• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto destroyed this organization

Traded Mark Trumbo, Randal Grichuk, Jean Segura, and Tyler Chatwood for jack shit.  We literally have nothing to show for these trades.  All 4 have done extremely well and are tearing it up for other teams, if we still had them we would be an up and coming team instead of a team that is 5 years away.

Jean Segura AVG .350 HR 5 RBI 17 OPS .912  (traded for greinke)

Angels combined 2B AVG .208 HR 2 RBI 10 OPS .561

Mark Trumbo AVG .323 HR 11 RBI 27 OPS .961 (traded for gas can santiago, and tommy john skaggs)

Randal Grichuk AVG .200 HR 5 RBI 18 OPS .683  (traded for freese and salas LOL!, both of which would haveprobably been non tendered)

Angels combined LF  AVG .212 HR 0 RBI 7 OPS .526

Tyler Chatwood W 4 L 3 ERA 3.09 K 30 (traded for sorry ass ianetta)

No wonder Dipoto jumped ship, his trades were as horrible as his drafts.  No idea what Arte wanted him for, hopefully he destroys the mariners organization as well.

Edited by JarsOfClay

Really, we can only pretty much put Mr. Pop-Up Wells, Ghost Pujols, and Hackilton at the feet of Arte Moreno.

Granted, that is some pretty bad results alone.

Hackilton is likely the one that soured Moreno on spending money, at least for now.   From a "no more bad contracts" standpoint, that's good.   Got to hope though that it doesn't discourage him from any good signings either. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

I don't really blame Dipoto for the Grienke trade. The Angels were right in it towards the last few days of the season if I recall. The problem is Haren and Santana didn't show up that season and we had to take a chance if we wanted to make the playoffs. Especially after the signing of Pujols that season, you have to pull the trigger on at in my opinion. 

Edited by Kevin

I like Dipoto, and he had some sound reasoning behind the moves he made, but it's hard to argue against the theory that he destroyed this organization.  Smart guy, just made some bad moves that crippled this system.  I still can't believe Ric Wilson still has a job after the drafts he's had under Reagins, Dipoto and now Eppler.  I'm not saying they're Ric's fault, but typically if a scouting director has this many bad drafts in a row, he'd have been replaced. 

4 minutes ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

I like Dipoto, and he had some sound reasoning behind the moves he made, but it's hard to argue against the theory that he destroyed this organization.  Smart guy, just made some bad moves that crippled this system.  I still can't believe Ric Wilson still has a job after the drafts he's had under Reagins, Dipoto and now Eppler.  I'm not saying they're Ric's fault, but typically if a scouting director has this many bad drafts in a row, he'd have been replaced. 

Dipoto did a great job imo. Ric Wilson though. The fuck has this guy accomplished?

Edited by Poozy

Dipoto did the job that he was hired to do.  I wouldn't say he did a bad job.  But he definitely was constrained with Arte's splashes. 

Poozy brings up a good point with Ric Wilson though.  Ever since Reagins fired Bane, the minors have just not been up to par.  Also remember, that when Dipoto took the helm, the minors were already in bad shape.  He actually improved the minors depth wise, especially in the pitching department. 

Circumstances on the Angels also made most of his trades within reason.  So I really have no issues with Dipito, and would have liked to see what he would have done with a fair shot. 

2 hours ago, Jobu said:

Hector Santiago and Tyler Skaggs = jack shit, apparently. 

Read an article on that trade -- that was Kevin Towers' baby, JeDi answered the phone.    If you need to see what a JeDi, engineered Trumbo trade looks like minus Kevin Towers.... look no further than last offseason.  JeDi had to package Trumbo with a RP to get Steve Clevenger.   Having said that, Jerry still deserves credit and I'm mostly being a wise ass.  Jerry put him out there, he let the world know he was willing to move RH power at a time when RH power was in short supply around MLB.  Angel fans probably give him too much praise for that trade but IMO he catches too much hate for the Segura trade at the same time.  

I didn't like a lot of his trades but I'll give him a ton of credit for having earned a reputation as a GM that was willing to make deals happens.   Making trades wasn't a Jerry weakness and IMO anyone that trades as much as JeDi does will get burned and as that first Trumbo deal proved, he will run into some huge wins too... 

1 hour ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

I still can't believe Ric Wilson still has a job after the drafts he's had under Reagins, Dipoto and now Eppler.  I'm not saying they're Ric's fault, but typically if a scouting director has this many bad drafts in a row, he'd have been replaced. 

When did Wilson run a draft under Eppler?   I'm not judging Wilson solely because I don't believe he was the guy who authored high floor high ceiling with a focus on arms.   We know who that was, what we don't know if the financial limits placed on him factored into the decision.

56 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

I think Dipoto's job as GM was a mixed bag. He made some good moves and he made some bad ones.

The notion that he ruined the Angels is nonsense. There were problems long before Dipoto came here.

Agreed -- JeDi's tenure in Anaheim gets an incomplete in my book.   We never saw his true vision in large part because he never had his own manager.   I can't stomach the pedestal some Angels fans have put JeDi on but there is no denying he had to work with one hand tied behind his back his entire time in Anaheim.  That's not a vote for JeDi over MS, it just never should have been an issue.  JeDi should have been allowed to pick his own manager even if the Angels had been coming off a WS ring the previous year.  I wouldn't have argued that then but having lived through the debacle I believe it to be true.   

Bill Stoneman ruined the Angels.  He got old and retired.   He seemingly was the last person in power that had the nads to tell Arte Moreno to go pound sand and in retrospect it seems telling Arte to stay out of the kitchen is the only way shit gets done right.

Edited by Inside Pitch