• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

4 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

How about Jed Lowrie? He seems to kill us every year. What do think he will cost $/yr?

I just dont see us doing that with Cozart signed for two more years, Fletch with options and Rengifo supposedly close to being MLB ready. He will get at least a two year deal. And Ward possibly being ready for 2020 alos figures in there.

Moustakas on another one year deal is another thing, though. But I doubt that happens. All our signings point to this being a year we punt and work on 2020.

Unless this is the calm before the .......................BIG SPLASH!!!

15 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Well, I guess there’s at least one. 

This was a discussion that you were involved in last year when the report came out.  I believe it was in the 2017 Hot Stove thread.  So you heard of it, you forgot about it.  You and I both believed it was bullshit at the time.  I think the deal if it was actually offered was offered before the Cozart signing and that the story leaked to make Boras look bad.  

2 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I just dont see us doing that with Cozart signed for two more years, Fletch with options and Rengifo supposedly close to being MLB ready. He will get at least a two year deal. And Ward possibly being ready for 2020 alos figures in there.

Moustakas on another one year deal is another thing, though. But I doubt that happens. All our signings point to this being a year we punt and work on 2020.

Unless this is the calm before the .......................BIG SPLASH!!!

Lowrie is going to be relatively cheap. When was the last time Cozart actually played a full season with losing substantial time to injury? What 5 years, and he is coming of another surgery. Lowrie can play 3 IF positions, could play 1B if needed I'm guessing as well.

23 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Lowrie is going to be relatively cheap. When was the last time Cozart actually played a full season with losing substantial time to injury? What 5 years, and he is coming of another surgery. Lowrie can play 3 IF positions, could play 1B if needed I'm guessing as well.

signing 3 players from a 90+ win team... sounds good to me.

55 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Lowrie hasnt played any significant SS since 2014. He was 30 then. Now he is 35. Both Fletcher and Cozart can cover than position, in a pinch.

No, I think we spend money elsewhere, unless Eppler thinks Lowrie is the answer as a leadoff hitter.

I like Lowrie. I think he could help us. I just dont think we will spend money in that direction.

A deal landing both Smith and Watson would be ideal. 

The writer for the Athletic speculates further: 

"The Angels and Giants have been in constant contact this winter over left-handers Will Smith and Tony Watson. Now that the Angels were runners-up in the Zach Britton sweepstakes, they might be ready to deal. Whether the two teams can find a match or not, they’ve already done plenty of legwork on each other’s systems.

How about the Giants expand those talks to send Longoria home to Orange County? The Angels could begin framing their side of a trade by including third baseman Zack Cozart, who was a disappointment in the first season of his three-year, $38 million contract and underwent season-ending shoulder surgery. The salaries would be a near wash in 2019 and 2020, given the amount Tampa Bay already is paying down, and the Giants would be free of the final two seasons of Longoria’s contract. In the short term, the Angels would get a more durable player and the Giants would get a more versatile piece who can play both middle infield spots."

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

A deal landing both Smith and Watson would be ideal. 

The writer for the Athletic speculates further: 

"The Angels and Giants have been in constant contact this winter over left-handers Will Smith and Tony Watson. Now that the Angels were runners-up in the Zach Britton sweepstakes, they might be ready to deal. Whether the two teams can find a match or not, they’ve already done plenty of legwork on each other’s systems.

How about the Giants expand those talks to send Longoria home to Orange County? The Angels could begin framing their side of a trade by including third baseman Zack Cozart, who was a disappointment in the first season of his three-year, $38 million contract and underwent season-ending shoulder surgery. The salaries would be a near wash in 2019 and 2020, given the amount Tampa Bay already is paying down, and the Giants would be free of the final two seasons of Longoria’s contract. In the short term, the Angels would get a more durable player and the Giants would get a more versatile piece who can play both middle infield spots."

If we can get Watson and Smith by taking on Longoria for Cozart and not costing us any top prospects, get-errrrrrr-DONE Billy boy! 

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If we can get Watson and Smith by taking on Longoria for Cozart and not costing us any top prospects, get-errrrrrr-DONE Billy boy! 

Keep in mind, Longoria is also due $16.6m in 2021, $14.6m in 2022, and then a $5m buyout for his '23 season (or a $13m option).

Cozart is $12.6m in 2019 and 2020. Basically you get Smith and Watson free, but you're sort of signing Cozart to a 2-yr extension. And Longo has been solid and durable, but I think I'd prefer Cozart.

Smith and Watson are pretty badass though. If it was Longoria, Smith, and Watson for essentially only Cozart...hard not to consider it, even with Longo's contract.

Edited by totdprods

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Keep in mind, Longoria is also due $16.6m in 2021, $14.6m in 2022, and then a $5m buyout for his '23 season (or a $13m option).

Cozart is $12.6m in 2019 and 2020. Basically you get Smith and Watson free, but you're sort of signing Cozart to a 2-yr extension. And Longo has been solid and durable, but I think I'd prefer Cozart.

I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. Throw in a couple of low tier prospects to make it happen and still go get Jed Lowrie to play 2nd while Fletcher roams.

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Holy smokes that would be awesome if we landed both Will Smith and Tony Watson.

I just wonder what the cost in terms of prospects/players would be?

i would have to think a bit high, likely higher than we would be willing to pay unless we suddenly become far more aggressive for 19/20.  

I did a quick check of thier top 10 prospects and they have a few pitchers in there, not sure how they rate overall but a quick scan of the end season top 100 shows them having #1 and 2 in there with a C and an OF in there but no pitchers.  I gotta believe it would cost us at least one of the young relievers from the ML club, probably another from the farm and maybe even an infield guy as they had none in thier top 10 and we have plenty 

The Giants look awful weak in the OF too, maybe this is a spot they could actually move Calhoun if they wanted to as he would actually be an upgrade there and even they go into a rebuild they still need to field a team.   I gotta believe dealing their top 2 relievers would signal that kind of shift. 

But i truly dont know the org that well despite watching them a few times a year when visiting my daughter.

19 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah that would be quite a coup imo.  
Watson is under contract till 20 before becoming UFA, Smith is in Arb4 and is UFA next year.  
This ONLY makes any sense if there is a huge shift to emphasis on 19 IMO.  Neither are likely to be here in 21 is that plan remains. 
Unless of course you do it just to spin them at the deadline which i hate trying to count on that.