• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2015-2016 Hot Stove Thread

SoWhat

Pablo "Panda" Sandoval is exactly the kind of player we need to stay away from.

Older (turns 30 this year) and in terrible physical shape, and getting worse each year.

Even in his last season in SF he had a very mediocre season, spent time injured, and then picked it up when he was motivated...the post season.

Boston was stupid enough to buy into this guy for big money, and anyone who watched the Giants knew it was laughable...and there was no surprise with his terrible season last year.

The spiral he is on will only accelerate... downward.

No. 

Lots of better ways to spend money.

What about John Jaso 1 yr 3-5M, to backup Carlos. Its obviously not the first choice and it just shows you that not everyone likes or succeeds there but what about making a trade for Pablo Sandoval in Boston. He had an abysmal season but he isn't that old and If Boston kicked in 10-20m to make it closer too an AAV of 15M, it could be interesting. Bostons needs might not match up with ours, but for someone like Pablo, it might be more about the money then getting prospects back. He still needs to lose 20 pounds and get his head out of his (a)ssentials but dude can rake still IMO. The only downside to a player like Pablo is that he has rings and now the money to boot.

I like the Jaso idea... he can backup at catcher, outfield, first base and DH. Mix in Ben Zobrist and Scioscia would be in heaven writing out the lineup card.

I like the Jaso idea... he can backup at catcher, outfield, first base and DH. Mix in Ben Zobrist and Scioscia would be in heaven writing out the lineup card.

Apparently he can't play catcher at all anymore (if you believe this thread) so in that case I'd be against it. But if he could play catcher he would make a nice 3rd string and insurance for Bandy.

Neil Walker, Brandon Phillips, Jurickson Profar, Scooter Gennett and Martin Prado all seem like guys who may be available. 

Highly doubt Profar gets traded any time soon.  Considering he still hasn't played in the field yet any team trading for him would be assuming a massive risk.  Likewise from the Rangers' standpoint they would be selling while his value is low.   

Highly doubt Profar gets traded any time soon.  Considering he still hasn't played in the field yet any team trading for him would be assuming a massive risk.  Likewise from the Rangers' standpoint they would be selling while his value is low.   

Yeah unlikely he's traded now. Possibly next offseason but even then, they could still keep him around for 3B once Beltre is done. 

Highly doubt Profar gets traded any time soon. Considering he still hasn't played in the field yet any team trading for him would be assuming a massive risk. Likewise from the Rangers' standpoint they would be selling while his value is low.

I think the rangers would be happy to get anything for profar at this point

I'm still high on Aoki, at least for the short term, to be our LF/leadoff. This is a guy who consistently hits in the .280's, and his lowest OBP is .349. Yeah he's 33, and doesn't bring a lot of pop, but if we save money by signing him, we could look to spend money on a Chris Davis type.

I'm high on Aoki too, but now with the Simmons deal, I think it makes more sense to lock up the lineup with young guys moving forward. Although prior to the trade I wanted Aoki more than Heyward,  I think Heyward is a must now because the game plan has changed to win within the next 5 years. If we got Aoki on a 2 year deal as our primary LF, we are back in the FA market with a hole and a need to spend in 2018. That or await a come up from the farm (which obviously won't happen). However, Aoki is a really attractive option and I would pick him up for depth, as a bench bat (doesn't have to be a power hitter), or to platoon with Cron in case we see 2015 first-half Cron. He can also DH while Cron covers for Pujols to start the season. That OBP...

I'm high on Aoki too, but now with the Simmons deal, I think it makes more sense to lock up the lineup with young guys moving forward. Although prior to the trade I wanted Aoki more than Heyward,  I think Heyward is a must now because the game plan has changed to win within the next 5 years. If we got Aoki on a 2 year deal as our primary LF, we are back in the FA market with a hole and a need to spend in 2018. That or await a come up from the farm (which obviously won't happen). However, Aoki is a really attractive option and I would pick him up for depth, as a bench bat (doesn't have to be a power hitter), or to platoon with Cron in case we see 2015 first-half Cron. He can also DH while Cron covers for Pujols to start the season. That OBP...

I'm not sure you want to label Heywerd a must have, the competition is going to be fierce for him.  It a recipe for a severe over payment.  It's okay to try, but we better have a Plan B & C ready in case.

I'm not sure you want to label Heywerd a must have, the competition is going to be fierce for him.  It a recipe for a severe over payment.  It's okay to try, but we better have a Plan B & C ready in case.

Yeah, I agree with you completely. I think he is the ideal fit for this team's identity going forward but I have mentioned myself before that it isn't simply about being able to afford Heyward's asking price but about beating out our competition. Like you mentioned, the latter can be very steep. If Heyward can't be had, I think Aoki becomes my top choice with Denard Span coming next. Depending on the competition though, I'd make a strong push for Upton as well. He still fits the youth movement, and if Heyward was not in this FA class everybody would be mentioning Upton and his age as being a big incentive to sign him. I think will play at his current level through his age 32 season and even well from 32-34/35 which is what I'm guessing the contract's length will be. He has proved that he can remain productive at a pitcher's park and has a stronger track record than Cespedes who's one stellar year is  gong to determine his pay. 

As far as Cespedes, I would stay away from because of the reason I mentioned. Gordon fits very well into the lineup, but for $5 mil more per year and 2 more years, I'd rather go with the youth in Heyward/Upton... If we can make it happen. I'd actually take Aoki/Span over Cespedes/Gordon. Not that they will be more productive of course, just that they will provide a bigger bang for their buck. 

I like Prado at third still, Walker would be an offensive minded move, but I think it would mostly consist of taking on his salary (estimated to make around $10 million in arb).

which, IMO, is what we need to do. The dodgers have done it smartly...mostly. we 'can' do it too, if we do it right.

Either way, we're out of trade chips, ao thats gonna have to be the way to go (plus FA)

I'm not sure you want to label Heywerd a must have, the competition is going to be fierce for him. It a recipe for a severe over payment. It's okay to try, but we better have a Plan B & C ready in case.

lets hope. It seems like we have plan A, and when we get it, it...usually should have been plan C. And when we dont, plan B should have been plan F.

But agreed. I think we're all gonna get rocks for christmas, unfortunately. That said, im fairly confident we'll still (at worst) make some positive moves that will help. Doc made a good point in his post, if we just improve LF and 3B to average, we're a much better team.

My fear is still pujols, whose one magic month skews the overall stats. I thinks he can still be decent, and a bonafide power threat, just not (likely) to be a guy to carry a team. If we lose that for good, and its mike trout and some role players, its gonna be a long year.

Fingers crossed the FO gets it right.

I think the rangers would be happy to get anything for profar at this point

They're not going to trade away a 22 year-old shortstop with his potential and skill set for just "anything."  Now will that surgically repaired shoulder allow him to stay at SS?  Who knows.  His throwing program is reportedly coming along well but nobody will know anything until ST when he's expected to take the field again.  Even if 100% healthy and playing well he's probably looking at at least a half-season in the minors.           

Yeah unlikely he's traded now. Possibly next offseason but even then, they could still keep him around for 3B once Beltre is done. 

Profar has 4 more years of club control and has played 2b, ss, and 3B.  

Rangers also have Odor that split time at 2B with Profar.  Odor has played mainly 2B, so it looks like it's his position in the future.

And they have Andrus signed till 2023 at SS.

Beltre has one year left on his contract.  If the Rangers want to go with the future, Beltre for Wilson?  Both have one year left.  Both will probably be given QO'ers.  We let a young guy pitch.  They let a young guy play 3B.  

I have a feeling for LF, they will take the lowest price.  I think it's really between Cespedes, Upton, and Aoki.  I don't think that Heyward is in the mix due to price and he's a RF.  Aoki does make a lot of sense in that he might be the cheapest lead off hitter that's good.  Aoki isn't even in the top 50 for MLBTraderumors list.  So he might be had for say a 3/$30.  Cespedes is listed at 6/$140 (and listed as going to the Angels according to MLBtraderumors), Upton 7/$147, Heyward 10/$200

And if you go that way then Zobrist listed at 3/$51 or Murphy (because MLBTR has him listed as going to the Angels) 4/$56.  

You get Aoki and say Murphy for $24 million a year.  Then spend the Price 7/$217 or Greinke 6/$156 or Zimmerman 6/$126 or Cueto 5/$115.  

Just throwing stuff at the fan.  We all know it's not legitimate unless Loriasucks oks it.

Highly doubt Profar gets traded any time soon. Considering he still hasn't played in the field yet any team trading for him would be assuming a massive risk. Likewise from the Rangers' standpoint they would be selling while his value is low.

Profor has been around a long time. How much longer before he is out of options? I am asking because the Rangers have no room for middle infielders.

Profor has been around a long time. How much longer before he is out of options? I am asking because the Rangers have no room for middle infielders.

He has to be close to out of options.  He started in the minors when he was 17.  And he's now 22.  Although it looks like he was injured for the entire 2014 season.  I'm showing at least 5 seasons in the minors.  Although I don't know if any of them were rehab assignments.  In 2015 he spent a really short time in the minors (12 games) so might have been rehab.  So if he's at 4 years, he might have 1 year left of options.

Profar has 4 more years of club control and has played 2b, ss, and 3B.  

Rangers also have Odor that split time at 2B with Profar.  Odor has played mainly 2B, so it looks like it's his position in the future.

And they have Andrus signed till 2023 at SS.

Beltre has one year left on his contract.  If the Rangers want to go with the future, Beltre for Wilson?  Both have one year left.  Both will probably be given QO'ers.  We let a young guy pitch.  They let a young guy play 3B.  

And in one fell swoop.  I take it back on the Rangers plans.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/mlbtr-mailbag-profar-papelbon-moreland-red-sox-phillies.html

There’s just too much uncertainty as to whether he’ll ever really be able to play in the field again. He’s yet to put his questionable shoulder to the test in game action.