• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

I've touted Longoria's durability and reliability before, but I'm not sure on this one guys. He walked 22 times last year in 500 PA. His OBP was .281. His BB% has been steadily declining for eight straight seasons. It was 4% last year. Mike Moustakas, he of 'Oh what terrible OBP' fame had a 10% BB rate last season. 

I know the NL West is a tough division for hitters, but he'll be 33 and we'd have him on the books for four more seasons and $62m. 

I think I'd rather sign Moose and shell out the difference for Ottavino or another vet reliever, keep Cozart, and then throw a couple decent prospects at SFG for one of them instead.

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I've touted Longoria's durability and reliability before, but I'm not sure on this one guys. He walked 22 times last year in 500 PA. His OBP was .281. His BB% has been steadily declining for eight straight seasons. It was 4% last year. Mike Moustakas, he of 'Oh what terrible OBP' fame had a 10% BB rate last season. 

I know the NL West is a tough division for hitters, but he'll be 33 and we'd have him on the books for four more seasons and $62m. 

I think I'd rather sign Moose and shell out the difference for Ottavino or another vet reliever, keep Cozart, and then throw a couple decent prospects at SFG for one of them instead.

Yeah, I think Longoria is done.  Jose Fernandez had a better OPS+ last year.  Jose Briceno had the same.  Pass.

If Longo only had two years remaining like Cozart, I’d probably be okay taking the risk, but four more years? Can’t do it. Maybe if they also took Kole and chipped in a prospect, because we’d pretty much have to be assuming we’d be eating $17-29m or Longo’s money by the end of this.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Reagins traded Will Smith for Alberto Callaspo in 2010 btw.  not that it means anything.  

Interestingly, Callaspo gave us like 3 or 4 WAR two seasons in a row, and Smith wasn’t especially hyped at the time. All in all, probably a pretty fair deal.

Call it completely wishful thinking, as im sure it is, but the only way this thing with SF makes any sense at all is if we are completely lying in the weeds trying to do something crazy in 19/20.
Why else would we be in this right now for 2 guys that wont be here whenever the whole top 5 farm things hits?  Why would we take on Longorias money for that as he certainly wont be part of that puzzle.
To me that sounds like a move you only make if you are about to go ham.   The fact that they are in "constant" contact is maybe like "well do this if we get this other tihng done?"  
As said probably nonsense but does it make sense otherwise?

"Mark Melancon underwent forearm surgery in September of 2017 and hit the disabled list with an elbow flexor strain in March. After returning June 1, the righty posted his lowest K/9 since his 2009 rookie year and his highest BB/9 since 2010. During the second half his cutter velocity kicked back up, but Melancon will need to fix his walk rate to help offset his diminishing strikeout punch. At least Melancon still has the groundballs -- he has posted at least a 50% groundball rate in all but one big-league season."

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If we took Melancon and he came with Smith and Watson were talking about replacing 3/7 of our pen in one trade.  I’m not saying that’s bad just pointing it out. 

That fine - Watson and Smith are cheap and would still retain some trade value if things went south, either with their performance or the team’s. And Melancon wasn’t awful last year. Never know with relievers, he may bounce back. 

Anderson, Jerez, Pena, and Buttrey and any other RPs with options could start the year in AAA. It’d be great having actual relief talent to call up instead of Paredes, Morris, McGuire...I could see SFG also asking for someone like Bedrosian, Anderson, or Buttrey though as well to fill their pen void.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That fine - Watson and Smith are cheap and would still retain some trade value if things went south, either with their performance or the team’s. And Melancon wasn’t awful last year. Never know with relievers, he may bounce back. 

Anderson, Jerez, Pena, and Buttrey and any other RPs with options could start the year in AAA. It’d be great having actual relief talent to call up instead of Paredes, Morris, McGuire...I could see SFG also asking for someone like Bedrosian, Anderson, or Buttrey though as well to fill their pen void.

We can give them Bed Rock Bedrosian for free

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Any time the Angels leak something it seems like a leverage play.  They've probably got the highest offer out there on Ottavio and are trying to make him realize they're about to move on.  

This came from a Giants writer I believe, but I agree. As soon as Britton signed I’ve actually been expecting to hear the Angels acquire a reliever in some manner.