• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels administering 2-hour written test to manager candidates

budice0

Just for giggles, I met with Eppler yesterday and took his little test. The first question was "If an electric train leaves Chicago going south at 60 mph, and a second electric train leaves New York going west at 80 mph, which way does the smoke from the smokestack blow?" I slammed down my #2 pencil, called Eppler a hipster doofus, and walked out with dignity intact. 

When I become GM, we'll do things a bit differently, trust me.

32 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

He didn't make fun of it. He just said he doesn't like it. Which it's a television show and they are asking him his opinion. I don't get feeling upset by someone's opinion on the topic. Maybe it works out maybe it doesn't time will tell. 

I just found it strange that John Hart was acting like the entire interview would be that test. He kept going on about how he wants to be in the room with someone and not just go off test results.

2 minutes ago, WholeFnShow said:

I just found it strange that John Hart was acting like the entire interview would be that test. He kept going on about how he wants to be in the room with someone and not just go off test results.

Ya exactly, guy was acting like they weren’t going to talk to the candidates at all.  This is just an aspect of the evaluation process.  

9 minutes ago, Tank said:

Just for giggles, I met with Eppler yesterday and took his little test. The first question was "If an electric train leaves Chicago going south at 60 mph, and a second electric train leaves New York going west at 80 mph, which way does the smoke from the smokestack blow?" I slammed down my #2 pencil, called Eppler a hipster doofus, and walked out with dignity intact. 

When I become GM, we'll do things a bit differently, trust me.

Tank, please never use "smoke" and "blow" in the same paragraph in this thread.  Now Ron Washington and Josh Hamilton want to be considered for the job.

My opinion on the written test is that I agree with Brian Kenny.  It doesn't hurt to gather information in all sorts of ways.  The Angel organization would have to know that they might find detractors to using a written test, and maybe even some ridicule.  They also had to know they couldn't keep the process quiet.  Every little thing gets exposed in baseball.  I think it shows thinking outside the box.  Traditional baseball pundits embrace change rather slowly, but eventually they will have a altered view when better results are obtained by others.  In this case if they find a perfect fit, and eventual success, the detractors will disappear.

By the way, I just started reading Brian Kenny's book "Ahead of the Curve" (Inside the Baseball Revolution).  He appears to attack much of the traditional ways of managing and assembling modern baseball teams.  I got a soft bound copy of it on Amazon for $9.95 with free shipping.  Looks good!  It seems to me that this is the way Eppler is headed.

43 minutes ago, WholeFnShow said:

I agree

RIP, kevinb 

2 hours ago, tomsred said:

Ask Tank, he uses written tests at all of his baseball luncheon meetings.  It's the teacher in him, LOL.

I'll save you a little time, this is one of Tank's favorite questions:

Please explain the following chart's relevance to the Marine Layer at Angels Stadium?  You have five minutes to submit your answer.

curve_En.png

that's easy 

Spoiler

Cam sucks 

Billy Eppler just shot himself in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about baseball culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the NBA where you can become successful by being an a******. If you screw someone over in baseball by shitty purity tests, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. What this means is the Angels will get a nerd manager, and the baseball public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to support the Angels, nor will they watch any games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Billy Eppler has alienated an entire market with this move.

Billy Eppler, publicly apologize and resign or you can kiss Trout and Ohtani goodbye. 

20 minutes ago, failos said:

Billy Eppler just shot himself in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about baseball culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in the NBA where you can become successful by being an a******. If you screw someone over in baseball by shitty purity tests, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. What this means is the Angels will get a nerd manager, and the baseball public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to support the Angels, nor will they watch any games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Billy Eppler has alienated an entire market with this move.

Billy Eppler, publicly apologize and resign or you can kiss Trout and Ohtani goodbye. 

This was weird enough on the politics forum.  Even more strange here. 

1 hour ago, failos said:

Yea... I’m sure Eppler will be fine.

1 hour ago, failos said:

Why do I feel like this is sort of a continuation of the post where the whole nation of Japan was insulted?

5 hours ago, failos said:

Or you know people in baseball are aware things are changing and becoming more about the analytics and they are thinking "whatever"...    Truth is, the only info out there right now is a Jon Morosi blurb and nobody knows how in depth it really is -- chances are the guys that don't get the job may give us more insight into what it entailed.   As of today nobody that's been considered for the job has passed on it ...  So there is that.

People here can pretend whatever they want but, the Angels job isn't the Minnesota Twins.   It's a big market team with big market budget and it's been suffering through some down years.   It makes sense that the team make getting the position seem like something that should take some effort.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Questions from the written exam:

Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Dipoto party?

What is your general policy on your baseball pants, baggy or Baryshnikov?

Where did you stand on Finley vs. Tawny Kitaen?

Would have brought in Gary Lucas to face Rich Gedman?

Was Daryl Sconiers mishandled?

Would you let a player wear their hat like Fernando Rodney?

Is the fast pass at Knotts Scary Farm worth the extra $80 bucks?

Are you familiar with Jack Lazorko?

Given only these two choices, does Pujols bat 3rd or 7th?

If the clubhouse wants to play the same Drake song every night, do you allow it considering he has absolutely zero talent and his music is better suited to torture captured terrorists in lieu of waterboarding?

18 hours ago, True Grich said:

I had to let this sink in a bit before I made a real comment.  It just feels strange.  I mean - why does it have to be a written test?  What is the advantage of this over verbally asking the same questions?  I know this isn't the only part of the process - but never-the-less, it feels odd to me.  I'd like to understand the reasoning and/or the advantages of adding this piece to the process. 

In the end, I guess the more information they gather - the better.  But still...

Just thinking about this, I would guess that they send this to those who are interested in the job, and then use their answers in the verbal interview part.  Maybe with the written part, they can eliminate some from contention.