needs to be for somebody with 3+ years of control. 

Image result for time traveler gif

50 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

They better not give up much at all in terms of prospects for Kluber.

No one knows how he’s going to bounce back from injury and he was awful for the little bit he did pitch last season. 

and he'll be 34 at the start of the season 

44 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Ok so if you're wondering what Kluber would cost in a deal, we can reference this article from last year, when the Padres were negotiating with indians.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/padres-talk-trade-for-indians-ace-corey-kluber-c302203284.html

Or to sum it up for you, the Indians wanted two starting major league players that were ready to step in immediately, as well as at least one to patient not named Tatis Jr. or Gore. 

So if their price has held firm, despite having one less year of team control and coming off injury, we can expect a package for Kluber to cost David Fletcher, Matt Thaiss and Brandon Marsh. 

That's an appealing package for any player. One I'm not so sure the Angels can part with. If you sub out Fletcher, and replace him with Rengifo, the Indians would likely want additional prospect capital in return to balance it out. Like Rengifo, Thaiss, Marsh and Aaron Hernandez.

Again, a lot to pay. But at this point in b the game, the Angels may not have much of a choice.

For those keeping score, that's a starting corner infielder, starting middle infielder, starting outfielder and a high octane starter/reliever..... For two years of an injured starter at 18 million a year.

That was the offer when Kluber was healthy, one of the two or three best pitchers in baseball, with three years of club control at a reasonable price?

There is no way that he's worth the same package now.