• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OCR on Scioscia and the next GM

nate

Runs scored has nothing to do with defense and pitching, so why use that to refute my point?

Maybe, just maybe, the problem is with the coaching staff like many of us have been saying for years? You and Stradling will probably reject that notion, I realize that. One thing you can't really deny though is the horrible consistency year to year under Scioscia's leadership. This is yet another example of it.

You're right Sosh and his staff should have gotten extensions after last years team performed so well under their leadership.

You realize there has been a bit of turnover from year to year with the team don't you? It isn't like we have this stable of good players. Outside of Napoli who has left here and have been consistently good. I am looking for these players that Scioscia ruins. Trout and Calhoun have been good, Aybar is pretty consistent. Howie was consistent. Albert is past his prime. Cron is young and is going to be streaky because of the type of hitter he is. Freese isn't a lot different than he was last year. Cowgill was hurt. So, Iannetta has been less consistent from this year to last year.

You realize there has been a bit of turnover from year to year with the team don't you? It isn't like we have this stable of good players. Outside of Napoli who has left here and have been consistently good. I am looking for these players that Scioscia ruins. Trout and Calhoun have been good, Aybar is pretty consistent. Howie was consistent. Albert is past his prime. Cron is young and is going to be streaky because of the type of hitter he is. Freese isn't a lot different than he was last year. Cowgill was hurt. So, Iannetta has been less consistent from this year to last year.

A lot of teams experience regular turnover and still manage to be pretty consistent on offense and even defense and pitching too. 

Oakland is a good example despite 2015 being a terrible season for them.  I hate them as rivals but I envy what they're able to achieve with a new crop of unproven players every couple years.  The Angels should be able to accomplish the same or better. 

I wonder what the percentage of change (not exactly how to say it) there is from a player with a bad manager and coaching to ideal situations. I also kind of wonder how you would be able to figure that out since players are not very consistent from year to year. Could you contribute it to coaching or style of play if a player who is a .275 hitter becomes a .300 hitter. I would think it has more to do with majurity of the player. Subsequently if that player returned to being a .275 hitter would he be returning to their norm, or would that be on coaching.

Oh and I agree that lots of teams have turnover, but how often is our turnover for the better? It seems to me lately our turnover has gotten us Ibanez, Albert, Hamilton, Victorino, DeJesus. These are all players past their prime and because of that will be less consistent.

I wonder what the percentage of change (not exactly how to say it) there is from a player with a bad manager and coaching to ideal situations. I also kind of wonder how you would be able to figure that out since players are not very consistent from year to year. Could you contribute it to coaching or style of play if a player who is a .275 hitter becomes a .300 hitter. I would think it has more to do with majurity of the player. Subsequently if that player returned to being a .275 hitter would he be returning to their norm, or would that be on coaching.

Oh and I agree that lots of teams have turnover, but how often is our turnover for the better? It seems to me lately our turnover has gotten us Ibanez, Albert, Hamilton, Victorino, DeJesus. These are all players past their prime and because of that will be less consistent.

Those are good questions.  I don't know the answers. 

And, to be fair, when I spoke of consistency, a team finishing No. 1 in runs scored shouldn't be expected to do same every year.  Finishing within the Top 10 again shouldn't be too much to ask, IMHO.  They are currently No. 23 and third worst in the AL despite an additional 17 HR's this season. 

My feelings on Scioscia would be totally different if there appeared to be efforts to better understand the strengths and weaknesses of each player and where they need help, which would require him to embrace the stats that Dipoto wanted him to embrace.  He treats bad performances as isolated events that will fix themselves by "turning the page" and forgetting about them.  Instead of focusing on these 25 players' struggles, Scioscia is more focused on controlling the GM and the rest of the organization.  The results are obvious. 

Runs scored has nothing to do with defense and pitching, so why use that to refute my point?

Maybe, just maybe, the problem is with the coaching staff like many of us have been saying for years? You and Stradling will probably reject that notion, I realize that. One thing you can't really deny though is the horrible consistency year to year under Scioscia's leadership. This is yet another example of it.

naw, last years team is totally fifferent than this one. As already mentioned, howie/hamilton/and good iannetta. But it hoes further. A year older albert who has been a lot less consistent. We saw a completely different team this last june when pujols was hitting. Obviously he was unreal and you cant expect it. But its not a stretch to say his out of this world june performance this year kind of equated the loss of howie/hamilton. Once he went cold, and took his team carrying bat with him, we all saw the results. This years team has basically been the mike trout show with the occasional "wow that worked out" run or two in an inning he didnt bat.

As far as coaching, its the same coaches as last year so i cant see how it could be them. And i dont say that to defend them, just deductive reasoning. Remember when we all hated butcher...well has he changed, or do we have better pitchers now?...

As ove said before, im more team dipoto and would have prefered him staying over sosh. But as much as we need to give him credit on his moves like the trumbo trade, street, tropeano etc, he also needs to be held accountable for the offense.

As GM, he thought 2B could be filled with "somebody" (clean peanut). He thought cron could be a big bat. Ibanez, joyce etc. Bow, i absolutely understand his hands were tied, and why. Its not his fault arte spent too much on pujols/hamilton and wont spend again. But,you cant give credit for one thing and not point the finger at the other.

Something else has to be considered...trout had nothing to do with dipoto but has been the catalyst for the team. If we didnt have trout, how much worse would the rest of the team dipoto put together be?

And again, i liked dipoto