• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels administering 2-hour written test to manager candidates

budice0

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because we always heard how dumb he was.  

Not at all.  Have you ever watched the movie, "Miracle" about the 1984 Olympic Hockey team?  I'm thinking about the goalie, Jim Craig.  He refused to take the test, and that's actually what defined one of his better traits. 

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

Does everyone think this test is a good idea? I know a manager has to be intelligent, bu it's not the equivalent of taking the SAT. I think, more than anything, a manager is about handling relationships. I'm not sure how a test shows that.

Maybe they are using it to weed people out who are unwilling to even take it...  

23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Hey @Lou would you rather be part of a we that includes Canadian Halo, Jars, Vladdy and the like or one that includes normal people that includes me (my normal I mean white obviously).  

To be fair.  Isn’t Canadian Halo posting from some frozen tundra in Manitoba or something.  That can’t be great for cognitive function.  

I feel like something like that is more window dressing than actually matters.  Its more about how much they want the job if they are willing to go thru it. 
It also tells me that the big names are out, those guys wont do that.   Could you see Girardi being bothered with something like that with his resume?  
Were looking at Chavez or another first timer, book it. 

You have a choice between two guys in today's lineup. One guy has always played in the past against lefties because the previous manager relied on the traditional lefty/righty matchup theory when making out his lineup cards. However, one player is 5 for 40 in his last 40 at bats against lhp. The other guy went 2 for 3 with a walk, a home run yesterday, and has been raking in his limited opportunities. Are you able to make the decision who gives you the best chance of winning the game today without taking into account how many major league games each guy has appeared in, and who you personally like as a person more?

Also, please explain if there is any situation in which the contact play should ever be used. If your answer is "I saw it work once in one of my son's little league games." Please return the test immediately.

29 minutes ago, floplag said:

I feel like something like that is more window dressing than actually matters.  Its more about how much they want the job if they are willing to go thru it. 
It also tells me that the big names are out, those guys wont do that.   Could you see Girardi being bothered with something like that with his resume?  
Were looking at Chavez or another first timer, book it. 

I think I'd rather have first- timer than some crustiness like Dusty Baker, Buck Showalter, or Joe Girardi.  Obviously, there is a predictability in those hires but it doesn't appear that is what Eppler is going for.  

3 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I think I'd rather have first- timer than some crustiness like Dusty Baker, Buck Showalter, or Joe Girardi.  Obviously, there is a predictability in those hires but it doesn't appear that is what Eppler is going for.  

Seems pretty clear that most teams in baseball are moving away from those types.  Probably for the best. 

31 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

No, it doesnt.  And that can be ok pending which one and what his style actually is.  If hes too robotic and basically playing live action start-o-matic whats the point of even having one?  :)  

27 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Seems pretty clear that most teams in baseball are moving away from those types.  Probably for the best. 

I think it depends on the guy.  Im not big on the robotic types as mentioned above.  Im all for analytics but with a human element.  New guys will be lacking in that regard but you gotta start somewhere i guess .

4 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

This is awesome. I love how seriously Eppler is taking it.

I was gonna post that the angels should force each managerial candidate to write his starting lineup. If Pujols plays over Ohtani, throw his application in the shredder. If Pujols is hitting 3rd or 4th, put his application in the shredder. If Ohtani sits against lefites, put his application in the shredder. If Calhoun and his 250 obp is hitting leadoff put his application in the shredder.

Only bad managers do this. So the lineup card alone will give you an idea if the manager is bad or good. 

My favorite post of the year

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Stradling, no joke dude. I have this technology available for those who register here. 

Someone should start a new thread or PM with 5-10 questions that qualify for an email activation link if you pass, if not no dice. 

On some of the Facebook pages I frequent, there were two or three questions regarding the subject topic to answer to qualify for membership. Those who wanted to join just to post spam were often headed off at the door.