• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2015-2016 Hot Stove Thread

SoWhat

After trading away their top 2 prospects...both of whom are pitchers, and with Weaver and CJ becoming FA's after this season, I think the Angels are going to sign one of the big FA starters. Taking a look at next year's FA market and SP is pretty rough so they need to address it this offseason with such a deep market

After trading away their top 2 prospects...both of whom are pitchers, and with Weaver and CJ becoming FA's after this season, I think the Angels are going to sign one of the big FA starters. Taking a look at next year's FA market and SP is pretty rough so they need to address it this offseason with such a deep market

Leake and his 50%+ ground-ball rate would be more attractive now with Simmons in the fold. 

Would give us a righty too, help balance out the rotation, and wouldn't be exorbitant. Plus he's fairly young.

Leake and his 50%+ ground-ball rate would be more attractive now with Simmons in the fold. 

Would give us a righty too, help balance out the rotation, and wouldn't be exorbitant. Plus he's fairly young.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/2015-16-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html#more-58933

Predicted 5 years/$80 million.  Looking at his stats, he's about a #3 type pitcher.  But he's 28, and help solidify a very young starting pitching staff.  

I think it would be a good addition, but a #1 pitcher would also be a good addition.  

A reliable, durable, young, GB-inducing #3 at $16m/yr may give them more flexibility for offense though. Arte is wacky enough I believe he could buy a #1 and a big-name OFer, but if he did that I can see him skimping on pen and bench. I'd rather get a big bat, a good SPer, and some good buys for pen and bench. Would be a little more rounded, and way less riskier.

It can definitely be argued that this rotation doesn't have that lockdown, dominant #1, but I think it is just as easy to argue that this rotation also doesn't have a single pitcher you know will throw 180-200 innings of 3.50-3.75 ball.

Yes, you'd hope that from most of these arms, and it's reasonable that all of them could achieve that, but having one steady presence would be nice.

Garrett we hope will exceed those expectations, we almost need him too.

Hector struggled to 180 IP last year, Weaver would be a miracle, Skaggs unlikely given TJ, Shoemaker couldn't make it to 150 last year and seems to be at injury risk. CJ actually could fall into this range, but I don't think anyone here expects it.

That extra 25-50 IP someone like Leake could provide would be huge.

Edited by totdprods

Like us, the Rangers have question marks on their staff for 2016, and they have a guy who could move into 3B now.

The salaries are similar for 2016 for Beltre and Wilson.

Granted, as mentioned above, some staff issues for the Halos for 2016 might make Wilson more attractive to stay here, given how well he pitched for each the previous two seasons after surgery on the bone spurs in the elbow. 

Beltre is without question the most respected player in that clubhouse.  They're not trading him for C.J. Effin' Wilson who they had their fill of long ago.  

Besides the Rangers already have three lefties in their rotation.  They'd have to move either Perez or Holland.  Trading Holland could happen, I suppose, but it won't be to add ol' Nibs.   

Of all the visiting players I've seen at Angels Stadium, Beltre is perhaps my favorite guy.  He's like non-stop entertainment, and you get the feeling that he enjoys every minute of each game.  Yeah, it is too bad that Beltre and Aybar couldn't team up.  It should have happened when Beltre was a free agent, but Reagins wouldn't cough up a little more to get him.  Using hindsight, that was a big miss.

Edited by tomsred

Source: Rich Hill agrees to terms with Oakland. One-year deal for $6 million, pending physical.

For those unaware, Hill posted 1.1 WAR and had a 1.55 ERA and a 2.27 FIP in 29 innings in his late season stint with Boston. Pretty nice low risk signing to see if that stretch was legit or not.