• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

I’m going to go back to the loss of draft pick and loss of international money.  Can you imagine paying $18 million for a catcher for one year, and losing the draft pick and international money.  One year?  I would understand losing that for a longer term on a better player, but not for one year of a good but not great catcher.  

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

Pretty annoying that they just threw Lucroy a contract.  Apparently, they could have waited Grandal out.  This is the most frustrating moment of the offseason for me.  I am annoyed. 

You are kidding right?  It’s $18 million for one year of a good catcher.  And you lose a draft pick and international money.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You are kidding right?  It’s $18 million for one year of a good catcher.  And you lose a draft pick and international money.  

Admittedly, I momentarily forgot about the comp pick and the international money.  That takes the sting out a lot.  My knee jerk is wrong. 

Still.  It makes you wonder how the talks went.  If there were any. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

Admittedly, I momentarily forgot about the comp pick and the international money.  That takes the sting out a lot.  My kneee jerk is wrong. 

Still.  It makes you wonder how the talks went.  If there were any. 

They probably ended when he turned down 4 years and $60 million from the Mets.  He is getting paid $15 million more than Lucroy this off season.  I am guessing if we have $15 million more to spend we will all be happier with how we spend that money.  

6 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

Owners see teams like Tampa and Oakland successful with shoestring budgets, and they hire GM’s who promise success with payrolls at sub-luxury tax levels. Friedman and Cashman are both starting to operate this way. With Illitch and Steinbrenner gone, there are fewer owners who’ll say, “Screw the budget, sign the top free agent!” With the back end of contracts ending up an albatross, it gives owners and gm’s excuses to not go long term on deals, even for younger players like Harper and Machado. Small budget teams don’t want to risk long term deals and big market teams are seeing less reason to when they can operate like a small market team most of the time and spend big only when they need to. 

personally, i feel that long term guaranteed contracts hurt the game. i have no problem with players being paid exorbitant annual salaries. i think it's a joke that non contributing players are frequently making the most money and, sometimes, making no effort to earn their salary.

12 minutes ago, ukyah said:

personally, i feel that long term guaranteed contracts hurt the game. i have no problem with players being paid exorbitant annual salaries. i think it's a joke that non contributing players are frequently making the most money and, sometimes, making no effort to earn their salary.

Judging from this off season it appears that team owners concur with this sentiment

3 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

If you go 10 years I don't think you need to go to 400 mil. They could offer 356 mil and call him the half billion dollar Angel and I bet he'd sign

Would you have that ten take the place of the two years left or start in two years?