• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Joe Maddon to interview with Angels this week

53 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If that's the case then he's a moron unfit to be anywhere near a baseball diamond, let alone managing a team.

Chapman threw 7.2 innings for the Cubs while Miller threw 7.1 for the Indians.  I guess Francona is also a moron unfit to be anywhere near a baseball diamond.

22 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Chapman threw 7.2 innings for the Cubs while Miller threw 7.1 for the Indians.  I guess Francona is also a moron unfit to be anywhere near a baseball diamond.

Francona wasn't worried about the Yankees when he was busy playing the Cubs in the world series as you suggest JM should have been.

Joe Maddon has his sights set on the Los Angeles Angels.

Maddon will interview with the Angels this coming week for their vacant managerial position, sources told The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal. The interview will take place Monday, a source told MLB Network's Jon Morosi.

The Angels are Maddon's preferred landing spot, Rosenthal adds.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Is it the board opinion that Ausmus was a better handler of the bullpen than Scioscia?

Their differences in philosophy are clear... Brad leaned on his pen at every turn, while Scioscia tried to keep guys fresh. I'm not sure if Ausmus got more out of them though.

Scioscia had a habit of choosing the wrong relievers and leaving him in a batter too long.  Ausmus' bullpen philosophy, though also flawed, was superior to Scioscia's.  Ausmus went to the pen too early, but he tended to pick the right match up and leave the relievers in the correct length of time.

Hopefully Joe will stick with his starting pitcher just a little while longer, while also smartly managing the pen.  Though as I understand, his bullpen management drove Cubs fans nuts. 

19 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Scioscia had a habit of choosing the wrong relievers and leaving him in a batter too long.  Ausmus' bullpen philosophy, though also flawed, was superior to Scioscia's.  Ausmus went to the pen too early, but he tended to pick the right match up and leave the relievers in the correct length of time.

Hopefully Joe will stick with his starting pitcher just a little while longer, while also smartly managing the pen.  Though as I understand, his bullpen management drove Cubs fans nuts. 

Scioscia's matchups were generally big picture selections. It could be frustrating at times but he would save guys if he thought there might be an even more appropriate use for him later, or if the team was already behind. He very much played losses into losses and wins into wins IMO. I felt like Ausmus played too many games like they were must win. I'm honestly not sure who's pen management I preferred so it's interesting to get different takes from the not so retarded members of this board. 

3 hours ago, Lou said:

Joe Maddon has his sights set on the Los Angeles Angels.

Maddon will interview with the Angels this coming week for their vacant managerial position, sources told The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal. The interview will take place Monday, a source told MLB Network's Jon Morosi.

The Angels are Maddon's preferred landing spot, Rosenthal adds.

Is he like, flying right now or something?

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

Though as I understand, his bullpen management drove Cubs fans nuts. 

I bet almost all fans think their manager can’t manage a bullpen. 

It’s because every time a reliever has a bad game, it’s the manager who put him in there. And no one thinks about it when the reliever does his job. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It’s because every time a reliever has a bad game, it’s the manager who put him in there. And no one thinks about it when the reliever does his job. 

Starter gets pulled. Reliever gives up runs. Fans: “Manager is an idiot. Starter was rolling!”

Starter is left in and gives up runs. Fans: “Wtf? Dude was ready in the bullpen. Couldn’t the manager see he was cooked?”

Fans just want to pretend they’re smarter than the guy with the data, and they invariably whine when it doesn’t go well. Same thing with pinch hitters, etc. People just want something to blame for losing an apparently winnable game. “They just beat us” doesn’t sound as cool as “the manager screwed up”.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Scioscia's matchups were generally big picture selections. It could be frustrating at times but he would save guys if he thought there might be an even more appropriate use for him later, or if the team was already behind. He very much played losses into losses and wins into wins IMO. I felt like Ausmus played too many games like they were must win. I'm honestly not sure who's pen management I preferred so it's interesting to get different takes from the not so retarded members of this board. 

It used to drive me nuts when MS would bring in Salas or some other scrub when the Halos were down by a run in the 7th.  That 1 run deficit would turn into a 2-3 run deficit way more often that I would have liked.  But after some time I realized that MS was just consulting his handy leverage charts and frankly, he was right to do what he did as painful as it was.  

With no runners on, no outs in the top of the 7th and down by a run, the leverage is 1.0.  

It was one of the main reasons why I felt like Scioscia needed strong bullpens.  Because he'd go to that 5th guy for those spots.  Ausmus seemed to routinely used his 2nd or 3rd best guy in those spots and over the course of 162 games, those guys were burnt.  And it wasn't just the number of innings.  I think MS just had a better idea of the long term play.  

ESPN is on it also...

The Los Angeles Angels will interview Joe Maddon for their vacant managerial position on Monday, a source confirmed to ESPN on Sunday night.

Maddon is the first known candidate at the moment, though Angels general manager Billy Eppler said earlier this week that the team will undergo a traditional search.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27788423/los-angeles-angels-joe-maddon-discuss-manager-job

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Kind of not true.

I look at consistency, strike one, working quickly and how he does with runners in scoring position both with a lead. But, what I think is more makeup is how he does behind in the game!

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

It used to drive me nuts when MS would bring in Salas or some other scrub when the Halos were down by a run in the 7th.  That 1 run deficit would turn into a 2-3 run deficit way more often that I would have liked.  But after some time I realized that MS was just consulting his handy leverage charts and frankly, he was right to do what he did as painful as it was.  

With no runners on, no outs in the top of the 7th and down by a run, the leverage is 1.0.  

It was one of the main reasons why I felt like Scioscia needed strong bullpens.  Because he'd go to that 5th guy for those spots.  Ausmus seemed to routinely used his 2nd or 3rd best guy in those spots and over the course of 162 games, those guys were burnt.  And it wasn't just the number of innings.  I think MS just had a better idea of the long term play.  

Couldn’t have been said any better.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ap-source-joe-maddon-interview-angels-manager-job-023802835--mlb.html

Ausmus was fired one year after replacing Scioscia, who spent 19 seasons on the Angels' bench. Los Angeles has had four consecutive losing seasons for the first time since the 1970s, and the Angels have yet to win a playoff game with Mike Trout or Albert Pujols in their high-priced lineup.

-----

let that sink in...

1 minute ago, Jay said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ap-source-joe-maddon-interview-angels-manager-job-023802835--mlb.html

Ausmus was fired one year after replacing Scioscia, who spent 19 seasons on the Angels' bench. Los Angeles has had four consecutive losing seasons for the first time since the 1970s, and the Angels have yet to win a playoff game with Mike Trout or Albert Pujols in their high-priced lineup.

-----

let that sink in...

Really?  Is there a single person here who wasn’t aware of that?  

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

-----

let that sink in...

Hiring Moe Baddon will change all of that.  You just watch.