• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OCR on Scioscia and the next GM

nate

Again, the question is this. If we believe that Sosh is returning (I believe he is) then what kind of GM do we want to hire?

Do we hire a new style GM whose ideas will clash with the manager, or one that is in concert with him?

Well after reading that I agree that he is coming back. I have been pretty vocal that I thought he was gone if we don't make the post season.

The manager should have a say in what that philosophy is.

Bottom line is Sosh has a huge contract and barring some unforseen problem he will be here for several more years. Since that is the case it would behoove the new GM to include Sosh in his development of the organizational philosophy.

I would think the Manager should manage his team in line with the organizational philosophy.

Again, the question is this.  If we believe that Sosh is returning (I believe he is) then what kind of GM do we want to hire?

Do we hire a new style GM whose ideas will clash with the manager, or one that is in concert with him?

What kind of GM can we hire? If he can't dictate organizational philosophy then I'm not sure how much it matters.

Ultimately, it's a results driven industry.

Currently, as we speak, there are 10 other teams that are not in the playoffs. I'm sure that they are re-evaluating their system's.

As far as I can tell, the Angels system is working. How do I know? We're still significant in the 2015 season.

Go Halos!!!

That doesn't mean that the Angels cannot be improved with a new org wide philosophy.

We can hire a GM and give him a contract through the 2018 season, I guess.

Like I said in another thread...this GM search is quickly turning into a lasagna cook-off.

MS will choose the new GM blindfolded and seated at a table with fork and bib napkin.

I think the managers in the minor league system should all be forced to use righty/lefty platoon style lineups, ignoring the stats, just so players coming up to the big club won't be disappointed when they are benched, with superior numbers and a walkoff in the last game.

That will help get them ready for the "organizational philosophy".

Like I said in another thread...this GM search is quickly turning into a lasagna cook-off.

MS will choose the new GM blindfolded and seated at a table with fork and bib napkin.

I think the managers in the minor league system should all be forced to use righty/lefty platoon style lineups, ignoring the stats, just so players coming up to the big club won't be disappointed when they are benched, with superior numbers and a walkoff in the last game.

That will help get them ready for the "organizational philosophy".

First of all we can hire a GM, and give him a contract that is appropriate to his skill set and experience.  Food has nothing to do with the GM search.  Show me a link where Scioscia will be interviewing or looking for a new GM.  If Arte wants to hire a GM that is compatible with both his and Scioscia's organizational philosophy then it sounds like a good idea to me.

Every team uses lefty/righty mnatchups, and probably always will.  The idea that this team ignores statistical information is an overstatement.  To only use statistics instead of factoring in other personal conditions and situations  is just as bad as using no statistics at all.  The rest of your statement makes no sense at all.

If you don't like Scioscia's personality, the fact that he's too powerful or popular for your taste then say so.  Or if you don't like the fact that he's over weight, then say so.  The rest of the arguments above are based on things that are a "feel" by people who can't either substantiate them by facts, or use them as excuses for not addressing their personal biases directly. 

I am sorry you feel frustrated because Mike Scioscia is the manager of this team.  I agree that there may be other qualified candidates for that position who don't rankle your personal biases.  The bottom line is that I will take who we are given, and I wish the best of luck to whoever fills that position.  Now let's beat the crap out of Zito today, I'm outta here, I'm going to watch this team try to win eight in a row.

Edited by tomsred

Its really a square peg round hole sort of thing...   Unless everyone gets on the same page and works towards a common goal -- we are doomed.

I had a chat with my dad today about the problems between Jerry & Mike, and the way I explained it was thus. It's as if Jerry and Mike went to a gun fight. Jerry brought a whole bunch of bullets, and Mike brought a knife.

haha

i don't know how anybody can read scioscia's comments in this and not come away certain that everything that's been said of his desire for gm power are 100% accurate. if he's given that power, then forget this team. they'd be well on their way back to their dark days of doing business in foolish and antiquated ways.

Setting the attributes of the GM based on your manager, feels a bit bass ackwards to me.  Scioscia and his 10yr contract dominate the Angels FO landscape.  Works pretty good as long as the GM is subservient to the field manager, eg., Reagins.  Not so good when the GM wants to impose a General Manager strategy on the organization, particularly if it conflicts with the manager, eg., Dipoto. 

Given this job description, seems likely the GM will come from within, someone already acclimated to the Scioscia FO dominance.  Then the Angels continue to sail merrily down the path dictated by Scioscia, vet preference, contact play and all.   

Like I said in another thread...this GM search is quickly turning into a lasagna cook-off.

MS will choose the new GM blindfolded and seated at a table with fork and bib napkin.

With posts like this it's incredibly difficult to take you seriously.

If I remember correctly the agressive small-ball style of Scioscia's earlier teams was something they taught in the minors.

Maybe they stopped teaching that when Dipoto came aboard and that was a source of problems.

Dipoto probably wanted for the minor leaguers to learn to actually hit rather than to just sacrifice an out to advance a runner.

No, not really Nate. There is a difference between having Featherston and having McDonald. Featherston HAS to stay on the roster, period. You can release him, but then you invested months into him. So you basically have to wait it out, then put him in the minors next season.

Or you release him because he is a terrible player.

Scioscia's thirst for control seems to coincide with the dysfunctional performance of the team.  He's more interested in telling people above him how to think, how to do their jobs, etc, that he totally neglects the glaring problems under his direct control.  He's incredibly self-centered and arrogant. 

I'm convinced that winning the battle against Dipoto and having influence over his replacement has became an obsession for Scioscia. 

So much so that he failed to address the team's problems early on.  There's really no excuse for not winning the AL West this year with such weak competition.    

I had a chat with my dad today about the problems between Jerry & Mike, and the way I explained it was thus. It's as if Jerry and Mike went to a gun fight. Jerry brought a whole bunch of bullets, and Mike brought a knife.

haha

I'm browsing the forum while having a drink at the pub and choked on my beer with this. Well played.

Scioscia's thirst for control seems to coincide with the dysfunctional performance of the team. He's more interested in telling people above him how to think, how to do their jobs, etc, that he totally neglects the glaring problems under his direct control. He's incredibly self-centered and arrogant.

I'm convinced that winning the battle against Dipoto and having influence over his replacement has became an obsession for Scioscia.

So much so that he failed to address the team's problems early on. There's really no excuse for not winning the AL West this year with such weak competition.

To address the problems early on required the GM to find a suitable replacement for Joyce along with bullpen help. Neither Houston or Texas played like weak opponents.