• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Maybe y'all haven't paid attention to how far off a cliff Longoria has fallen. 

Last season Albert Pujols out performed him in OPS+.

Let that sink in. 

Albert should retire, his career has cratered, he is effectively done by most standards.

Longoria had a worse year. 

They got a Vernon Wells on their hands

Herrera may be a good sign for the White Sox, who will likely trade him this year.  Spend maybe $5 million in salary before they trade the other $13 million on his contract and come away with prospects.  Not sure they really need a closer this year.

According to Jon Heyman, neither the Phillies nor the White Sox have offered close to the $300 million-plus that free agent Manny Machado is requesting.

There isn't so much pressure for them to go that high when the Yankees seem only willing to sign him at a bargain rate and no one else is in the mix at all. The market for Machado should be significantly hotter, but the entire league is more fixated on profits than winning.

This has an Eppler/Arte swoop in written all over it. No draft pick, not likely a 10 year deal, all these fun swellopts being given. He may be a douche, but he fills a major hole offensively and defensively.

Owners see teams like Tampa and Oakland successful with shoestring budgets, and they hire GM’s who promise success with payrolls at sub-luxury tax levels. Friedman and Cashman are both starting to operate this way. With Illitch and Steinbrenner gone, there are fewer owners who’ll say, “Screw the budget, sign the top free agent!” With the back end of contracts ending up an albatross, it gives owners and gm’s excuses to not go long term on deals, even for younger players like Harper and Machado. Small budget teams don’t want to risk long term deals and big market teams are seeing less reason to when they can operate like a small market team most of the time and spend big only when they need to. 

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

I've read articles and have heard that all teams can afford any player. Whether or not they want to is a different story.

Mlb set another record for revenue last year (10.3 billion), while at the same time registering the lowest combined attendance since 2003.  The crazy part is that doesn't count the 2.75 billion they made from selling BAM to Disney...   Money they got.... Interest in spending it...not so much.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

That means l must be late for my algebra class, cause I heard the news after PE.

The equivalent on Angels Win will be.............

"Where were you when you first heard that Trout signed a long term deal with the Yankees?" 

IF it happens, of course.

And the even more heinous equivalent to 9/11 will be...........

"Where were you when you first heard that Trout signed a long term deal with the Dodgers?"

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

The equivalent on Angels Win will be.............

"Where were you when you first heard that Trout signed a long term deal with the Yankees?" 

IF it happens, of course.

And the even more heinous equivalent to 9/11 will be...........

"Where were you when you first heard that Trout signed a long term deal with the Dodgers?"

I’d be more upset that Trout signed somewhere else than that he signed with the Dodgers. For me it’d be more bewilderment since he’s already in LA and I can’t imagine Moreno being outbid by the Dogs. Only team I’d be really angry about him signing with would be the Yankees.