• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

45 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Assuming these shorter team contracts are the new normal, and both Harper and Machado get 6-8 year deals, does that change your offer to Trout?  Or do you still offer him 10 years and $400 million?

I offer Mike Trout whatever it takes to spend his career in an Angel uniform. If that is 10/400, or 12/480 or 8/320 matters little to me as a fan.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

just because it's a horrible deal for us, is it really that bad for Milwaukee? They're trying to win now, have upgraded a position that was greatly needed and did so without making a long-term commitment. 

i think it's pretty bad to give up a 2nd round pick and whichever int'l players you could have had for one year of a good catcher.

34 minutes ago, Lou said:

just because it's a horrible deal for us, is it really that bad for Milwaukee? They're trying to win now, have upgraded a position that was greatly needed and did so without making a long-term commitment. 

There may be a little bit of hyper valuing the 2nd round pick and the 500k international money on this board.  I think the Angels are probably better off having not done this (now anyway) but it could work out well for the Brewers for sure. 

7 hours ago, floplag said:

Must say the Grandal thing makes zero sense to me, if im him i fire my representation yesterday.
I wanted him, we all know that, but damn thats just too much even on a one year deal.
This market is crazy.

Fire his representative? 

Adults accept responsibility for their decisions,  good and bad. 

This was a realization that he was better off going back on the market next year without a QO. After seeing what Moustakas went through last year, this makes all the sense in the world for Grandal. 

That’s no small amount for Milwaukee either. I can’t really see them competing with the Halos on any free agents currently, possibly Moose or other FA IFs, but it might make it more difficult to pull off the rumors of the recent Bumgarner trade - which could help the Angels if they’re working on any sort of deal with any San Fran pitcher. 

Edited by totdprods

6 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

There may be a little bit of hyper valuing the 2nd round pick and the 500k international money on this board.  I think the Angels are probably better off having not done this (now anyway) but it could work out well for the Brewers for sure. 

There is no hyper valuing the money associated with the second round pick -- that's the bigger issue.  The changes to the draft assigning a hard slot value to each pick per spot means that losing the pick also means losing the money allocated to spend in the draft.  The Angels under Eppler have excelled at maximizing the value of their slot money.  Imo, their greatest success in the draft has been how they have spread that money around as much as who they have actually taken with the second round pick.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

From 4/60 to 1/18.  Ouch!  Can he get 3/42 in his next contract?

Catchers don't age well.

I'm ignorant of the rules regarding qualifying offers but I think minus that obstacle he probably gets 3/42 pretty easy.   Gotta figure playing in Milwaukee will do more to help his offense or mask decline than all those games in NL West parks.

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm ignorant of the rules regarding qualifying offers but I think minus that obstacle he probably gets 3/42 pretty easy.   Gotta figure playing in Milwaukee will do more to help his offense or mask decline than all those games in NL West parks.

Yup. Really think it's a good deal for both Grandal and Milwaukee. 

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

Fire his representative? 

Adults accept responsibility for their decisions,  good and bad. 

True enough, but in this case these decisions that were obviously based on what his advisers had told him.  This isnt a simply matter of deciding to have the ham sandwich over the broccoli shake.  
The final call was his, but im quite sure he based in on data provided by them unless he suddenly became an expert on the baseball finance world. 

What a crazy off season, just when you thought it couldnt get weirder after last year, the hot stove says hold my beer.  
Still obviously a lot to be resolved but who would have thunk the market for the top guys would drop to such a limited scale and virtually everyone else would be looking at shorter term deals. 
Were heading for another labor problem i think and im legit fearful for the future of the game.