• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

One Writer Predicts Scioscia Wont Last The Season

Homebrewer

On 12/31/2017 at 2:11 PM, Troll Daddy said:

Players love Sosh ... Upton loves playing for him and was a big part of Kinsler coming here. 

Better chance of Sosh getting a extension than being fired. 

If you don’t believe me then do your own research. 

RESEARCH whether Scioscia gets fired or re-hired? Where does one go to actually RESEARCH that? The grocery check-out line?

1 hour ago, Throwman91 said:

Give me one good reason why Scioscia should continue managing next season if they start the season under.500 in the first month? 

Because it's a marathon, not a sprint.

because you don't win the division in April.

wait, that's two reasons. Hope that's okay.

Give me one good reason why Scioscia should continue managing next season if they start the season under.500 in the first month? 

1.  Because three starting pitchers get injured in Spring Training and can't pitch in April.

Bob, I think you are going down the wrong path with this one.  I found that everything Scioscia, and the rest of Angels organization did in the circumstances of his Adenhart's death was quite exemplary.  Actually their handling of the entire incident was one of the organization's finest moments.  So my advice to you would be to climb off this one, or else follow Blarg's advice.  Short of that I'm sure we can find a path  for you to vent your frustrations on this matter elsewhere.

4 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Scioscia attended bob welch's funeral and the Angels won that game, to bad Scioscia yanked Adenhart prematurely the night he died.

I was at the Mariner's game, in Seattle, when Scioscia attended Nick's funeral. The Angels won. In the big picture, who gives a fuck who was managing the team that night. You have a screw loose, Bob.

Edited by Blarg

There are too many signs pointing to Scioscia being gone after this year no matter what.  The additions of Brad Ausmus and Josh Paul being the reasons, two capable managers just waiting in the wing.  Scioscia is the longest tenured franchise manager in sports besides Popvich of the Mavs, I don't think he wants to be on top of that list, especially if his managerial ways have been exploited for many seasons.  Yes, every manager in baseball knows how to counter Scioscia's decisions by now.  There are probably team specific sports books dedicated to him, not just a cheat sheet like most.  I am willing to wager they even have his sign language covered by this point. 

I disagree with this entire post.  The idea that somehow Josh Paul or Ausmus are “capable managers” and Scioscia isn’t is such a crock of shit.  It’s fan ignorance at best or more likely Scioscia hatred.  Ausmus had a pretty darn good team and got nothing out of them.  Josh Paul has never managed, so to say capable manager is silly.  I do think he will be a manager and I would say probably the next Angels manager, but to pretend their hiring is writing on the wall is just wishful thinking.  In the last few years we’ve had better managers in these roles with Bud Black and Ron Roenicke.  

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I disagree with this entire post.  The idea that somehow Josh Paul or Ausmus are “capable managers” and Scioscia isn’t is such a crock of shit.  It’s fan ignorance at best or more likely Scioscia hatred.  Ausmus had a pretty darn good team and got nothing out of them.  Josh Paul has never managed, so to say capable manager is silly.  I do think he will be a manager and I would say probably the next Angels manager, but to pretend their hiring is writing on the wall is just wishful thinking.  In the last few years we’ve had better managers in these roles with Bud Black and Ron Roenicke.  

But.. "common knowledge", bro.

I highly doubt the longer your tenure as a manager the more teams know how to counter your decisions. That's just a ridiculous statement. I'd rather have them try to counter a well thought out decision with decades experience behind it than a decision made by someone who has never managed an MLB team. 

2 hours ago, Throwman91 said:

There are too many signs pointing to Scioscia being gone after this year no matter what.  The additions of Brad Ausmus and Josh Paul being the reasons, two capable managers just waiting in the wing.  Scioscia is the longest tenured franchise manager in sports besides Popvich of the Mavs, I don't think he wants to be on top of that list, especially if his managerial ways have been exploited for many seasons.  Yes, every manager in baseball knows how to counter Scioscia's decisions by now.  There are probably team specific sports books dedicated to him, not just a cheat sheet like most.  I am willing to wager they even have his sign language covered by this point. 

I agree...I mean, how many times do we see teams bring in a right handed batter to face a left handed reliever Scioscia brings in...or worse...bring in a left handed reliever to face a left handed pinch hitter Scioscia deploys...it's almost like they have someone stealing signs and shit.

19 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

I noticed last season the Astros seemed to have every move countered perfectly as if they were reading his signs.  Even the Rangers as well, they seemed to never be out of a game no matter how big our lead was.  But also the Orioles and Blue Jays seemed to know what was coming, I may be paranoid but I think Scioscia is recycling signs and ex-Angels are relaying this information.

oh shit...you were being serious? my bad.

3 hours ago, Throwman91 said:

1 hour ago, zenmaster said:

I highly doubt the longer your tenure as a manager the more teams know how to counter your decisions. That's just a ridiculous statement. I'd rather have them try to counter a well thought out decision with decades experience behind it than a decision made by someone who has never managed an MLB team. 

I never viewed baseball as such a fast pace games where victories come from I. Game managerial tactics and counter tactics. 

31 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

I noticed last season the Astros seemed to have every move countered perfectly as if they were reading his signs.  Even the Rangers as well, they seemed to never be out of a game no matter how big our lead was.  But also the Orioles and Blue Jays seemed to know what was coming, I may be paranoid but I think Scioscia is recycling signs and ex-Angels are relaying this information.

What the hell are you watching??????

3 hours ago, Throwman91 said:

I have not always been a supporter of Scioscia, but even I can see his his managerial ability continues to improve in how he manages players.  I am coming to the conclusion that only Scioscia determines whether he manages next year.  Eppler seems too knowledgeable and insightful to be caught up in these types of discussions.

Now for some feedback to your post:

1.  The addition of Ausmus and Paul are not separate reasons for your argument.

2.  Popovich coaches the Spurs, not the Mavs.

3.  Countering coaching or managerial moves only creates opportunities for players to play the game.  Player execution with some degree of luck often determines success and failure.

4. I would be shocked if all teams did not have a "book" for every manager. Singling out Scioscia as being the only manager having a "book" and a reason for him "being gone" is illogical.

This is ridiculous. Scioscia has been nothing but a capable manager, the most capable manager this team has ever had. You may all pine for the greener grass, but I remember the Angels previous managers in the 1990's and they were never a good team in those years despite all the talent.

The last manager with an overall winning record for the Angels (besides interim manager - Joe Maddon was 27-24 in two stints) was Doug Radar in 1989-1991, who in parts of three seasons was an astounding 16 games over .500, or basically 84-78. Gene Mauch is also a winning manager, but was 22 games over .500 in 5 seasons. That averages out to basically 83-79. Every other manager in Angels history has either not managed a full season, or has a losing record. Scoscia is the only manager to record a 100 win season, the top 6 seasons in wins, and has an overall 87-75 average record.

Grass isn't always greener folks.

#[a] Manager Seasons G W L Win% PA PW PL LC WS Ref
1 Bill Rigney 19611969 1,332 625 707 .469   [7]
2 Lefty Phillips 1969–1971 447 222 225 .496   [8]
3 Del Rice 1972 155 75 80 .483   [9]
4 Bobby Winkles 19731974 236 109 127 .461   [10]
5 Whitey Herzog* 1974 4 2 2 .500   [11]
6 Dick Williams* 1974–1976 341 147 194 .431   [12]
7 Norm Sherry 1976–1977 147 76 71 .517   [13]
8 Dave Garcia 1977–1978 126 60 66 .476   [14]
9 Jim Fregosi 1978–1981 486 237 249 .487 4 1 3   [15]
10 Gene Mauch 1981–1982 225 122 103 .542 5 2 3   [16]
11 John McNamara 19831984 324 151 173 .466   [17]
Gene Mauch 19851987 486 257 229 .528 7 3 4   [16]
12 Cookie Rojas 1988 154 75 79 .487   [18]
13 Moose Stubing 1988 8 0 8 .000   [19]
14 Doug Rader 19891991 448 232 216 .517   [20]
15 Buck Rodgers 1991–1992 111 53 58 .477   [21]
16 Marcel Lachemann 1992 4 3 1 .750   [22]
17 John Wathan 1992 85 36 49 .423   [23]
Buck Rodgers 19931994 201 87 114 .432   [21]
Marcel Lachemann 1994–1996 320 160 170 .500 1 0 1   [22]
John McNamara 1996   10 8 .555   [17]
18 Joe Maddon 1996 22 8 14 .363   [24]
19 Terry Collins 19971999 457 220 237 .481   [25]
Joe Maddon 1999 29 19 10 .655   [24]
20 Mike Scioscia 2000–present 2,916 1,570 1,346 .538 48 21 27 2002, 2009 Manager of the Year Award [26]

All things considered, a manager who did a very solid job recently in 2014, 2015, and 2017 and has Scioscia's tenure is NOT being fired in season, unless a total mutiny takes place.   And that has two chances of happening (slim and none), with his solid rapport with the players.

Beyond 2018 could well be a different story, but leave it for then.   This team has a solid chance at post-season play (WC) in 2018.

When 2018 is in the books, Scioscia will be 6th all-time in games managed and wins with one team (behind Mack, McGraw, Cox, Alston, and Lasorda, all HOFers).

Scioscia, Terry Francona, and Joe Maddon all have nearly identical winning percentages, along with Jeff Bannister.  Among current or recent managers, only Dave Roberts (.600), Mike Matheny (0.560), and Joe Girardi (.554), have done better by winning percentage since Scioscia was hired. (Minimum 2 seasons).

Joe Torre also is nearly identical with Scioscia at .538.