• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Joe Maddon to interview with Angels this week

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What world do you guys live in where there is virtually no respect for employer and employee?  So let me get this straight, Eppler wouldn’t move on from a guy he hired last year and was forced to fire him, but Arte would fire a guy that he has worked with for 4 years, and just picked up his option?  There couldn’t be an adult conversation between Arte and Eppler that didn’t end with, “fire him or your fired?”  Sorry but that really isn’t how the world works, if it was then good luck getting a quality GM next time.  Now if Eppler refused Arte could have fired him, but hell he can fire him today for no reason.  

Or it could’ve been.

Arte: hey Epp, I don’t like the way things are going with Brad at the helm. Joe Maddon is going to be available so you need to fire Brad and go get Joe Maddon.

Eppler: ok, you’re the boss. 

4 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Or it could’ve been.

Arte: hey Epp, I don’t like the way things are going with Brad at the helm. Joe Maddon is going to be available so you need to fire Brad and go get Joe Maddon.

It’s not that either...

it was a mutual decision between Eppler and Arte with Arte at the end pushing that now is the time to make that kind of move. Arte played it smart by only picking up Eppler’s option. This allows Eppler to push a little more to earn an extension and for Arte to not have a huge risk if Eppler does the same stuff again. It’s a win-win for both sides.

5 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Or it could’ve been.

Or:

Arte:  Maddon is available.

Eppler:  I know.  You thinking what I am thinking?

Arte:  Yeah.  You know what to do.

Eppler:  Any concern over how it looks?

Arte: Not really.  Anybody that can’t understand why we all wouldn’t want Maddon isn’t worth worrying about.

Eppler:  haha.  Cool, sounds good.

Look, Ausmus was an interim manager, knowing the team was not completed and they were moving on from Scioscia they needed someone. A guy they had in house that wouldn't demand a change in venue seemed like the best idea. 

Maddon was neither available nor was there really hot seat rumors during last off season so it wasn't as though he was for sure not getting an extension. He was not part of any plan, he just became available, that's all.

By Maddon becoming available an interim manager was not needed since this upcoming season and the next is start of the competitive window. Make the move now, grab the guy that checks all of boxes because a manager of his level may not be available in 2021. 

A lot of you guys are pissing in the wind with made up scenarios and claiming to know the minds of those in the decision-making process but the simple truth is this is all about timing that could not be foreseen last year when Ausmus was offered the position. 

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Look, Ausmus was an interim manager, knowing the team was not completed and they were moving on from Scioscia they needed someone. A guy they had in house that wouldn't demand a change in venue seemed like the best idea. 

Maddon was neither available nor was there really hot seat rumors during last off season so it wasn't as though he was for sure not getting an extension. He was not part of any plan, he just became available, that's all.

By Maddon becoming available an interim manager was not needed since this upcoming season and the next is start of the competitive window. Make the move now, grab the guy that checks all of boxes because a manager of his level may not be available in 2021. 

A lot of you guys are pissing in the wind with made up scenarios and claiming to know the minds of those in the decision-making process but the simple truth is this is all about timing that could not be foreseen last year when Ausmus was offered the position. 

If he was looked at as an interim manager then he wouldn’t have gotten a 3 year deal.  

Given Maddon’s history with the Angels, there was probably only two scenarios that would have caused the Angels to not consider pursuing Maddon.

1). Mike Scioscia still managing the team.

2). Somebody else coming off taking the team deep into the postseason.

I feel like this interview went something like this:

Arte, Billy and Co waiting for Maddon

Maddon shows, up with a bottle of Booze and with a Smirk.

Madoon: How's it going?..... hahaha....You go really hold this Interview?

Arte/Eppler: F*ck no, here's a pen and paper and let get out of here.

Maddon: agreed....Cheers.

16 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Oh ok so...

Brad’s balance of connectivity, communication and leadership skills as well as his understanding of evolving strategies and probabilistic approach to decision-making, led us to him,” Angels general manager Billy Eppler said in a statement. “We believe his knowledge, drive and growth mind-set will allow him to integrate seamlessly with our players and will be pivotal in advancing our culture and moving us towarourgoals as an organization until Joe Maddon becomes available. Then we will fire him. 

Regarding the Ausmus firing, i think it came down to a few things.

1. There was a much better manager available, a HOF manager

2. Ausmus really hasn't show the success and  the fact that there seems to be a lack of communication by the coaches. We already know that White had trouble explaining his philosophy, and it fell on Paul and Ausmus, to make it better or have the communication flow, between them and Eppler. We already know that Eppler was also mulling the decisiono debating firing Ausmus, and the fact that Maddon was there, lack of success for Ausmus and than the communication did him in.

Also Skaggs issue probably had some kind of impact.

43 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

If he was looked at as an interim manager then he wouldn’t have gotten a 3 year deal.  

Two years salary is a pretty nice severance package.

I wish my employer would fire me right now and give me two years' salary.

Then in 6 month's time he could hire me back as a consultant.

I should add that the idea they hired Ausmus all along intending for him to manage for one year is ludicrous. 

The combination of Maddon becoming available and the Angels having their worst season in 20 years led to this decision. It probably doesn’t happen if only one of those things occurred.