• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

2 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

Signing Cole wouldn't have fixed our rotation either. A lot would have still needed to go right, and those same things still need to go right.

Heaney and Ohtani need to stay healthy and pitch like they did in 2018.
Bundy going into his prime needs to be at least similar to last year.
Whatever pitcher(s) we do sign/trade for need to be successful.
Canning needs to stay healthy and improve upon his rookie year

Even if we had signed Cole if 3 or 4 of these things didn't happen our rotation wouldn't be in a good spot

But it would still be significantly better than it is without Cole. 

21 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

But it would still be significantly better than it is without Cole. 

And our team could still be significantly better than it would have been with Cole and whatever else they would have done if they signed Cole.

If plan A was signing Cole and having 10M-15M leftover

And plan B is signing Rendon, having 15M-20M, and the ability to trade infield depth for more pitching

Plan B can easily be more beneficial in 2020 and the following years.

While losing out on Cole sucks we can easily be in a better place going forward, time will tell. 

Edit: We can also easily be in a significantly worse position as well such as signing Donaldson and him getting injured and then trading for Price who is worse than 2019.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Ok..... I'd be good with adding Darvish and Ryu to the rotation. I mean logistically it would be a nightmare because of all the translators walking around, but that's a lot of talent. 

And the racist jokes generated by a rotation let by three Asian guys would be classic. 

Darvish speaks English, bro.

Something i wrote on the Plan B board, but still to good to discuss

This should be our plan B C D E F...... 

1A. Eppler gets on the phone with the Cubs and trades for Darvish and Happ, absorbing most of Darvish's salary 

Angels get: Darvish of the 81 mil he's owned for the next 4 years, we are on the hook for 65 mil. Than we get a solid Player that has not been given the time to show his skills and he's our Rf.

Cubs: get Salary relief, and are on the hook for about 16 mil for the next four years.

So Darvish's Salary over the next 4 years: 18, 18, 15 and 14

!B. Similar case to 1A but we also take on Chatwoods full salary but for Contreras and maybe Happ 

3.  Trade with Padres

Angels get Myers and 50 mil of his 3 contract, Plus we get 2 top 10 prospects.  aka Patino and Weather/Morejon

Pads are on the hook for 10 mil for the next 3 years.

3 Price

Angels get Price and 66 mil of his remaining contract for the next 3 years + Benintendi and maybe Groome

Boston: Salary relief, and a better chance to go after Betts.

Also i find it hard for Boston to be able to trade Price without adding a Significant piece in return.  (Pads don't mess this up)

I think also of these are helpful scenario for us and both Pads and the Sox are know to be trying to get out if these contracts. i think we can take 1 or 2 of these contracts and find value in them.

For example, i don't think we can get Contreras, in a salary dumb. But 1A and maybe 3 can be done.

So we get Darvish, Happ, Price and Benintendi. 

With the way i constructed my salary relief  we are looking at about 46 mils added to the payroll.Leaving us with addition 20+. But we  also added some good pieces to the rotation and line-up

1. Darvish 2. Ohtani 3. Price 4. Caning 5. Heaney 6. Bundy

and if we want we can add Benintendi to the trade market and get a pitcher in return, Kluber /Clevinger maybe Bauer/ Thor 

Or we can go with option 1 and 2, Plus get Ryu and two prospects from the Pads,.

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

Ok.  Then you trade for a guy like Darvish.  You take the free agent pitcher like Keuchel who isn’t going to break the bank.  You then hope that Ohtani comes back as good as new and you manage his innings throughout the year.  What really are the other options?  Give up?  

This is almost exactly what I'd try to pull off now if I am Eppler. Sign Rendon, even if he is a little pricier than you hope. Then trade for Darvish/Contreras, and then sign a guy like Keuchel or Teheran (probably more realisitc).

That's a great team. Health permitting, it competes for the division. 

The Astros no longer have Cole, and the Yankees could lose Paxton and Tanaka after 2020. All is not fucked. Build a competitive team around a couple FA/trades the next tier down and let the kids keep developing. We’re doing fine still. 

Cole would have been awesome but as soon as Strasburg got a quarter bill it became really hard to see the Angels filling all their needs and affording Cole.

Edited by totdprods

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

Ok.  Then you trade for a guy like Darvish.  You take the free agent pitcher like Keuchel who isn’t going to break the bank.  You then hope that Ohtani comes back as good as new and you manage his innings throughout the year.  What really are the other options?  Give up?  

I see your point. I was hoping the Angels wouldn't have to make a significant trade for the pitcher in the beginning of the season. There would have to be an incentive for me to take Darvish until he's 36

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I see your point. I was hoping the Angels wouldn't have to make a significant trade for the pitcher in the beginning of the season. There would have to be an incentive for me to take Darvish until he's 36

image.png

This would be my incentive along with Barria having to be counted on to give us a lot of innings next year.  

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Here comes the home/away splits Nazi's! 

This could actually hurt the Rendon market.  The Dogs have the farm to make that trade, we dont.  Arrenado right now is the equivalent of a 7 yr 234M deal, thats likely less than what Rendon might cost them. 
Besides his away were still top notch at 277/346/521 so... kinda moot

Just now, floplag said:

This could actually hurt the Rendon market.  The Dogs have the farm to make that trade, we dont.  Arrenado right now is the equivalent of a 7 yr 234M deal, thats likely less than what Rendon might cost them. 
Besides his away were still top notch at 277/346/521 so... kinda moot

I wouldn't trade for Arenado for one reason only.

It will cost us Jo Adell and Griffin Caning, or Adell and a complete fleecing of our farm system.

You don't make that trade when a Rendon and Donaldson is available.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

It will cost us Jo Adell and Griffin Caning, or Adell and a complete fleecing of our farm system.

Exactly. Why trade Adell for a player when basically the same player is available on the free agent market...

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree, i was thinking more from the dogs perspective which could help us get one of the others. WE couldnt likely make that trade, they can.