• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Red Sox get Ian Kinsler

Chuck

Soooo we essentially traded Troy Montgomery and Wilkel Hernandez for a 2018 lottery ticket, Ty Buttrey and Williams Jerez.

Montgomery has looked fine in single A (fine speed-bat combo which lacks any kind of power bat), which earned him a promotion to double A this year where he has struggled. Hernandez meanwhile has been shelled all year in low A. Buttrey and Jerez both seem ready to become pen pieces in 2019, after a year in which the Angels have struggled to keep a bullpen together.

Not a bad sounding couple of moves, imo.

18 minutes ago, krAbs said:

Soooo we essentially traded Troy Montgomery and Wilkel Hernandez for a 2018 lottery ticket, Ty Buttrey and Williams Jerez.

Montgomery has looked fine in single A (fine speed-bat combo which lacks any kind of power bat), which earned him a promotion to double A this year where he has struggled. Hernandez meanwhile has been shelled all year in low A. Buttrey and Jerez both seem ready to become pen pieces in 2019, after a year in which the Angels have struggled to keep a bullpen together.

Not a bad sounding couple of moves, imo.

Montgomery actually got demoted.   

Just now, Dochalo said:

Montgomery actually got demoted.   

Oh shit- I assumed he got moved up. I just glanced at his line on baseball reference. Well then - two boarderline mlb ready relievers for minor league depth. I'll take that.

By the way, while I struggle to get excited for a trade that nets us two middle relief guys that are 25 and 26 years old, I am fine with the deal.  If these guys come up and are effective they immediately have more value on the market than Kinsler.

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

By the way, while I struggle to get excited for a trade that nets us two middle relief guys that are 25 and 26 years old, I am fine with the deal.  If these guys come up and are effective they immediately have more value on the market than Kinsler.

I like the fact that Eppler got TWO of these guys. Increases the chance that one of them works out.

I would have loved a higher value prospect, but one of the team's biggest needs going into 2019 is bullpen help. Eppler is addressing that already.

Plus, it further makes our relievers expendable should a team come calling. 

7 minutes ago, Farmbuildingfan said:

2nd trade was more against the grain, two prospects for an even older guy..

No it really wasn’t.  It is your perception, which has been pointed out frequently that hasn’t been the reality for a few years.  Also when was the last time we had a tradeble piece that was in the last year of his contract?  I am positive we have had one, but I don’t remember who.  

lcmsbZVq_bigger.jpgPeter GammonsVerified account @pgammo
FollowFollow @pgammo
More

The irony of Ian Kinsler coming to Boston--considering he left Arizona State when Dustin Pedroia arrived and took is position--is remarkable, but he is a key addition. But, on Ty Buttrey--"There's been more buzz on him in the lthan any other triple-A reliever," says NL scout.

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No it really wasn’t.  It is your perception, which has been pointed out frequently that hasn’t been the reality for a few years.  Also when was the last time we had a tradeble piece that was in the last year of his contract?  I am positive we have had one, but I don’t remember who.  

Scott Downs.

I remember the outrage when they "only" got cory rasmus out of him

9 minutes ago, 2020worldseries said:
FollowFollow @pgammo
More

The irony of Ian Kinsler coming to Boston--considering he left Arizona State when Dustin Pedroia arrived and took is position--is remarkable, but he is a key addition. But, on Ty Buttrey--"There's been more buzz on him in the lthan any other triple-A reliever," says NL scout.

@EnglishCop ?

22 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Scott Downs.

I remember the outrage when they "only" got cory rasmus out of him

That was actually one of the few times I lost my shit over something trivial.   I wasn't as annoyed with the return as much of the timing of the trade.  Regardless, it was a stupid position on my part.

28 minutes ago, 2020worldseries said:
FollowFollow @pgammo
More

I think Gammons had a stroke mid-Tweet. 

Anyone remember the trade deadline when Chuck Finley was going to enter free agency? We were out of it , as usual. Finley became known as "the yankee killer." Indians knew they had Yankees in the playoffs and a trade for Finley looked like a guarantee. They couldn't get the deal done. We got nothing. Indians got shelled and then signed Finley as a FA. 

Strange how small things stick in one's memory.