• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

One Writer Predicts Scioscia Wont Last The Season

Homebrewer

9 hours ago, Throwman91 said:

Scioscia inherited a winning product, he then inherited an even better product from Arte's pocket book but couldn't win a ring with many ample opportunities, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014,. to name the best seasons.  Any manager on that list would have a decent shot at winning 100 games if they racked up as many seasons as Scioscia with the same owner support.

Inhereted a winning product.....what Baseball team was you watching in the 1990s?  The franchise was a mess before he was hired.

7 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

The Angels win 100 games  in 2008 , then win one postseason game against the Red Sox . Who gets beat by Joe Maddon's Rays. That was one more win then the Angel team that won 98 games, then laid an egg, zero postseason wins.

Bob, time for you to go outside and play with the three dimensional people for awhile.

youve reached a point where you're repeating the same nonsense time and time and time again.

8 hours ago, stormngt said:

Inhereted a winning product.....what Baseball team was you watching in the 1990s?  The franchise was a mess before he was hired.

Scioscia inherited the best farm system in baseball and then an owner who kept the team in the top 5 payroll in baseball starting in 2004.

He came at exactly the right time when the angels were an up and coming team and the rest of the AL west were on the decline.   And what do the angels have to show for it?  One stinking world series when they should have had 2 or 3 at least.  

4 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

K-Rod, Lackey, Spezio, Eckstein, and Adam Kennedy went full retard in the playoffs, they were nobodies before 2002 and became somebodies in the matter of a few playoff games.  That's inheriting a winning product if I've ever seen one.  

Uh, this statement would actually fly in the face of your arguments.

You see, if, as you say, those guys were "nobodies" until they came to the Angels, then it would have been Sosh who turned them into "somebodies" 

On 1/1/2018 at 9:46 PM, Dochalo said:

and also because there is mutual respect and maturity.  This isn't fantasy.  

Give me an instance when a major league manager was fired in May.  Ever.  

Wasn't Dave Garcia fired in May 1978 and Fregosi brought on board?

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

Scioscia inherited the best farm system in baseball and then an owner who kept the team in the top 5 payroll in baseball starting in 2004.

He came at exactly the right time when the angels were an up and coming team and the rest of the AL west were on the decline.   And what do the angels have to show for it?  One stinking world series when they should have had 2 or 3 at least.  

This is supposed to be satire right?  A play on reality and meant to make people laugh and not really to be considered an actual real opinion -- right?  Please say it is..

The Angels farm system that Bill Stoneman inherited was ranked 30th by BBA -- Baseball Prospectus wrote that the best thing that could be said about the system at the time was that it couldn't be ranked 31st.   BBA in speaking about the problems in the system pointed out it was the only farm system in MLB with only ONE player in his teenage years -- and that no other system had had that few since the advent of the draft.  They referred to the system as being almost "incestuous" thats verbatim -- not my being cute with words.  They claimed that many of the guys in the system were there solely as favors to people in the organization -- things were so monumentally awful that despite the MLB team having the talent it did, the organization was ranked dead last overall..   

Either some of you were too young to remember or you were still Dodger fans -- but prior to Bill Stoneman and MS getting here the Angels were a rudderless ship completely devoid of any semblance of a plan or organizational belief system..   That's the team that MS took over....    A team so awful that when the Angels didn't sign Steve freaking Trachsel the local press acted like they passed on RJ or something.  The dude had posted an ERA near 6.00 and lost 18 games the previous year and he was seen as a major get and a missed opportunity...

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

This thread has gone full retard.

There is definitely a new axis of stupid coming about.   Guess we have Ohtani to thank for the renewed interest and everything that comes with it.

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

They also had zero pitching at the MLB level in 2000, outside of Percy and Washburn.

If Arte had hired anyone besides Reagins after 2007, and had hired Eppler after 2011, things would already likely be significantly better now (post-season appearances after 2014).

7 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Wasn't Dave Garcia fired in May 1978 and Fregosi brought on board?

It was around that time.   But Garcia had lost the clubhouse and the team seemed rudderless.   Enter a guy in Fregosi who bled Halos colors.

Scioscia will never, eeever lose a clubhouse.  That is one of his biggest strengths.

16 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

Not really, of that team nobody really became anything after 2002 barring Eckstein on the Cards and perhaps Lackey and  Anderson.. It was a kind of flash in the pan good fortune that they and Scioscia had, kind of like the Astros last year, every single thing went their way.

Some nucleus was still there through 2005.   Granted the Vlad/Colon/Escobar/Guillen FA haul after 2003 helped significantly to keep the momentum going through the 2000s.  

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

They also had zero pitching at the MLB level in 2000, outside of Percy and Washburn; and clubhouse issues galore during the 1999 season.

Precisely why I mention the Trachsel situation.   They were so awful that THIS GUY https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/trachst01.shtml, was viewed as a big upgrade and the front office was ripped left and right for not trying to sign him.

8-18 with an ERA of 5.56 ...  

2 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

When did you become a fan?  After 2002?  There was talk of contracting the MLB and eliminating the Angels or the Twins in 2001.  Yea.....he inherited a winner!

1 hour ago, Throwman91 said:

I will give Scioscia credit, his small ball approach did throw a lot of teams off in 2002, especially the Twins who got waxed.  But that WS against the Giants could've easily gone the other way, it came down to one inning. But 2003 was dismal and almost the same core of players didn't impress which is my point, if Scioscia was so good why didn't they repeat or make the playoffs in the following year like most great teams do after making the WS?  We'll see if the Astros can carry that enormous momentum into next season, I'm sure fresh scouting reports will do them harm.

I guess the injuries of 2003 had nothing to do with it!

Not really, of that team nobody really became anything after 2002 barring Eckstein on the Cards and perhaps Lackey and  Anderson.. It was a kind of flash in the pan good fortune that they and Scioscia had, kind of like the Astros last year, every single thing went their way.

Krod and Shields really sucked!  

K-Rod, Lackey, Spezio, Eckstein, and Adam Kennedy went full retard in the playoffs, they were nobodies before 2002 and became somebodies in the matter of a few playoff games.  That's inheriting a winning product if I've ever seen one.  

LOL.

Lackey and Krod were rookies in '02, called up during the season because they were ready to be promoted and the team needed them. 

I don't think you know what "inheriting a winning product" means.

9 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

You lack critical thinking skill, you should brush up before embarrassing yourself, read a book or something

Hahaha.  Hahaha.  I read your stuff and the first thing I think of "the rest of us lack critical thinking skills".  

When I look at the people that share the same opinion as I do and those are people I respect on here, I usually assume I am probably not bat shit crazy with my opinion.  When the exact opposite opinion are shared by blowhards, I feel even more confident I am in the right.  Good luck eating paste.

3 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

Do you think I care about trivial respect on a digital forum? I am here to share my opinion and would rather have freedom of expression than fear of differing opinions because my 'buddies' couldn't handle it.  You are trapped and can't get out, I am free to do as I please and express whatever I want as long as I don't curse or disparage others.

If you didn't you wouldn't be here clamoring away.  You can ask anyone on here, I am certainly not afraid to stick to my own opinion on things.  

29 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

I and a few others have our backs against the wall because we think Scioscia should be held to a higher standard.  He should be, he has been responsible for arguably over-managing somewhat unstoppable teams from attaining their goals. (WS rings')  I think his punishment should be a release from managerial duties, he can lull around in the front office all he wants but I think a new manager would do this franchise well.

This is something to discuss.    While Scioscia has been rock solid at keeping a clubhouse together, had a strong regular season run in the 2000s, and led some teams to better records than they should have had this decade (like 2011, 2014, 2015, and 2017), he has in the past seemingly over managed in the post-season.    That might partly explain the meh post-season record after 2002 (10-22).