• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the Royals got Jorge Lopez and Brett Phillips for Moustakas at the deadline last year.  Lopez was 25 at the time and a former top 100 guy that has yet to be successful at mlb.  Phillips was also a top 100 that's been an mlb failure so far, but he's still only 24.  

It is astounding. The man can't find a job in the offseason (exaggeration) but brings in considerable value at the trade deadline.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

It is astounding. The man can't find a job in the offseason (exaggeration) but brings in considerable value at the trade deadline.

Not being an asshole here, but is that real value?  A 24 and a 25 year old prospect that hasn’t really seen major league success?  Club control only matters if these guys deserve to be on a major league roster.  I think I’d rather take a younger guy where there is more room for development.  

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I like Mous, but what in Eppler’s make up makes you think he would pay $9 million for part of a platoon?  Hell if that was the case don’t you think we would have already signed a Jon Jay type to be the right handed platoon for Kole?  

My guess is they are still trying to find a taker for Calhoun or Cozart. Freeing up money to fill other holes makes more sense.

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

My guess is they are still trying to find a taker for Calhoun or Cozart. Freeing up money to fill other holes makes more sense.

I really hope this is the case, but im not holding my breath at this point.  Although i'm not sure i see how they could move Calhoun unless they sign another OF and i dont see that in the budget. 
At this point im assuming what we have today is what we open Spring Training with.

15 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

It's really hard to imagine a team taking on Cozart at this point even though I'd welcome it.  I think a lot of other weird stuff would have to happen elsewhere.  

I think Calhoun is staying.  If he can recoup some value, they can move him at the deadline should the situation arise.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Not being an asshole here, but is that real value?  A 24 and a 25 year old prospect that hasn’t really seen major league success?  Club control only matters if these guys deserve to be on a major league roster.  I think I’d rather take a younger guy where there is more room for development.  

For two months of Moustakas. And consensus would suggest that's a better haul than what the Angelspulled in for Kinsler, though I'd argue that.

At the end of the day, my interest isn't in Moustakas' trade value, it's in his production and what that production means a d how it comes about. The other stuff is more ancillary. Simply put, the Angel's offense needs something, be it a lead off hitter so that Trout drives in more, or another middle of the order bat to make it a deeper lineup, capable of driving in Trout, Upton and Ohtani. 

The more cost effective of the two seems to be a leadoff hitter. If Cozart was the 2017 version of himself, it would be him. But that guy has never surfaced anytime but in his contract year. Fletcher seems like a good candidate except for the .310 OBP. Luis Rengifo would make for an amazing leadoff hitter except he's ticketed for AAA, likely for a reason. But hopefully he can be that guy in June or July.

So if the Angels won't get one of those,  then they should get a starting 3B that will hit 30+ HR's. Its makes the lineup deeper, more dangerous,adds a left handed bat, and it pushes Cozart into competing with Fletcher for the starting 2B spot, where Cozart's defensive profile is a better fit. Plus, I'd like to see the Angels forget about money for just a moment, and actually see if Cozart, Calhoun and Pujols could a totally earn a starting spot.

Cozart would face Fletcher and Rengifo, and I get the feeling he would lose. Fletcher is just as good in the field if not better, Rengifo and Fletcher are faster, Fletcher puts the ball in play more, and Rengifo would likely get on base more.

Calhoun likely would beat out Hermosillo but no guarantees. Pujols at this stage of his career would've been beat out by Robb Quinlan. Bour isn't great, and Thaiss isn't ready, but they'd both beat Albert.

If Moustakas forced Cozart to compete, the Angels would be better for it.

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

For two months of Moustakas. And consensus would suggest that's a better haul than what the Angelspulled in for Kinsler, though I'd argue that.

At the end of the day, my interest isn't in Moustakas' trade value, it's in his production and what that production means a d how it comes about. The other stuff is more ancillary. Simply put, the Angel's offense needs something, be it a lead off hitter so that Trout drives in more, or another middle of the order bat to make it a deeper lineup, capable of driving in Trout, Upton and Ohtani. 

The more cost effective of the two seems to be a leadoff hitter. If Cozart was the 2017 version of himself, it would be him. But that guy has never surfaced anytime but in his contract year. Fletcher seems like a good candidate except for the .310 OBP. Luis Rengifo would make for an amazing leadoff hitter except he's ticketed for AAA, likely for a reason. But hopefully he can be that guy in June or July.

So if the Angels won't get one of those,  then they should get a starting 3B that will hit 30+ HR's. Its makes the lineup deeper, more dangerous,adds a left handed bat, and it pushes Cozart into competing with Fletcher for the starting 2B spot, where Cozart's defensive profile is a better fit. Plus, I'd like to see the Angels forget about money for just a moment, and actually see if Cozart, Calhoun and Pujols could a totally earn a starting spot.

Cozart would face Fletcher and Rengifo, and I get the feeling he would lose. Fletcher is just as good in the field if not better, Rengifo and Fletcher are faster, Fletcher puts the ball in play more, and Rengifo would likely get on base more.

Calhoun likely would beat out Hermosillo but no guarantees. Pujols at this stage of his career would've been beat out by Robb Quinlan. Bour isn't great, and Thaiss isn't ready, but they'd both beat Albert.

If Moustakas forced Cozart to compete, the Angels would be better for it.

Cozart is either the 2b or 3b unless they trade him.  He better compete anyway because if he rocks an ops in the low .600's, someone else is going to get at bats over him.  Whether that's Fletcher, Rengifo, Ward, La Stella or someone else that emerges.  

Moustakas takes away early opportunities from the four not named Cozart, but he's likely going to be better than any of them at this point.  

Calhoun is not competing for Hermosillo.  Even if he has a crap spring, Kole will be the starting RFer.  There's an outside chance that it could be a platoon, but we might even see Bourjos over Herm.  

Right now, I think Kole is the leadoff guys vs RHers and either Simmons or Cozart vs. lefties.  Moustakas isn't great, but he probably does add some depth to the lineup.  

56 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

sounds like the Halos did have interest in Tulo for 3b before he signed with the Yanks.  

Yep, I have a feeling that Moustakas will take another 1-year deal with possibility a team or player option from the Halos. 

I think the Angels biggest competitor for Moustakas is the Chicago White Sox and they have been said to have an open wallet this offseason. 

Outside of the ChiSox and Angels, I don't see another team in need of a 3B. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

I think the Angels biggest competitor for Moustakas is the Chicago White Sox and they have been said to have an open wallet this offseason. 

Outside of the ChiSox and Angels, I don't see another team in need of a 3B. 

on a 1yr deal, he could play some 3b and 1b as well as some DH.  I could see the Rays being interested.  Maybe the Yankees if they miss out on Machado.  Doubtful the but maybe the mets.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

on a 1yr deal, he could play some 3b and 1b as well as some DH.  I could see the Rays being interested.  Maybe the Yankees if they miss out on Machado.  Doubtful the but maybe the mets.  

The Mets have Todd Frazier and Jeff McNeil at 3B, D. Smith and Alonso for 1B. 

The Rays have Duffy and Yandy at 3B.

Brewers also kicked around re-signing Moose and putting Shaw at second. Can’t count them out. 

Lowrie’s age is my only concern - he and Moose deserve at least two years, and while Lowrie’s a safer bet to be ‘better’ in year one, age may catch up before the contract is our, whereas Moose may stay stable throughout 2-3 years. Lowrie profiles better as a 2B too, and we’d really have more need at 3B, in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The Mets have Todd Frazier and Jeff McNeil at 3B, D. Smith and Alonso for 1B. 

The Rays have Duffy and Yandy at 3B.

Rays were trying to sign Cruz so Moustakas could be and option for them.  

I doubt the Mets do anything, but they've been pretty unpredictable this winter.  

44 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Rays were trying to sign Cruz so Moustakas could be and option for them.  

I doubt the Mets do anything, but they've been pretty unpredictable this winter.  

The Rays may try to trade for EE from the Mariners still, but I'm guessing they'll go with Nate Lowe. Big lefthanded bat with power that profiles as a weak 1B, true DH type.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=663993#/career/R/hitting/2018/ALL

On December 30, 2018 at 11:06 AM, Second Base said:

I too was surprised they DFA'd Brice before some of the others. Brice's velo, ground ball tendencies and success in AAA seemed to make him a fit. Hope he decides to return.

claimed by the Orioles