• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Breaking: Eppard and Picciolo let go - Scioscia and Dipoto staying

nate

wow.  quite a few folks around here seem to know a lot about what was going on behind the scenes in the clubhouse and front office.  It would have been interesting to hear the specifics of what actually happened as it was happening. 

No one here thought the offense massively underachieved this year?  Just because they were good doesn't mean they were as good as they should have been.  I think it's pretty clear that eppard has taken the fall for Hamilton being a wreck, Trumbo taking a step back etc. 

All here thought the pitching staff should have performed better than they did?  I didn't see a bunch of guys underachieving, I saw a bunch of guys that lacked talent. 

Also, do we even know the responsibilities of the bench coach?  Maybe it was his job to give the manager information about matchups, or to process info regarding potential defensive alignments or to recommend an approach relative to info provided by advanced scouts.   It's funny how Maddon was a god and MS is worthless without him by his side yet Piccolo provided nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I have no freaking clue if these are the right moves, but neither does anyone else.   

That's a very biased analysis. It can easily be said that Blanton and Hanson underachieved, since they both had ERA's significantly higher than the year before. 

Well, I was hoping there would be a change, but I guess it is what it is.  I don't mind them letting those two go and we really have no idea what ground rules were put into place.  For all we know it could be a very short leash for both Butcher and Scioscia.  I totally get that very few of you are happy with this, but lets get through the offseason and see what kind of team Dipoto puts together for Mike before we decide whether or not the front office is incompetent. 

I am in favor of replacing Butcher.  How many pitching coaches, besides Duncan, really make a difference?  I don't think you can get Dave Duncan, I don't think you are getting Leo Mazzone.  Hell, I don't even know of any others that have a history of being really impactful. 

@Alden_Gonzalez: Several coaching candidates will be thrown around over the next few weeks. Two names to keep in mind: Wally Joyner and Tim Bogar.

@Alden_Gonzalez: Unlikely that Omar Vizquel gets consideration, simply because you need to have experience as a 3B coach to do that job. Need that feel.

It seems that this could set up a Joyner return as hitting coach after gaining experience most recently with the Phillies, and a Bogar promotion to bench coach as he is highly regarded.

I am in favor of replacing Butcher. How many pitching coaches, besides Duncan, really make a difference? I don't think you can get Dave Duncan, I don't think you are getting Leo Mazzone. Hell, I don't even know of any others that have a history of being really impactful.

Anyone would.look good with Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux or Halladay, Lee, and Hamels

Time for Lifetime to come in here and act like Rodney hasn't been one of the best relievers in baseball for the past two seasons without Butcher.

What don't you understand about Rodney sucking before he was an Angel and while he was an Angel?  Were you on here saying that Rodney should be given more innings when he was pitching for the Angels?  Of course not, because he sucked.  He hasn't been great this year, he has basically been Frieri.  Last year he had a dream season, those things happen?  Should we now say that the pitching coach for Tampa now sucks because Rodney isn't doing what he did last year?  Oh and I am in favor of replacing Butcher, but using Rodney as an example is complete bullshit, as is Santana as an example. 

No, I still woudn't give them credit even if for some act of god he has three good years in a row. Just because he can pitch three good years somewhere else doesn't mean he could do it here.

And what would your reasoning be behind thinking he couldn't do here?

Because one of the possible answers to that would be: Because the pitching coach here wasn't able to figure something out that another one did.

Edited by jshep

I doubt any pitching coach would have done anything with Blanton, hanson, and our bullpen this year.

The Blanton signing was terrible. No one liked it when it happened. Some on here were trying to explain how a fly ball pitcher with our fast outfield would flourish in our park. Hell, i even put the blinders on a couple times and thought that it just might work. Who were we kidding? He is awful.

It is no coincidence that one blanton and hanson were given the boot, we instantly became a good team

Because one of the possible answers to that would be: Because the pitching coach here wasn't able to figure something out that another one did.

Having met the dude a few times, the pitching coach is the least of it. He's just a weird dude that has a few bolts loose. Same with Walden , that dude is on another planet as well.

Well I guess it depends on where he has success. If he has success for a team that is in the playoff hunt then I would be impressed, like he did this year. But he was one of those guys that always had the stuff but never had the head to go along with the stuff. He was up and down from year to year. Blaming his inconsistencies on Butcher would be silly because it would mean that Butcher was only good at his job every other year. Dude is a headcase and always has been. It hurts me to say that because I always want our home grown players to do well.