• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Scioscia gone after this season?

Glen

Is Scioscia gone after this season?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Is Scioscia gone after this season?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

He traded Jett Bandy (-0.9 WAR so far with Milwaukee) for Martin Maldonado (2.4 WAR with the Angels), who in turn was traded for a nice LHP SP prospect in Patrick Sandoval who just threw 4.2 IP 3 H 0 ER 2 BB 9 K in his first start at Inland Empire

He traded two scrub minor leaguers for Ian Kinsler (2.5 WAR) and then flipped them for two young relief pitchers with options and 6 years of control, both of whom have high K/9 rates

Albert Pujols wasn't his and there is really nothing he can do about it.

He traded Sean Newcomb (3.2 WAR since trade) for Andrelton Simmons, the best defensive shortstop in the game who has provided a 15.8 WAR in 2 1/2 seasons

He signed Kole Calhoun to a 3 year extension which, at 3/$26 mil,  was good at the time and is still not prohibitive despite his offensive struggles this year.  

Trout was under contract when he got here.

Traded prospect Grayson Long, who hasn't had a start in 2018 so far, and Elvin Rodriguez, who is still in A ball, for Justin Upton who has put up 3.0 WAR in 133 games in a Angels uniform

He convinced Shohei Ohtani, the most coveted international prospect in baseball last offseason, to come to Angels for less money offered by Dipoto's M's.

He signed Cozart to a 3 year deal that looks "meh" right now but we'll see.  Still, not a long term commitment while the prospects are developing.

Chris Young was a 1 year deal

As for pitching, he started out Richards, Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, Tropeano, JC Ramirez, Matt Shoemaker, Parker Bridwell, and Jamie Barria as starting pitching depth...9 guys that had a reasonable chance at not sucking every 6th day...now he's down to four of those guys due to injury.

The BP was less certain at the beginning of the season, made even more so by the injuries to Middleton and Wood.  All I know is he could have signed Holland, Davis, or some other high priced talent that has underperformed this season and he would still would have gotten crap.  Even a solid performer like Morrow is on the DL right now.

The moves he's made have been productive despite what he's had to work with...

Completely agree.  Its like spending boat loads of money on the infrastructure instead of on the finishes.  This organization was in desperate need of an infrastructure rebuild.  I find it interesting that we could potentially be watching the passing of the proverbial torch from Scioscia to Eppler.  Regardless of how I feel about about Scioscia today, his impact on the organization has been enormous.  

9 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

They'll announce they're parting ways with him the day after the season ends. 

Don't think he'll full on retire, but I could see him moving into a more part time advisory type role. Guy has been in professional baseball for 40 years straight, immediately after his playing career he began coaching. Probably time for a break

I think MS will announce he is not returning when they are mathematically eliminated. JMO 

12 minutes ago, Lou said:

The only player that is on the current roster that has me completely baffled is Valbuena.

• In his last 61 AB he is hitting .115 with 28 K and an OPS of .385
  • In his last 153 AB he is hitting .157 with 65 K
  • He is also not good defensively.

He has no business being on the roster any longer. 

I guess Scioscia is to blame 

57 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

The fact is that the organizational "model" has been passed down from Scioscia during his reign. He has shaped the design of the players HE has wanted down through the minors and the coaching there, so that the players he eventually gets sent are ready to play his style of baseball.

There are some solid players around the majors who started out in the Angels org and went on to play with other teams, for whatever reason. That there aren't more reflects on the scouting and the drafting decisions made while Scioscia was King. Just the fact that ownership decided he should get a 10 year contract shows the absurd amount of influence he has had top to bottom.

It's time for a more enlightened regime to take over.

This is such bullshit.  We all know that Scioscia likes aggressive style of baseball, with good base runners and guys who can play small ball and guys who can take the extra base and hit the other way.  Please let me know the last time one of those guys came up through our system.  Open your damn eyes and stop with this nonsense.  Who are these solid players that left and had success?  Grichuk and Segura?  Guys that Dipoto traded, are you now going to pretend that Dipoto was acting on Scioscia’s wishes, when the two had a power struggle.  I am sure Scioscia loved him some Freese, someone who was limited defensively, and couldn’t run to save his life.  Oh and they traded a guy that could run all day for him and that guy also played an amazing CF.  Cron?  He was traded for two reasons, Albert and Ohtani and not in that order.  He certainly isn’t a Scioscia type of player, even though his best WAR was still in 2016 in 116 games.  If you think this team has been modeled after a Scioscia style then I simply don’t really know what to say.  

Angels have been a disappointingly average team for too long.  Simpler to adjust the guidance/direction than replace the roster.  Some things are given, Trout is the best, Simmons is a stud, Pujols is a fixture (literally), Upton/Calhoun have disappointed but showing positive signs, and the really unfortunate TJ epidemic. 

Rather than the same old gang struggling to stay above 500 in 2019, consider some alternatives.  Mix in some kids and/or young FAs, try new lineup/personnel strategies, trade to get more athletic, perhaps even find an antidote for the TJ bug.  Scioscia has tried some adjustments, but it seems time for a change in leadership.  Mr Eppler is approaching his third of four years and an accurate assessment of his reign should include his own manager selection.  And, proposed golden rule #1 for a new administration (if there is one), never ever leave Pujols as lead "runner" late in a tight game.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Here’s a secret....

The root of all the Angels problems is they ignored the farm system from about 2010-2015. That’s resulted in them being unable to produce any young players who were good enough to be everyday major leaguers. So they kept recycling 30+ year old major leaguers on the decline. 

Its not Scioscia. It’s the personnel. You shouldn’t need me to tell you this. 

Exactly.

Whats weird is how much that differed from the previous decade. I get that arte wanted to win now. Especially after pujols. But aside from the poor drafting, we all but disappeared from the international scene.

Hasegawa. Kendrys. Aybar. Callaspo. Santana. Ortiz. Etc etc. We were a little ahead of the curve back in the day as far as international scouting (with some other teams as well). We were a prospect factory that in 15 years rolled out salmon, ga, glaus, percy, erstad, howie, aybar, morales, napoli, lackey etc etc etc up to trout and trumbo.

Then we just forgot how. And have paid the price ever since.

Sosh has his warts. So does arte. So does eppler. But the state of the team the last few years falls 100 percent on blowing the drafts after the 2009 team was dismantled. 

Ten years ago, the angels were a different team than today. Same manager.

The difference being, we had vald. We had torii. And GA. And tex for the second half. Aybar. Howie. Napoli. Figgins. That roster was insane. No pitchers with tommy john.

Even if GA was old, and vlad wasnt the same, they were still very good hitters. Compare that to todays roster, or the last few years.

We can say sosh wasnt as good as advertised, because he was blessed with a good roster. But then you have to admit hes not to blame for this current mess.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

The only player that is on the current roster that has me completely baffled is Valbuena.

• In his last 61 AB he is hitting .115 with 28 K and an OPS of .385
  • In his last 153 AB he is hitting .157 with 65 K
  • He is also not good defensively.

He has no business being on the roster any longer. 

But Scioscia likes him. so he remains.

Either neither will be back next year, or both will be back.

I say about 8 to 1 odds that neither are back

8 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Scioscia needs to go. This season would have been a lot different if Upton was hitting in front of Trout this entire time.

Meh. Maybe. But it wouldnt change what would happen after the inevitable trout walk.

And wed still have lost middleton, richards and ohtani. That alone was the desth keel.

9 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Meh. Maybe. But it wouldnt change what would happen after the inevitable trout walk.

And wed still have lost middleton, richards and ohtani. That alone was the desth keel.

Is desth keel latin for death kneel, LOL? 

I guess I’m one of the few that voted no... when I voted I thought I might be the only one.

I like Sosh. I think the rosters he’s had lately have been crap and 2014 the players did not perform in the post season.

I’m trying to think who would guarantee anything better with this roster/expected 2019 roster and I don’t have a good answer. Names being thrown around like Ausmus and Paul don’t give me a chub.

Back to the main subject, I think the next manager of the Angels will be Albert Pujols.  A lot of you will be real shocked by this, but think of it as fixing two problems with one move.  Hopefully his player contract can be restructured to the liking of the commissioner, and it will be an easy transition for him.  Personally I like the idea instead of taking on another retread manager from some other failure.

Albert is an intense guy, the players would respond well to him.  It might push Mike Trout to a new contract.  His after game analysis wouldn't be very understandable, but that's not important to anyone but fans anyway.  In his prime, he's been a winner, and knows what it takes.