• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I hate to think like this but any chance the Angels trade Simmons to free up more space for two free agent arms?  

I’d like to think at this point Arte is willing to spend to compete.

We need pitching and I’d also like to think Eppler and co. made it very clear to Arte that if he wants Rendon that he’d still need to spend on pitching in order to compete. 

But who knows. Rosenthal was saying that he shouldn’t be worried about the luxury tax penalty because he’d be a first time offender but at the end of the day it’s his money. It’s easy for us to sit here and say screw the tax line.

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

I’d like to think at this point Arte is willing to spend to compete.

We need pitching and I’d also like to think Eppler and co. made it very clear to Arte that if he wants Rendon that he’d still need to spend on pitching in order to compete. 

But who knows. Rosenthal was saying that he shouldn’t be worried about the luxury tax penalty because he’d be a first time offender but at the end of the day it’s his money. It’s easy for us to sit here and say screw the tax line.

It's not my money so I would encourage Arte to complete the job.  I won't judge him if he goes right up to the line but doesn't push past it.  I'd like to see him go get Kluber and whichever pitcher they can get to finish the job.  

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It's not my money so I would encourage Arte to complete the job.  I won't judge him if he goes right up to the line but doesn't push past it.  I'd like to see him go get Kluber and whichever pitcher they can get to finish the job.  

I agree. If you’re going to do something you go 100% in. Especially now given the age of Trout, you just signed Rendon, it’s time to go. 

I’d like to see them sign Keuchel and MadBum then make a trade. Obviously these aren’t cheap so ideally a trade for someone under control like Gray or if you want to blow past the line and trade for Kluber go for it. This year we have two guys that eat innings like Keuchel and MadBum in case Kluber doesn’t bounce back like people are hoping. 

13 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Speaking of Sandoval, you all know how high I am on him. I'm really hoping that we can land a Kluber type without dealing him. I'd much rather they take Suarez and Barria. 

Just a reminder of what this kid can do. He reminds me of Cole Hamels.

And having Callaway mentor him, instead of the all computerese and no actual experience guy

On the 2020 payroll alone, the Angels probably have another 35-40 million left in the budget. The problem is, they need a top of the rotation starter, a mid rotation starter, a catcher and maybe even a reliever to fit within that construct. 

Not an easy task, which is why I wasn't keen on bringing in Rendon. But that's a blessing I won't complain about. 

We'll see what Eppler pulls off. Just my guess, I think the Kluber trade will happen, which eats up 18 million of it, and a trade for Price, which after monetary offsets, could cost 12 million this year and a little over 20 million the following two years. Then a trade for Austin Hedges should only add a couple million, and they can probably sneak in a bit low reliever in there somewhere, which comes out to 35 million spent.

It would require a small measure of prospect capital though. Nothing to delete the system, but it would take a small hit.

The Angels could go after Keuchel, but he's going to cost 20 million a year, and if they were going to spend that, they probably should've just spent 25 on Wheeler.

10 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Keuchel for 20 million sounds gross. I would rather have Bumgarner than Keuchel for that money.

Meh, it's pretty close. If they both cost 20 million, Bumgarner will likely be a slightly pitcher, but will also cost you a draft pick. The value figures to be pretty equal, which is to say an ERA in the low 4's and a lot of innings.

I'd rather just sign Ryu at this point than trade for either Kluber or Price.  IF we traded for Price, then I'd insist Upton be involved in the trade.  With Adell and Marsh on the near horizon, and with Goodwin/Hermosillo on board as good backup OFers, I feel we don't really need Upton as much.  Flipping Upton for Price will add ~10mil AAV to our payroll, and give us a rotation of:

Ryu, Price, Ohtani, Bundy, Heaney, Canning.  

Lineup, by mid-season?:  2B Fletcher, CF Trout, DH Ohtani, 3B Rendon, RF Adell, LF Marsh, 1B LaStella/Pujols, SS Simmons, C Castro (or Hedges, or Contreras).  I should add we'd be a bit thin in OF talent to start the season, but we can "cover" it by potentially having Fletcher play some LF, playing Goodwin in RF, giving Hermosillo some time, etc as our two OF studs play in AAA and "get ready."

Our team would be totally stacked.

17 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I'd rather just sign Ryu at this point than trade for either Kluber or Price.  IF we traded for Price, then I'd insist Upton be involved in the trade.  With Adell and Marsh on the near horizon, and with Goodwin/Hermosillo on board as good backup OFers, I feel we don't really need Upton as much.  Flipping Upton for Price will add ~10mil AAV to our payroll, and give us a rotation of:

Lineup, by mid-season?:  2B Fletcher, CF Trout, DH Ohtani, 3B Rendon, RF Adell, LF Marsh, 1B LaStella/Pujols, SS Simmons, C Castro (or Hedges, or Contreras).  I should add we'd be a bit thin in OF talent to start the season, but we can "cover" it by potentially having Fletcher play some LF, playing Goodwin in RF, giving Hermosillo some time, etc as our two OF studs play in AAA and "get ready."

Our team IL would be totally stacked.

So in your ideal scenario we go out and get 2 pitchers that can’t stay healthy? Add them to a rotation with Heaney who can’t stay healthy and Ohtani who is coming back from injury. 

Given the fact we are in dire need of pitchers who can eat innings I just can’t wrap my head around why anyone would even suggest Ryu

22 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

If this is how the Angels start the season, I will be very disappointed. I wonder how many people who want - or are even just okay with - Ryu in the rotation watched him pitch last season or are just looking at his numbers. He was great in the first half and very good in the second half, but Dodgers fans were holding their breath with every start, wondering if the next pitch would cause a major injury for the fourth time in five seasons. 

When you combine that with the fact he will be 33 on Opening Day and the anticipation that he will receive something like 5/150, there has never been a free agent pitcher I have wanted less.