• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Red Sox get Ian Kinsler

Chuck

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Two very good relief prospects and a southpaw prospect for Maldonado and Kinsler. 

Eppler is a genius. Great F'n trades. 

So Boston has a poor farm these days, these guys were their 19th and 23rd ranked prospects, so are they ranked that low because relief pitchers are undervalued when doing prospect lists? 

well Kinsler has a rep for good D -- and we are up among the team leaders in DPs this season - I attribute that to Simmons.

Kinsler's been OK -- I expected more I guess -- and -- perhaps - I just happened to see the game(s) where he booted the ball.

good pick up for Boston. Late inning defense, can pinch hit (especially in sac bunt situations) pinch run, vet presence.

and we get two pen depth guys who will probably get a look in September and then again in March in Tempe.

4 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

If those two relievers are good and ready to step in, then it's a good trade.

But Cowart had better start producing and soon.

Dude this season is over. These moves aren't made with this year in mind.Cowart's simply a placeholder since he's on the 40-man roster. He has no real future here with other younger players performing better than him and deserving their chance(Fletcher is already up and Rengifo looks MLB ready)

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Obtaining two guys with options and 6 years of control means they can more easily move their own controllable guys..  So, doubly good move.

This.  These guys have good K rates and have options.  This year, we had a lot of relievers without options, so we didn't really have much flexibility.  Eppler traded a guy who was gone in 2 months anyway for two relievers with potential and options.  Just an excellent move, well done Eppler!

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So Boston has a poor farm these days, these guys were their 19th and 23rd ranked prospects, so are they ranked that low because relief pitchers are undervalued when doing prospect lists? 

Maybe so yes, but I am less interested in their rankings and more interested in their utility.  It is unlikely we are getting shutdown relievers here, but we are getting useful arms (high K rates) that can be shuttled back and forth and provide further bullpen depth for us.  That'll be helpful to our 2019 team for sure.  A solid move on the whole, all things considered.

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Not sure you can get much for a 36 year old soon to be free agent second baseman who isn't hitting much

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yeah, RP prospects rarely make it into a team's top 10, let alone their top 20. 

These guys strikeout rates are really good in Triple-A. Really good to see at the last level in the minors. 

blood brother reports we sent 1.8 million bucks to Boston

all of a sudden - the deal not as good as it was...........oh well.

I thought we got two serviceable / club control arms / who might or might not be able to make the roster next year PLUS salary savings on Kinsler ---oh well.

Just now, Warfarin said:

With Kinsler traded, I'd like to see Fletcher shifted to 2B.  Hopefully we can go ahead and DFA Valbuena, and in turn, give playing time to Ward.

Yeah... I think they're going to give the first crack to Cowart though since he was pulled in the first inning today. 

Though I'd like to see Cowart as our utility guy... release Valbuena and Marte, call up Ward and Fernandez. 

1 minute ago, disarcina said:

I thought we got two serviceable / club control arms / who might or might not be able to make the roster next year PLUS salary savings on Kinsler ---oh well.

Salary savings is moot.  We are well below the cap, it is of no concern.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Maybe so yes, but I am less interested in their rankings and more interested in their utility.  It is unlikely we are getting shutdown relievers here, but we are getting useful arms (high K rates) that can be shuttled back and forth and provide further bullpen depth for us.  That'll be helpful to our 2019 team for sure.  A solid move on the whole, all things considered.

This is the key to me as well. It’s more names to slot into the Paredes/Morris/McGuire tier, hopefully with better production.

Also gives up depth to deal a reliever or two, and opens playing time up for Ward, Rengifo, JMF come September. Cowart will get first dibs.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah... I think they're going to give the first crack to Cowart though since he was pulled in the first inning today. 

Though I'd like to see Cowart as our utility guy... release Valbuena and Marte, call up Ward and Fernandez. 

Yeah, the immediate move is Cowart to fill the spot.  This should pave the way down the line, perhaps in September, to see Ward get some reps at 3B though, I imagine.

Certainly I'm interested in seeing Fletcher field 2B.  I like what he's brought to the table, but I don't think he really profiles as a 3B.

Let's begin the youth movement!

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They got the sort of assets they are sorely lacking and a combined 12 years of control.   I've often gone on record that one of the glaring weaknesses of the system is the lack of failed starters successfully transitioning into RP...   That's exactly what they have added in exchange for an expiring contract.   It's not sexy but it's got a really great chance to provide near instant value.

I'd be a fan of the trade even if it was for nothing, just to get some chances to the farm. 

That out of the way, K rates are good, but both walk too many guys and have blah WHIPs and are 25 and 26 years old. Sometimes relievers take a bit based on conversion to relief as failed starters, so doesn't mean they can't be good. But until we see that improvement, what part of lots of reliever walks and men on base are we stoked about? 

I hope I'm missing something, and again am glad to give our MI prospects a shot. Please just help me understand the optimism for the prospects received. Thanks! 

5 minutes ago, disarcina said:

If the 1.8 mil made the difference between getting one of these guys or both then it was money well spent.  Kinsler was a sunk cost.

2 minutes ago, 101halo said:

I'd be a fan of the trade even if it was for nothing, just to get some chances to the farm. 

That out of the way, K rates are good, but both walk too many guys and have blah WHIPs and are 25 and 26 years old. Sometimes relievers take a bit based on conversion to relief as failed starters, so doesn't mean they can't be good. But until we see that improvement, what part of lots of reliever walks and men on base are we stoked about? 

I hope I'm missing something, and again am glad to give our MI prospects a shot. Please just help me understand the optimism for the prospects received. Thanks! 

We need relievers man, and ones with options, too.  I don't think anyone thinks these guys will be elite relievers, but they look like upgrades over a lot of the guys we have trotted out there this year.  Having options is huge, because it enables a lot of roster flexibility.

ANGELS ACQUIRE LHP WILLIAMS JEREZ AND RHP TY BUTTREY FROM BOSTON

Halos send INF Ian Kinsler to Red Sox

ANAHEIM – The Angels today acquired LHP Williams Jerez and RHP Ty Buttrey from Boston in exchange for INF Ian Kinsler. Today’s announcement was made by Angels General Manager Billy Eppler.

Jerez, 26, has appeared in 33 games for Triple-A Pawtucket, going 2-1 with five saves and a 3.68 ERA (51.1 IP – 21 ER) and 67 strikeouts. He ranks fifth in the International League with an 11.75 strikeouts per nine innings ratio and is ranked byMLB.com as the #23 prospect in the Red Sox system. A native of Santiago, Dominican Republic, Jerez was originally selected by the Red Sox in the second round of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft out of Grand Street Campus HS (Brooklyn, NY). He was selected as a MiLB.com Organization All-Star in 2015 and was named to the Eastern League Mid-Season All-Star teams in 2016 and 2017. In five minor league seasons, Jerez has pitched to a 14-14 record and 3.39 ERA (302.2 IP – 114 ER) across 166 games (all in relief) in the Boston system.

Buttery, 25, has pitched to a 1-1 record with one save and a 2.25 ERA (44 IP – 11 ER) in 32 games for Pawtucket. He has recorded 64 strikeouts, while walking 14 on the season and his 13.09 strikeouts per nine innings rate ranks as second best among International League relievers. He was named by Baseball America as having the best changeup in the Red Sox system entering 2018 and is rated as the #19 prospect in the Boston organization by MLB.com. The Matthews, NC native was selected by Boston in the fourth round of the 2012 First-Year Player Draft out of Providence HS (Charlotte, NC). In seven minor league seasons, he has gone 17-33 with a 3.97 ERA (453 IP – 200 ER), five saves and 389 strikeouts.

Kinsler, 36, has appeared in 91 games for the Angels this season, batting .239 (85/355) with 20 doubles, 13 home runs and 32 RBI. Kinsler was acquired by the Halos from Detroit on Dec. 13, 2017. The 13-year Major League vet owns a .272 (1,911/7,033) lifetime average with 398 doubles, 41 triples, 247 home runs and 871 home runs across 1,764 career games with the Rangers, Tigers and Angels.