• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Ottavino has a 3.90 ERA and a 1.4 WHIP in his career away from Coors.  Yeah, he strikes out a bunch of dudes, but pretty much all relievers do these days.  I'm not seeing what's so great about him. 

You're including his poor 2017 when he was coming back from TJ...

And remember, where you're talking about. Coors field is the best hitters park in the league, regardless of the humidifier.

He had a 2.70 ERA Away in 2018..and a 1.69 ERA in 2016, so that's great. IN 2017, when he was coming back from TJ was 4.6, but that's still almost a run lower than at home.

Maybe not for the Kimbrel contract, but for 3/27? As a potential closer?

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Jim Johnson is an experienced reliever.

I prefer good. 

To be fair, wasn’t much different from what David Hernández was, and he wound up being good. 

Think the key to the pen is have a healthy rotation, have a bunch of young arms with upside and more importantly options, and bring in a couple vets on short-term/low-dollar contracts and hope for the best.

Gambling on one ‘expensive’ arm is alright, so long as you aren’t hinging the success of the pen on him and him alone.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

To be fair, wasn’t much different from what David Hernández was, and he wound up being good. 

Think the key to the pen is have a healthy rotation, have a bunch of young arms with upside and more importantly options, and bring in a couple vets on short-term/low-dollar contracts and hope for the best.

Gambling on one ‘expensive’ arm is alright, so long as you aren’t hinging the success of the pen on him and him alone.

Wait, did you just say Jim Johnson wound up good?

8 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Wait, did you just say Jim Johnson wound up good?

No. Hernández was. We grabbed Hernández from AAA from ATL(?) when his track record wasn’t much different than that of Johnson.

Just a sign you never really know with relievers. 

Also, keep in mind Johnson also got us money for Shohei, Maitan, Soto, and maybe Contreras. All things said, he wasn’t bad.

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It's more having a guy who can eventually bridge to someone currently in the pen, down the road.   There are ZERO solid pitching mentors in the pen.  

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It's more having a guy who can eventually bridge to someone currently in the pen, down the road.   There are ZERO solid pitching mentors in the pen.  

Yup - but it doesn’t have to be someone big money like Ottavino either. 

The Angels could spoof Norris, Parker, Hernandez, and Petit and sign, I dunno, Francisco Liriano, Tyler Clippard, and Nate Karna to minor league deals and wind up with a great pen led by them and Luis Garcia. Bullpens are weird. I’ve given up assuming any reliever will be good year in, year out, except David Robertson - though his consistency is sure to meet an off-year eventually.

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why

I think so, just because it doesn’t mean anything.  It doesn’t tell us anything about how seriously the Angels pursued the player.  It doesn’t tell us anything about whether the player was close to signing.  It’s just useless information.  How many players do the Angels submit offers to ? Not a small number I suspect.  I mean these don’t even indicate whether there was any kind of negotiation.  It just seems to push this narrative that the Angels are striking out constantly and that’s it.  I don’t see the point. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think so, just because it doesn’t mean anything.  It doesn’t tell us anything about how seriously the Angels pursued the player.  It doesn’t tell us anything about whether the player was close to signing.  It’s just useless information.  How many players do the Angels submit offers to ? Not a small number I suspect.  I mean these don’t even indicate whether there was any kind of negotiation.  It just seems to push this narrative that the Angels are striking out constantly and that’s it.  I don’t see the point. 

just because we don't know anything doesn't make it meaningless.  

I think people all over who are fans of baseball are desperate for any kinda of storyline to chase down.  So these little nothing drivles of information spawn these narratives that probably don’t have a lot of basis in how things actually are.  For me, I don’t care about that at all.  To each their own though.  

This is exactly why they need to figure out some kind of FA signing window.  So there’s some structure to this.  It would make it so much more interesting. 

Manny Machado's wife is reportedly 'enamored' with New York City

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-bryce-harper-manny-machado-gets-10-year-deals-depends-ask-005226939.html

According to the latest report on Manny Machado’s free agency, the happiness of his wife Yainee may lead to happy fans in one MLB city. According to the New York Daily News’ Wallace Matthews, Yainee Machado is “enamored” with New York City and has a “strong influence” on the decision.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Manny Machado's wife is reportedly 'enamored' with New York City

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-bryce-harper-manny-machado-gets-10-year-deals-depends-ask-005226939.html

According to the latest report on Manny Machado’s free agency, the happiness of his wife Yainee may lead to happy fans in one MLB city. According to the New York Daily News’ Wallace Matthews, Yainee Machado is “enamored” with New York City and has a “strong influence” on the decision.

I wonder if Harper's wife's name is Angelie