• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

AJ Cole was dfa’ed by the Yanks, definitely fits the usual Eppler mold. Jamie Schultz of the Rays also DFA’ed, also could be a target.

Jaime Schultz is the more attractive target, in my opinion. He has a really good curveball that can get LHHs out, so if he can develop that slider more he'd be a nice bullpen piece with that high K/9 rate.

8 minutes ago, ettin said:

Jaime Schultz is the more attractive target, in my opinion. He has a really good curveball that can get LHHs out, so if he can develop that slider more he'd be a nice bullpen piece with that high K/9 rate.

I think he's a good target as well.  Could get interesting with the 40 man if we add a major league reliever and do any claiming.  

3 hours ago, RBM said:

I would prefer we sign Jed Lowrie over Moustakis. Lowrie would be our leadoff hitter - .360 and .353 OBP the last two seasons.

I think it was @Stradling who has mentioned this idea a few times before and I agree, Lowrie would be a smart move.  Even if you have to sign him to a two year deal, if he has a year like he did last year, he should be easy to trade if the Angels end up not needing him that second year.

3 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I think it was @Stradling who has mentioned this idea a few times before and I agree, Lowrie would be a smart move.  Even if you have to sign him to a two year deal, if he has a year like he did last year, he should be easy to trade if the Angels end up not needing him that second year.

Yea I’ve been championing this for awhile.  I hope it happens but I’ve seen nothing to indicate it will.  With Lowrie and Ottavino this is a decent team capable of 87 or so wins.  

1 minute ago, floplag said:

I think most people would see the merit in Lowrie in many ways, but the issue is positional viability.  Mous gets the nod in that regard as a true 3B versus someone who has played some 3B. 
Either would help, id be happy with either, but i dont think either is wearing halo red anytime soon .  

Lowrie actually offers more versatility because he can play 2b or SS.  plus that .360 obp over the last couple years would look great in our leadoff spot.  

an argument could be made that Moustakas would be a nice fit for lineup depth with good power that could extend the lineup.  

I think either would be a good fit.  

Lowrie is likely too expensive. MLBTR predicts him getting 3/30. The Angels have already spent about 26 million.  The rumored 20-30 million Arte was willing to spend simply doesn't allow him to be able to afford Jed unless it's heavily backloaded. Lowrie made 6 million last year and I don't see him taking a paycut.

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Lowrie actually offers more versatility because he can play 2b or SS.  plus that .360 obp over the last couple years would look great in our leadoff spot.  

an argument could be made that Moustakas would be a nice fit for lineup depth with good power that could extend the lineup.  

I think either would be a good fit.  

true of course, but we already have a plethora of guys for those spots and few true 3B.  AS said i would be happy either way.  
Heck go get both and deal Cozart as soon as he shows healthy :)  

23 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Lowrie is likely too expensive. MLBTR predicts him getting 3/30. The Angels have already spent about 26 million.  The rumored 20-30 million Arte was willing to spend simply doesn't allow him to be able to afford Jed unless it's heavily backloaded. Lowrie made 6 million last year and I don't see him taking a paycut.

That was 30 million, and that was before they cut loose Marte, Shoemaker, and Parker, which cut upwards of 8 million off the payroll. They've spent 26, but with those cuts it's more like 18 million. They very well could be spending another 12 million plus.

15 minutes ago, ukyah said:

just sign ottavino, lowrie (2b), and moose (3b). then i can feel like we've accomplished something for this friggin season. i'm cool with harvey and cahill, but not AS the offseason.

F*ck yeah, could do that too. Turn Cozart into Zobrist, get him some time at every IF position and at least corner outfield. 

2 hours ago, floplag said:

true of course, but we already have a plethora of guys for those spots and few true 3B.  AS said i would be happy either way.  
Heck go get both and deal Cozart as soon as he shows healthy :)  

I’d leave Cozart to possibly fill 3B and platoon with Ward when he’s up and let Fletcher take 2B to start and then compete with Rengifo when he’s up. 

Is wait till the deadline to try and deal Cozart to unload some salary and then take a run at Arenado next offseason. 

22 minutes ago, jessecrall said:

Fletcher's defense will probably cut that gap quite a bit if not entirely for a fraction of the price.

And should Fletcher or Cozart wind up hurt, we’re relying on La Stella, Rengifo, or Ward to come up and produce?

I’ve no qualms giving a starting role to Fletcher - I was calling him our 2019 starting 2B before he sniffed AAA - but I can’t stress how important it is that the Angels take this time to stack their depth. Penciling Fletcher in as a starting infielder moves everyone below him on the depth charts up a notch, and while yes, I do want to see Rengifo and Ward get a shot, I’m also not convinced either are quite MLB-ready enough to step in and deliver early in the season if someone gets injured. 

I’d love to see the Angels acquire a 3B who offers a decent chance at posting good defense and a .750+ OPS. While I’d prefer that player to come with solid OBP, I’d feel confident Moustakas could give us both solid defense and a .750-.800 OPS better than just about any remaining FA. Set Fletcher and La Stella as UT IFs - they should be huge upgrades over Marte and Cowart.

9 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I’d leave Cozart to possibly fill 3B and platoon with Ward when he’s up and let Fletcher take 2B to start and then compete with Rengifo when he’s up. 

Is wait till the deadline to try and deal Cozart to unload some salary and then take a run at Arenado next offseason. 

I just have a hard time believing that the Angels can increase their payroll like that. Nolan Arenado is going to cost upwards of 30 or 40 million a year, and with extensions due to Mike Trout, Andrelton Simmons, Andrew Heaney, Tyler Skaggs, etc... the Angels payroll will already be right where it is right now, even after Pujols, Calhoun and Cozart coming off the books, and that's assuming we have significant contributions from prospects.

Adding Arenado would likely mean a 190 million or 200 million dollar payroll every year. Arte's operating budget the past few years has been right there around 160 million, at least to begin the year. 170 to finish sometimes.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And should Fletcher or Cozart wind up hurt, we’re relying on La Stella, Rengifo, or Ward to come up and produce?

I’ve no qualms giving a starting role to Fletcher - I was calling him our 2019 starting 2B before he sniffed AAA - but I can’t stress how important it is that the Angels take this time to stack their depth. Penciling Fletcher in as a starting infielder moves everyone below him on the depth charts up a notch, and while yes, I do want to see Rengifo and Ward get a shot, I’m also not convinced either are quite MLB-ready enough to step in and deliver early in the season if someone gets injured. 

I’d love to see the Angels acquire a 3B who offers a decent chance at posting good defense and a .750+ OPS. While I’d prefer that player to come with solid OBP, I’d feel confident Moustakas could give us both solid defense and a .750-.800 OPS better than just about any remaining FA. Set Fletcher and La Stella as UT IFs - they should be huge upgrades over Marte and Cowart.

I think in the most ideal of scenarios, Trout is extended, Adell takes over in RF, Jahmai Jones explodes in AA and takes over 2B in 2020, Rengifo proves last year wasn't a fluke and builds on it and transitions over to 3B, while Ward and Thaiss battle it out for 1B (the other gets part time DH duty when Ohtani isn't hitting. and Fletcher grabs starts three days a week just generally filling in for Jones and Rengifo, and is a pinch hitter, runner and late inning defensive replacement.

If this played out, it would open up some payroll space, and create a very dynamic offensive and defensive unit.

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Nolan Arenado is going to cost upwards of 30 or 40 million a year, and with extensions due to Mike Trout, Andrelton Simmons, Andrew Heaney, Tyler Skaggs, etc...

Not to say I’d do it in order to sign Arenado, but personally I think the Angels should consider trading one of these names before all is said and done to add to the youth movement. And I don’t mean Trout.

It would free up some future payroll commitments and ideally add just enough young talent to the system to either set the big league team’s depth up comfortably, or allow a trade for the next Heaney or Skaggs or Simmons.

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

That was 30 million, and that was before they cut loose Marte, Shoemaker, and Parker, which cut upwards of 8 million off the payroll. They've spent 26, but with those cuts it's more like 18 million. They very well could be spending another 12 million plus.

Won't other players be getting a raise in arbitration?

35 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Won't other players be getting a raise in arbitration?

I believe that number was assuming arb figures. It isn't to say the Angels are going to spend that 12 million or so. They could blow past it, or they could not spend anything at all and leave the excess for potential deadline deals if the Angels are competitive. But I'd say the likelihood of adding at least another five million or so on pitching seems relatively high. There are definitely some guys that seem worth taking a flyer on lie Pomeranz or Shelby Miller. But they technically would still remain within their reported budgetary restrictions if they signs a Moustakas or Lowrie level player. 

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Despite the 100 point OPS difference?

depends on if you believe in Fletcher's gold glove level defense at 3b.  He was absolutely amazing on D last year.  

but if I had to choose an avg defender putting up 2.5-3 war because of their offense vs. one doing the same mostly because of their defense, I would more likely choose the more offensive minded player.  

Unless you are Simmons and your defense is HOF level of course.