• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Joe Maddon to interview with Angels this week

Former Chicago Cubs manager Joe Maddon is set to interview with the Angels this week, a source confirmed on Sunday, fueling speculation that the pairing of the Angels and Maddon remains on track.

Maddon, 65, is the only confirmed candidate for the Angels manager job, although general manager Billy Eppler said last week they would conduct a search.

The Angels fired Brad Ausmus after he led the team to a 72-90 record in his only season at the helm.

Maddon spent 31 years as a player and a coach in the Angels organization. He was a part of the coaching staff for the World Series title team in 2002 under manager Mike Scioscia.

Maddon has led the Chicago Cubs and Tampa Bay Rays to eight playoff appearances, including a World Series title with the Cubs in 2016.

View the full article

I'm fine with Maddon. He taught Scioscia everything he knows, but the difference between them is Maddon can actually adjust on the fly while Scioscia would continue doing the same stupid shit over and over again. He was so damn predictable.

I just hope it's not a 10 year deal. Seriously, Arte don't be stupid for once.

1 minute ago, JarsOfClay said:

I'm fine with Maddon. He taught Scioscia everything he knows, but the difference is between them is Maddon can actually adjust on the fly while Scioscia would continue doing the same stupid shit over and over again. He was so damn predictable.

This narrative is just dumb.  I like Maddon, I have zero issue with him, but your "he can adjust on the fly" nonsense is easily refuted when you look at their stretch run where they were heading to the playoffs and lost 8 straight games against division opponents.  

15 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

I'm fine with Maddon. He taught Scioscia everything he knows, but the difference is between them is Maddon can actually adjust on the fly while Scioscia would continue doing the same stupid shit over and over again. He was so damn predictable.

Jeff is gonna come in here and whoop your ass.

A mangers most important role is probably fostering a winning environment and cohesive unit in the clubhouse. Getting many different highly paid personalities to work toward a common goal greater than just that player.

Mike Scioscia was good at that. His game decisions were fairly predictable and middle of  the road in most aspects. Aggressive base running mantra seemed successful  His handling of the bullpen was a joke though.

Brad Ausmus wasn't great at the clubhouse thing. Offensively, his station to station preference didn't fit the team at all. But he handled the bullpen about as well as can be expected with that unit.

Maddon is very similar to Scioscia. Same clubhouse strength. Same offensive philosophy. Similar weakness when it comes to managing a bullpen.

Maddon would be an upgrade over Ausmus. He alone won't make this a playoff team. But he's a first step.

40 minutes ago, Second Base said:

A mangers most important role is probably fostering a winning environment and cohesive unit in the clubhouse. Getting many different highly paid personalities to work toward a common goal greater than just that player.

Mike Scioscia was good at that. His game decisions were fairly predictable and middle of  the road in most aspects. Aggressive base running mantra seemed successful  His handling of the bullpen was a joke though.

Brad Ausmus wasn't great at the clubhouse thing. Offensively, his station to station preference didn't fit the team at all. But he handled the bullpen about as well as can be expected with that unit.

Maddon is very similar to Scioscia. Same clubhouse strength. Same offensive philosophy. Similar weakness when it comes to managing a bullpen.

Maddon would be an upgrade over Ausmus. He alone won't make this a playoff team. But he's a first step.

Scioscia's bullpen management became a joke when his relievers became a joke!

45 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Is it the board opinion that Ausmus was a better handler of the bullpen than Scioscia?

Their differences in philosophy are clear... Brad leaned on his pen at every turn, while Scioscia tried to keep guys fresh. I'm not sure if Ausmus got more out of them though.

5 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Is it the board opinion that Ausmus was a better handler of the bullpen than Scioscia?

Their differences in philosophy are clear... Brad leaned on his pen at every turn, while Scioscia tried to keep guys fresh. I'm not sure if Ausmus got more out of them though.

I preferred Ausmus’ handling of the pen. 

I’d say that if they go with Maddon, they will hire a bench coach who he grooms. Maybe Chavez is that guy, maybe it’s Bengie or Jose Molina. I’d also think he may bring in Callaway as a pitching coach if he can. He was an excellent pitching coach in Cleveland and of course was on the 2002 World Series Team. (Even though he never had any postseason appearances).

If we treat a Ausmus as the analytics guy and Scioscia as more of the old school manager, Maddon would be kind of an in between on that. He’s not as much straight analytics as Aus, although more so than Sosh, but he also runs a similar clubhouse dynamic to Scioscia (from what I read, I think better, actually), which would be probably an improvement on Ausmus. Obviously I don’t know those things for certain, that’s just my impression. 

57 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Madden's use of Chapman in the world series is one of the worst managerial blunders I have ever seen. 

He knew Chapman was leaving and going back to the Yankees. I have no problem with what he did. He should have pitched him more. F*ck the Yankees.