• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

1 hour ago, nando714 said:

It seems like we’ve been finalist a lot and we lose out to the contenders

if you have to choose between the Yankees and angels . You’re gonna choose the team who’s contending. I don’t blame them. Angels aren’t contenders

Or, the team guaranteeing more money, which was the case this time.

6 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

This time? Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't this always been the case. What player did the Angels offer more money to that turned them down?

Ramos turned down the same amount.  By the way offering more isn’t a great idea.  You place a value, you negotiate and when terms are beyond that value.  

I just thing that Billy may just maybe playing mind games and actually aim for 2019. if you look at the guys that we have missed on, 4 out of the 5 have been over payed, while the teams that are signing these players are getting closed to the payroll threshold. basically Billy is eliminating competition for 2019 free agencies by having certain teams overpay.

11 minutes ago, Fregosi said:

Eppler should be targeting Marwin Gonzalez.  He can offer versatility with a switch hitting bat.  He could be the starter at 3B, as well as being the backup at SS, 2B, 1B, and the OF Corners.  He would be of help now as well as the future when the kids start making an impact.

unfortunately, a lot of teams are targeting him for the very same reason. 

The Mets and Astros have swung a five-player trade centering on corner infielder/outfielder J.D. Davis, according to both teams. New York has acquired Davis and minor league infielder Cody Bohanek in exchange for three minor leaguers – second baseman Luis Santana, outfielder Ross Adolph and catcher Scott Mane

The Pirates have hired former major league infielder David Eckstein to serve as a special assistant for baseball operations, Adam Berry of MLB.com was among those to cover. He’s now in the same organization as his brother Rick Eckstein, who’s entering his first season as the Pirates’ hitting coach.

4 hours ago, Fregosi said:

Eppler should be targeting Marwin Gonzalez.  He can offer versatility with a switch hitting bat.  He could be the starter at 3B, as well as being the backup at SS, 2B, 1B, and the OF Corners.  He would be of help now as well as the future when the kids start making an impact.

I don't think Gonzalez is as good as people are saying he is.

Marwin is not as good as some are saying.  When the smoke clears he’s not going to get 4 / $60mm.  GM’s are not going to overpay for a non Superstar.  Yet he brings great multi position defense and a .730 OPS to the team.  Not great offensively but better than any Angel not named Mike, Shohei, or Andrelton.  That being said I think he goes for 4/$36 mm or 3/$30mm.  

Boras is turning into Don King

Scott Boras, never at a loss for colorful phrasing, describes this type of contract as a “swellopt,” as the agent tells The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal (Twitter link).  “For the club, if the player performs well, the club can opt in (contract swells). For the player, if the club doesn’t opt in, the player has the choice to continue with contract (swell) or opt out. It’s a swell option for both,” Boras explained.