• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

I was disappointed that Kikuchi didn't work out, I was just relaying one team's assessment of the situation. They felt Billy Eppler could get any Japanese player he wanted at this point because the track he's laid there the past decade, and that the Kikuchi bidding wouldn't be strong, though I was not told why (I wonder if this had to do with their personal scouting report).

I wasn't intending to aim it at anything or anyone in particular...   Pretty much everyone has been off on the Angels this winter.   Like I said, they have pretty much done what they said they would do, they have just done it differently than any of us expected. 

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

I was disappointed that Kikuchi didn't work out, I was just relaying one team's assessment of the situation. They felt Billy Eppler could get any Japanese player he wanted at this point because the track he's laid there the past decade, and that the Kikuchi bidding wouldn't be strong, though I was not told why (I wonder if this had to do with their personal scouting report).

Supposed to be a lot of Japanese players potentially coming over next winter, I believe. 

20 hours ago, totdprods said:

275/.350/.500/.850 and hit 35 doubles, 30 HR (honestly, not impossible in the three-true outcome age

You have smoked yourself stupid. Calhoun's short stretch of success last summer was replaced by numbers as bad as the first two months of the season. He may fall somewhere in between next season or continue to fall off a cliff but he isn't touching an .850 ops. Not without help from Cano's medicine cabinet. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

You have smoked yourself stupid. Calhoun's short stretch of success last summer was replaced by numbers as bad as the first two months of the season. He may fall somewhere in between next season or continue to fall off a cliff but he isn't touching an .850 ops. Not without help from Cano's medicine cabinet. 

Hey! Literally the whole remainder of that post accounted for that.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, Lou said:

he had a 48-game stretch of batting .300 (.362/.600/.962)

that was followed by a 26-game stretch of batting .121 (.270/.220/.490)

looks like he may have made 3 left turns 

That is a major worry.    What would cause such a fall off after two great months?   Especially the BA/slugging % falling off the map!

Read that Harper/Borass meeting with Nats for 4 hours

My instincts are the following.

Nats offered Harper a take it or leave it top offer of 10/300

Harper declined

Nats signed Corbin thinking Harper was gone

Harper hasn't received an offer even matching Nats 

Harper trying to re-visit 10/300 with wanting them to add a little just to save face

Interested to see what happens!

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

That is a major worry.    What would cause such a fall off after two great months?   Especially the BA/slugging % falling off the map!

Some of that is bad luck. Low BAbip while maintaining a .150 difference between BA and OBP indicates he was still seeing the ball well and showing good discipline. Some of it is natural regression. He isn’t as good as that summer surge. And some of it was probably losing some focus/interest as games became meaningless, or time/disinterest leading to him getting away from some of the corrections he made to get back on track. Some of it is also sample size. 26 games isn’t much. For instance, you could cut the first week of September and attach it to the summer surge and he still has a .900 OPS over 70 summer games.

Or he just sucks again. 

But I’m a little optimistic that by having the same coach who turned him around in Arizona at his side for the whole season will at least lead to some consistency if not that peak we saw. He’s also been so volatile in recent years, I wouldn't be too surprised if he happened to post a career year in ‘19.

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

Read that Harper/Borass meeting with Nats for 4 hours

My instincts are the following.

Nats offered Harper a take it or leave it top offer of 10/300

Harper declined

Nats signed Corbin thinking Harper was gone

Harper hasn't received an offer even matching Nats 

Harper trying to re-visit 10/300 with wanting them to add a little just to save face

Interested to see what happens!

He can easily get that from chi Sox or Phils

5:38 PM: Levine does take care to note that, per his sources, Harper “has had” ten-year offers with “big” proposed AAV salaries, though the tendering clubs remain as yet unknown.

source = Scott Boras
tendering clubs = mystery teams.  

I think Harper ends up with the Nats on the 10/300 he was initially offered.  Maybe he gets 10/330.