• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Uh oh...Iraq

Per wiki: In June 2014,The Economist reported that "ISIS may have up to 6,000 fighters in Iraq and 3,000–5,000 in Syria, including perhaps 3,000 foreigners

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant

Surely it's gone up since June but not sure where the 80,000 is coming from.

We have contributed to the chaos in some ways but we're hardly behind the reason for a number of their wars.

It's coming directly from the link you provided:

"It is reported to have 30,000 fighters in its ranks in Iraq and up to 50,000 in Syria[16] who, in addition to attacks on government and military targets, have claimed responsibility for attacks that have killed thousands of civilians"

It's coming directly from the link you provided:"It is reported to have 30,000 fighters in its ranks in Iraq and up to 50,000 in Syria[16] who, in addition to attacks on government and military targets, have claimed responsibility for attacks that have killed thousands of civilians"

And yet it contradicts itself. Found another source that suggests it's between 30,000-50,000. Whatever the number is, it's definitely more than I thought.

Eric is correct actually, apparently between syria and iraq the number is in the neighborhood of 80,000 which is shocking ( i cant imagine the orgainzation is capable of arming and coordinating all these people though, it may be more of a supporter type of number). However I still think the spirit of what I was trying to say is valid.  What i mean by the western interference, is that we have been propping up these malignant regimes in places like saudi arabia and for a long time iraq. Before that it was colonial activity.  The wisdom of these policies is certainly debatable.  However its not really secret that the west has contributed to the chaos in the region in a great number of ways.

When there was no resistance they were able to occupy a large amount of territory.  What we're seeing now though is that in reality they may be spread too thin and not really all that effective in the first place.

Also remember that is just combat troops and not the political party and supporters. The US troop deployment in Afghanistan peaked at about 84,000 but it represented our entire country plus other foreign countries were involved. So it is disingenuous to say 80,000 armed militia doesn't represent a much larger core.

Eric is correct actually, apparently between syria and iraq the number is in the neighborhood of 80,000 which is shocking ( i cant imagine the orgainzation is capable of arming and coordinating all these people though, it may be more of a supporter type of number). However I still think the spirit of what I was trying to say is valid.  What i mean by the western interference, is that we have been propping up these malignant regimes in places like saudi arabia and for a long time iraq. Before that it was colonial activity.  The wisdom of these policies is certainly debatable.  However its not really secret that the west has contributed to the chaos in the region in a great number of ways.

The west and the US in particular certainly have bloody hands and pretty much all of their attempts to meddle in foreign areas have failed miserably.  However, I don't give groups like Al Qeada and ISIS a pass for their evil behavior.  They make the choice to behave like this.

I haven't read this thread, so not sure it has been mentioned.

Did anyone else get a strangely "fake" vibe from the beheading video?

I don't mean to imply conspiracy nonsense, etc.

It just seemed decidedly different than other videos of that nature that have come out over the years.

Edited by mrwicked

Foreign ministers from the Arab Contact Group have pledged to adopt a unified stance against extremist ideology in the Arab world.

Foreign Affairs Minister Prince Saud Al-Faisal presided over the crucial meeting in Jeddah on Sunday.

Five Arab countries took part in the talks that focused on pressing regional developments.

Foreign ministers Sameh Shoukry from Egypt, Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al-Nahyan from the UAE, Khalid Al-Attiyah from Qatar and Ambassador Nawaf Al-Tell, adviser to the Foreign Affairs minister in Jordan attended the meeting.

Delegates expressed concern over extremist ideologies promoted by groups such as Islamic State (IS) that threaten regional stability and security.

They discussed the Syrian conflict and “challenges including the rise of terrorist extremist ideology”.

The talks focused on global geopolitical risks arising from ongoing conflicts in some Arab states and their impact on global peace and security. 

The ministers agreed on “the need to seriously work to deal with these crises and challenges to preserve security and stability in Arab countries,” said a report.

The Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al-Asheikh, had also called the group Islam’s No. 1 enemy.

Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said earlier that the meeting in Jeddah would address “the growing presence in Iraq and Syria of extremists,” notably the IS.

The rise of IS meant the “search for a political solution to the Syria crisis was needed more than ever”, it said

http://www.arabnews.com/news/620501

Little birdies tell me it's about to get ugly.

It sounds as if the religion of peace has about had enough of the religion of beheading children and making enemies of the rest of the world. Better that they take care of this problem rather than involve the US and other Western nations to police the area.

The official title of the Saudi king is Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques. This title they take seriously. I think they now fear that these clowns will make a move on Mecca so they will now possibly utilize some of their billions of dollars in American and European military gear.

I haven't read this thread, so not sure it has been mentioned.

Did anyone else get a strangely "fake" vibe from the beheading video?

I don't mean to imply conspiracy nonsense, etc.

It just seemed decidedly different than other videos of that nature that have come out over the years.

Forensics experts seem to agree.

"The beheading of American journalist, James Foley, at the hands of ISIS militants shocked the world but forensic experts have revealed the video was probably staged, with the murder happening off camera."

http://www.news.com.au/world/london-hiphop-artist-abdelmajed-abdel-bary-key-suspect-in-hunt-for-killer-of-american-journalist-james-foley/story-fndir2ev-1227034541900

Edited by mrwicked