• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto and Mike are staying??

kevinb

My guess is they are keeping Dipoto, not sure why they would leave him hanging and I'd assume there would have been some leak somewhere by now.   Cutting Dipoto means losing a lot of your front office and unless they have already been looking for people to fill those gaps I doubt they want to go into that half cocked.  Scioscia may be gone, but I'm betting Arte may have meant it when he said he needed to look in the mirror and it may have saved both JD and MS from getting axed...   Unless they fix the pitching mess, it won't matter who the manager and GM are anyway IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least to have them both be told it's improve or remove time in 2014, and if Arte has ANY brains at all, I'm hoping he has Bill Stoneman checking on old contacts. 

a ton of guys have commented how great Spring Training is and how Mike makes it fun.

Which, IMO is the reason his April and May results have become increasingly worse. Scioscia even talked at length about how it was important to get off to a good start this year, yet he didn't do what was needed to get it done...AGAIN!

That in itself is enough cause for him to be booted.

Ever stop to think the reason why the team did pooly in April was because the team wasn't very good!  After all, we had Hanson and Blanton going to the mound 40% of the time!

If you hadn't been boycotting games you would have noticed Wells, Hamilton, Blanton, Rodney, Blanton, Santana...etc, not playing at their previous capabilities.

I disagree, Wells, Blanton, Rodney, and Santana all played to their abilities under Scioscia.   With exception to Santana, they all suck.  Santana was inconsistent and always will be.  It was a mistake letting him go when it was "his turn" to have a good year.

Maybe part of the problem is that MS lets them have too much fun in the spring. After all, Spring Training is just that...training to get ready for the season. Scioscia's teams get off to notoriously slow starts almost every single year. You can't just punt April, it's 1/6 of the season. Maybe he needs to change his spring philosophy, and just get his players ready for when the bell rings. This has been sorely lacking throughout his tenure.

Does anyone have any real ideas forba possible sosh replacement?

I'm all for replacing him. Like scott, I've heard through the grapevine that the players aren't really big on him (thoug h IP brings up a very fair point about it depends who you ask).

But is there anyone out there that's available that people think would be a real improvement?

Looking at the past 3 years, some sort of collapse occured for the Halos late in the season.
2011 = 6-11 finish.

2012 = 12-10 finish (only a 5 game winning streak vs ChiSox and Seattle prevented an implosion).

2013 = 4 straight losses to Tejas.

At some point, they all add up to not just being on the players.    Oakland played well the past 2 seasons late, despite having younger teams (except for Colon and Crisp).  

I just don't think Scioscia can manage in critical spots of the season anymore here. 

Maybe he needs a fresh start, but in any case, something went wrong there.

How do we know that Dave Martinez couldnt get it done here, with the right help from Moreno and Dipoto?    I'd say that 7 bench coach seasons in TB was plenty of prep time, especially since Maddon gave him plenty of chances to call some shots in the dugout.   TB won at least 90 games in all but 2 of those 7 seasons.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I stated my opinion that he's a little too soft during spring training because it seems to lead to them not being ready for the season. He may be hard on them during spring training, who knows. Whatever he does during the spring needs to be changed because it does not have the desired effect that the team is ready to play when the games start counting. If it's a question of whether the team gels together, that should most definitely be handled as soon as possible during the spring.

I'm not sure what it is that causes this team to play like shit in April, but it certainly cost them a playoff spot in 2012, and led to this year being a lost cause by the end of May. Whatever it is, the opposite needs to happen.

Doesn't seem that long ago I posted some concerns about the spring training record and most here just shrugged it off like it didn't matter.

good times

Dodgers ST record: 13-20

Reds ST record: 13-20

Pirates ST record: 13-18

Cardinals ST record: 16-15

Rays ST record: 15-17

Rangers ST record: 17-17

Red Sox ST record: 17-17

Royals ST record: 25-7

Mariners ST record: 22-11

Astros ST record: 15-16

Twins ST record: 17-16

Marlins ST record: 13-16

Mets ST record: 15-15

White Sox ST record: 15-15

Phillies ST record: 16-17

Giants ST record: 16-15

Rockies ST record: 16-15

Etc.

What do ST records mean, again?

ST records dont mean a thing but I will tell you this, at ST this year I saw a ton of issues with the club especially with giving up a ton of runs late in the games. All of those problems manifested themselves during the season. ST can, not always, be very telling of what kind of club you have without looking at the final score. 

Edited by James

Got to get at least 2, if not 3, new relievers in here, unless Kohn suddenly rediscovers his first half of 2013 and Coello can pitch like he did for the first 10+ innings.

Frieri, DDLR, and Burnett (assuming full health) are the only sure things in the pen. 

Coello has promise.   Kohn needs to forget the last month or so in 2013.   Boshers needs some control work.

Morin is another possibility coming out of ST.    Jepsen needs to find another org.  

Maybe part of the problem is that MS lets them have too much fun in the spring. After all, Spring Training is just that...training to get ready for the season. Scioscia's teams get off to notoriously slow starts almost every single year. You can't just punt April, it's 1/6 of the season. Maybe he needs to change his spring philosophy, and just get his players ready for when the bell rings. This has been sorely lacking throughout his tenure.

As someone who doesnt want sciocia fired I would say that is fair criticism. However this year its hard to blame him because of the injuries and poor pitching.

As someone who doesnt want sciocia fired I would say that is fair criticism. However this year its hard to blame him because of the injuries and poor pitching.

The Angels had a mostly healthy team this year outside of a few injuries, which is to be expected for every team.

Edited by Poozy

Nice edit.

Three starting pitchers missed significant time. Not expected to have a blood clot or family member pass away.

If you guys are trying to use injuries as an excuse for this teams struggles then there's no point arguing anymore. The injuries the angels had are no more extreme than any other year. It's normal for every team. The only difference is the angels had no depth in the pitching department to deal with injuries.

You should never go into a season and not expect significant injuries to occur throughout the season.

Edited by Poozy